National phone number and taking payments

I have two queries regarding my small business.
1. I need a 0800 or 0345 etc number to direct to a mobile, can anyone recommend a cheap way to do this?
2. I need to take card payments over the phone, again any recommendations for a cheap provider?
Thanks very much

Comments

• rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We use Gradwell via High Heel Creative for our 0800 number and buy bulk minutes to mobiles. We use a lot of minutes so this is our best option.
    0330 or 0333 number is your best bet as you don't pay for incoming calls, but may pay for the diverted leg.

However, if you use someone like Gradwell you can set the line up as an app on Android or iPhone, on the latter we use Groundwire and it calls you like a normal number and you can make outgoing calls as well via this system.

Taking payments all depends on whether or not its ovr the phone or in person. If you need a reasonable car reader with good transaction fee's I would use SumUp.

Over the phone I'd use Stripe. You can also integrate Stripe into your accounting system like Xero so they have a payment link on your invoice or have a form on your website for customers to pay.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A voip provider assuming you have a smartphone and reliable internet. Anything other than than an 0800 number will be free for you to receive call other than a couple of quid a month for the number.

A lot of people don’t like 0345 etc so maybe consider a geographic number as these are free for many to call anyway.

Try speaking to Voipfone
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sandtree wrote: »
    A lot of people don’t like 0345 etc so maybe consider a geographic number as these are free for many to call anyway.
    agreed, calling an 0345 number is a con
  • 00ec25 wrote: »
    Sandtree wrote: »

agreed, calling an 0345 number is a con

Disagree.

All numbers that start with '03' should be charged at the same rate as standard landline numbers that start with '01' or '02'. If your phone tariff offers inclusive calls to landlines, calls to 0345 numbers should also be included on the same basis.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    CityLite wrote: »
    Disagree.

All numbers that start with '03' should be charged at the same rate as standard landline numbers that start with '01' or '02'. If your phone tariff offers inclusive calls to landlines, calls to 0345 numbers should also be included on the same basis.
    well they are not, I am charged for mine (01 & 02 is free)

I would much rather have a real number to call anyway, not a non geographic as it implies the business is to small to have someone available for enquiries. In that case just give me the tradesman's mobile no and let me call him direct.
  • pingtech
    pingtech Posts: 10 Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    well they are not, I am charged for mine (01 & 02 is free)

I would much rather have a real number to call anyway, not a non geographic as it implies the business is to small to have someone available for enquiries. In that case just give me the tradesman's mobile no and let me call him direct.

Then you need to to change your telephony provider and consider reporting them to Ofcom! Who are they? Name & shame them here.

According to Ofcom
    03 numbers: UK-wide non-geographic numbers

Calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02) ... and must be included in inclusive minutes in the same way.
    Mobiles numbers are also a non geographic number, and you will probably not be charged any less, and possibly a lot more, to call that than a 0345 or 0800 number, hence the OP's question.
  • I would avoid using stripe for taking payments over the phone as the charges are very high indeed.

All you need is a Virtual Terminal.

If you are not taking card payments face to face then you don't even need a card machine.
    The Virtual Terminal can be loaded on any mobile, tablet or computer and just requires you to log in and input your customers details.
    The payment then gets sent to your personal or business account depending weather you are limited company or sole trader.

Virtual terminal is probably the cheapest way to take payments full stop.

Be aware though, as your customer is not present, you will have to pay a non secure transaction rate which is normally about 0.4% higher than if you take payments face to face with a pdq machine.

I pay 0.4%+0.4% so 0.8% total for over the phone payments

Even with this added on, its nowhere near the 2.5% charged by stripe or the 3.5% charged by paypal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure