Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The bookshelf is waxed, in situ and full of cookery books. Welcome back Mary, Delia, Nigella and Jamie :rotfl: I've very pleased with the result and two more boxes have been removed from the annex :T

FDawg's crate got a proper clean up and change of bedding. We are going to have to take very good care of him over the next few weeks. He is now very underweight :( We've been feeding him well over the recommended potion size of food but it seems it hasn't been enough. He's now on a weight improvement plan being fed small portions every two hours with extra treats. My food shopping budget has taken a little hit this week as a result - FDawg's menu now includes fresh liver and chicken, sardines and yoghurt. He has been wormed so, if his weight doesn't start improving in a few days, I'll take him to the vet to make sure there's no underlying problem. I feel dreadful that we may have been (unknowingly) starving him but he's always had a delicate tummy so finding a food and portion size to suit him has been tricky. He's also very active and burns a lot of nervous energy. I'm hoping he'll start to fatten up now.

The WI meeting last night was an open air cinema at a member's house. Great fun and the film was good (Hidden Figures) but, although I wrapped up really well and took extra blankets, I did feel a bit chilly. I've been coughing a bit this morning but have taken a L£m$ip and that seems to have quietened things down.

I've been feeling a little stressed and overwhelmed these last few weeks. I've lost so much time to illness this year and am behind on everything. I need a plan to get back on track.

So I am off to the annex now to get at least one room cleaned and to start making an inventory of what's required. This afternoon will be ironing and I'll squeeze in a hour's gardening if I can. I am at home most of this week so would really like to make some in roads. I'm sure I'll feel the pressure lifting a little then.

The sun is shining here again in The Shire :D and the countryside is breathtaking. There is so much variety in the plant and wild life. A couple of days ago we spotted a Black Cap. It's the first time I've ever seen one and it was singing it's heart out. No wonder they call it the 'Northern Nightingale'. We've also found a wild bee nest :) I do believe that Shropshire is the most beautiful place in the world right now.

Hope the sun is shining on you guys too.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear FDawg is suffering :( but it always sounds like you're doing your absolute best for him, it really does.

I know exactly how you feel about getting behind because of illness - I'm still ridiculously far away from where I need to be, but I'm getting there - couple of big bramble roots hit the bin yesterday, which made me feel good :)

Take care with the cleaning today.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to hear about FDawg.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope FDawg is enjoying all those extra tasty treats :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    I hope FDawg is enjoying all those extra tasty treats :)

He thinks all his Christmases have come at once XSpender. Mr F is complaining now because he isn't getting any treats :rotfl:
    beanielou wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about FDawg.

It's only been two days on the 'Fatten up FDawg' diet Beanie but I do think I can see an improvement already.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Sorry to hear FDawg is suffering :( but it always sounds like you're doing your absolute best for him, it really does.

I know exactly how you feel about getting behind because of illness - I'm still ridiculously far away from where I need to be, but I'm getting there - couple of big bramble roots hit the bin yesterday, which made me feel good :)

Take care with the cleaning today.

It's been difficult getting his food right Karma. He came to us with a tummy upset caused by the food he was given at the Centre. We changed this to a high quality food but you have to make the change gradually and he didn't get on with the new food either. So we changed to a different flavour, again gradually, and that worked fine for him. However, the recommended portion size wasn't enough for him so we have been increasing this but you have to do that gradually too. So all the while we've been gradually making the changes he has been gradually losing weight. During the hot bank holiday weekend we were outside a lot and he had the run of the place and he just didn't stop racing around. It was after that we noticed how much weight he'd lost. But you're right, we are doing the best we can for him and have followed all the professional guidance. I think the 'Fatten up FDawg' diet is working but it's a bit early to tell yet.

I'm still behind just not quite as far - but hey, if we just move one stone at a time we'll have moved the mountain before you know it ;)

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    It took the whole of yesterday but the living room in the annex is now sparkling clean. And it looks lovely :T I was worried that I'd need to get the curtains dry cleaned - four pairs, two full length :eek: But they are very clean and a shake out and airing on the line in the sunshine has freshened them up beautifully. I also managed to rescue a very fly blown lampshade which now looks as good as new :T

I have made a list of the things needed, just some finishing touches really - cushions, pictures, etc.

Today I've had a tidy up in the house and got a couple of hours ironing in. Lunch was Vegetable Jalfrezi and supper was Summer Minestrone - Mr F is complaining that FDawg is getting all the meat :rotfl:

Tomorrow is Annex kitchen cleaning time.... yay

I hear the sun is returning tomorrow :) Fingers crossed.

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You have been a very busy bee :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I thought all dogs automatically get the best of everything.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've very impressed with all your annex-cleaning and box-putting-away :D
  • therocket_2
    therocket_2 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good work on the annex progress - it'll be sorted in no time! And poor F-Dawg, I'm sure he'll be throwing his new-found weight around very soon, as his diet sounds better than mine!!
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure