What is tradition to buy wife after giving birth?

Comments

• I got sapphires for my first baby: then when he saw what I had gone through, I got diamonds for the second, lol! We call it the maternity ring. :D
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You are a lovely man, as I got sweet FA both times!
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    You and me both :rotfl::rotfl:
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    And me (3 times) :(

And me - again even after 3. Tell a lie, the first time he did bring flowers into the hospital, supermarket sort, half dead. The girl in the next bed had half a green house worth :silenced:

The youngest was over 20 before I got an eternity ring.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • You are a lovely man, as I got sweet FA both times!

Ditto! Even moaned about having to get up early to be at the hospital for 6.30am on the day of my c-section :mad:

K xx
  • ems2
    ems2 Posts: 665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mrs Brown's ideas on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JddNDtC-Yrs

:D:D:D
  • RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Am I the only person who got nothing, but didn't feel resentful about it? It didn't even occur to me that I would get a present, so perhaps that's why, although I did remind my husband that mother's day would be the week our son was born (and it will be worth you checking the dates as well OP if your baby's due in March!) and so got a small present from my new baby.
  • morocha
    morocha Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    I did not even got flowers and i was sort of expecting them, but the midwives got a big box of chocolates, for helping me apparently. I was not impressed.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
  • DH wanted to get me an eternity ring, but I told him not to bother. I was just so overjoyed and happy about having my little girl - it would have been superfluous!
  • meritaten wrote: »
    A peice of heirloom jewellery is the tradition - but you can interpret this as you like!
    in some families there is a specific item of jewellery to be handed down........in other families a new item is bought.
    You sound lovely to be thinking about this now! my OH didnt buy me anything after any of our three children. When I commented that all the new mums on the ward had had flowers etc, he said (and these words are engraved on my memory, lol) 'Why? it isnt your birthday?'

DD (my first) arived 2 days before mothers day and I didn't even get flowers AND the card came from my own stock ( I make cards!!!) What I do have is much better though - I have a DH who pulls his weight, who gets up when one of the kids wakes, who takes them downstairs when they wake early on a weekend even though he'd really love the lie in (or lion as DD calls it!) himself just because I look like I need it and he knows how full on my days are with 2 wonderful children (who just happen to have disabilities). I have the sort of bloke who never buys me flowers but who does bring home bunches of the first British asparagus because he knows it's my very favourite even if it is so very expensive when it first appears. Eternity rings are beautiful and I certainly wouldn't turn one down (lol) but I'd not swap the wonderful supportive man I married 3 weeks ago for one.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,822
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Get a half eternity ring, eternity is too long.
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I got my eternity ring on our first wedding anniversary. Didn't get anything other than some cracking flowers after both our DD were born, but then didn't expect to either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure