DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 7

fermi
fermi Posts: 40,546
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
Forumite
Once again the old thread was getting a bit large, so here is a fresh thread. :)

The previous thread can be found here: Click ---> DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Or click here for the last page of posts on the old thread. ---> Last Page
Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    bexxie90 wrote: »
    Dont kow if you can help I just did a thread and would appreciate any reply,payplan have been too 'busy' to get back to me and I am scared witless,just had a new baby so not helping my rational side of thinking at the moment!

Restons have obtained a CCJ (with determination) and are going to charge me £198 a month on a £3087 debt which I pay £10 at moment due to mat pay,there is no way on earth I can afford this,so am assuming by their letter that they will bring Bailiffs in to take whatever they can,I am so scared it is unreal I am crying my eyes out and to some I am probably pathetic,it is a credit card debt,which when got current paperwork for CCJ I Phoned Payplan and did what they advised and admitted the debt (my baby was days old so head wasnt clear AT all)I am digressing I know but am desperate for some adivce
    x

Already posted this reply on a separate thread, but thought it would be a useful thing/letter to have at the start of this.

You need to ask for the amount to be redetermined.

Send recorded delivery direct to the court ASAP with a copy of your SOA.

Make sure this arrives at the court within 14 days of the date of the order.

CCJ Redetermination under CPR rule 14.13
    To the Court Manager

CLAIM NUMBER: XXXXXX

REDETERMINATION UNDER RULE 14.13 CPR

I apply for this matter to be reconsidered (redetermined under Rule 14.13 of the Civil Procedure Rules). Under rule 14.13 there is no court fee to make this application.

I am unable to pay the full Judgment instalment as ordered on (insert date of order) and submit that this has been set an unrealistic amount.

I request the Court reconsiders the Judgment.

To assist I enclose an up to date financial statement and list of other unsecured debts, which have been provided to me by PayPlan.

As you can see my budget shows I have £…. surplus/ £…. deficitafter essential living costs and also have (insert number of creditors in total).

Given my circumstances and considering my finances as a whole I am able to offer £…. monthly instalment and request the court set the Judgment at this amount.

Under rule 14.13 of the CPR it is clear that because the Judgement was granted without a hearing I am entitled to have this redetermined and if necessary transferred to my local county court.

My application is also compliant with the time limit as it falls within the 14 days from the original order.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Name
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Hi all, a question.... I'm in the process of setting up my DMP but was also wondering about trying to reclaim some charges from the relevant credit card companies . Is that a ridiculous idea ? I have copies of my statements over the past five years when they've made ridiculously high charges etc ,but do you think i would be wasting my time as I'm also telling them I can't afford to pay their requested minimium payment will they just tell me to get lost? Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Thanks

SS

DMP Thread member no: 380
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi all, a question.... I'm in the process of setting up my DMP but was also wondering about trying to reclaim some charges from the relevant credit card companies . Is that a ridiculous idea ? I have copies of my statements over the past five years when they've made ridiculously high charges etc ,but do you think i would be wasting my time as I'm also telling them I can't afford to pay their requested minimium payment will they just tell me to get lost? Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Thanks

SS

DMP Thread member no: 380

I believe quite a few have had success with this while on a DMP. Not sure how you go about doing it though. Hopefully someone will be along who will!
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • BB7
    BB7 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Can some one please tell me if DMP is the best option for me should i use a charity organisation or payment agency. I have been told that the C-Organisations work for the creditors. I have debts to HSBC for loan overdraft and credit card total of 14000 and another 6500 to capital one total depts 20500. I lost my job January 2009 and was receiving JSA until April 2010. I have not been able to find another job and have decided to go self employed. I am earning around 1100 a month with 240 left to pay debt's. I have sent a letter to all my creditor and a budget household sheet explaning my circumstances on the advice of citizen advice because dmp can't help me till i have been trading for 3 month's. I am terrified of what will happen next none of my family now about this i own my own home i am scared the creditors will take my home. Please can someone tell me if they can do this. I AM SORRY IF I HAVE PUT THIS ON SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD IT'S MY FIRST TIME AM NOT SURE HOW TO USE THIS FORUM....
  • ianmak
    Forumite
    BB7 wrote: »
    Can some one please tell me if DMP is the best option for me should i use a charity organisation or payment agency. I have been told that the C-Organisations work for the creditors. I have debts to HSBC for loan overdraft and credit card total of 14000 and another 6500 to capital one total depts 20500. I lost my job January 2009 and was receiving JSA until April 2010. I have not been able to find another job and have decided to go self employed. I am earning around 1100 a month with 240 left to pay debt's. I have sent a letter to all my creditor and a budget household sheet explaning my circumstances on the advice of citizen advice because dmp can't help me till i have been trading for 3 month's. I am terrified of what will happen next none of my family now about this i own my own home i am scared the creditors will take my home. Please can someone tell me if they can do this. I AM SORRY IF I HAVE PUT THIS ON SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD IT'S MY FIRST TIME AM NOT SURE HOW TO USE THIS FORUM....

Hi, you've come to the right place, and welcome! They can't take your home, that'll only happen if you stop paying your mortgage. Arrange an appointment with PayPlan (https://www.payplan.com) or CCCS (https://www.cccs.co.uk), who maybe able to help. Both are companies that provide free DMPs, but they should provide some advice too.

Also have a look at https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk for some useful info on DMPs and other options. Have a look through the previous thread (the link is the first post on this thread) and you'll get an understanding of what we get up to on this forum.

An idea maybe is to send token payments to your creditors (instead of your usual payment) with a letter explaining your position, until you get something more permanent in place. It may also be an idea to setup a basic bank account (without overdraft) with a bank with whom you have no ties). Again, have a look at nationaldebtline, and or this website for ideas of what to do next.

Hopefully more will be along to give advice.
  • BB7
    BB7 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2010 at 10:27PM
    Thankyou for that info, i have been worried sick i just want to get a handle on all of this and have some sort of plan so i can come out of this debt i find myself in. I will go to the websites you have mentioned and start the process and make the token payments. I will keep you posted i can't beleive this site even excisted. Could you also tell me if i can ask for a 30 day breathing space which is what one of the websites you mentioned suggested but until end of July they can't acually take on my DMP but they have given me the above mentioned things to do writing to my creditors sending a business and household budget plan. I have in the mean time opened a basic bank account with another bank. I hope i am do all this correctly feel as if i am going crazy.. So scared thaat they will start bombarding me with phone calls and it's going to be so stressfull as no one in my family now what i have got myself into...
  • Hey

So I'm coming up to my second year in sept - what's everyones experience? At the moment my interest is frozen, I've trippled the payment amount in this time as I have paid arrears off my mortagage, council and HP - I'm just worried they will start charging interest again
    TOTAL: (1.9.2008) £[strike]20,971.00[/strike] (02.12.10)£11,006.07
    £9,262.93 Paid off (Since LBM) :D
    Debt Free Date [strike]2021[/strike] 2015
    Savings £100 Dec NSD 11/20, Sealed pot challenger 1043
    :xmassign:
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Hi i did my dmp with cccs on line yest and i am awaiting pack. I have a creit card payment due and have sent them an on line banking payment of a pound and will follow this up with a template letter as payment due date not till 23rd anyway,is this ok or are you suppose to send postal order? They cant access my bank for money as no d debit and not bank debts?
    Thanks in advance!x
    Btd
  • ianmak
    Forumite
    edited 10 June 2010 at 11:08PM
    BB7 wrote: »
    Thankyou for that info, i have been worried sick i just want to get a handle on all of this and have some sort of plan so i can come out of this debt i find myself in. I will go to the websites you have mentioned and start the process and make the token payments. I will keep you posted i can't beleive this site even excisted. Could you also tell me if i can ask for a 30 day breathing space which is what one of the websites you mentioned suggested but until end of July they can't acually take on my DMP but they have given me the above mentioned things to do writing to my creditors sending a business and household budget plan. I have in the mean time opened a basic bank account with another bank. I hope i am do all this correctly feel as if i am going crazy.. So scared thaat they will start bombarding me with phone calls and it's going to be so stressfull as no one in my family now what i have got myself into...

The idea of paying a token payment (in most cases between £1 & £5) is to allow enough time to get some kind of agreement in place. At the same time you're showing the creditor that you are aware of your problem, and trying to pay something back (hence 'token' payment), rather than shirking your responsibilities.

By doing this, you'll also be able to build some kind of slush fund, that will help in the times ahead.

Regarding breathing space, you could phone each creditor up, explaining the problem and say you've sent token payments in the meantime. They may hold off the letters and phonecalls for a period of time, or suggest something else...
  • ianmak
    Forumite
    edited 10 June 2010 at 1:00PM
    Hi i did my dmp with cccs on line yest and i am awaiting pack. I have a creit card payment due and have sent them an on line banking payment of a pound and will follow this up with a template letter as payment due date not till 23rd anyway,is this ok or are you suppose to send postal order? They cant access my bank for money as no d debit and not bank debts?
    Thanks in advance!x
    Btd

If any of your debts are related to your bank account (e.g Barclays & Barclaycard), then they could dip into your bank account and take what's owed, known as - setting-off - so it's always wise to set up a clean account. In addition, if you're including any overdraft debts from your main account, then this will also mean the need to set up a new account.

With regards token payments, some use cheques, others online, others again postal orders. The latter seems to be preferred as it allows some separation from your new account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport