Struggling with bills, is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Nickynoo1
    Nickynoo1 Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With regards to the council tax. Do you mean you haven't paid last years(2004) or are they asking for 2005 up front. And have you claimed your 25% discount for living alone?
    16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
    01/08/17 £7643.69
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Bains and Earnst charge you money that could be spent on reducing your debt, you could be out of debt a year sooner and save a lot of money if you just work it out yourself. I know you perhaps want to get rid of the worry from all this debt but just passing it over to B&E is not the sensible route.

Have you downloaded the snowball calculator (search the forum for a link) and worked out how much sooner your debt free date will be if you pay off an extra £10 a month? Sky is a luxury not a necessity and while you still have such high debts is something you unfortunatly can't afford.

Your BT bill seems high, have you registered with call18866? THat should bring the bill down by a bit. When is the mobile up for renewal? You need to cut down how much you use it - ban yourself from going over your minutes, and starting looking for a better and cheaper plan. Same with broadband, there are some companies offering unmetered 512 for £9.99 or £14.99.

How much do you spend on food a month? Do you set yourself a budget and stick to it? Take out your food budget in cash each month so that you cannot overspend. Go to moneysaving oldstyle and start reading the posts to get hints on reducing the food bill.

Some young people may be going out spending £100 a night on drink, they are either on a higher salary than you, have no debts, or are living beyond their means and working towards a worse situation than you are in at the moment. If you work really hard to get all this paid off in the next couple of years then you can afford to do all that if it is really what you want. People spend £100 to drink so much they wake up in a pool of their own vomit, feel awful all sunday and can't remember what they did. I have a motorbike so if I want to have fun I go out for a ride, drinking to excess doesn't appeal to me anymore. My bike may depreciate each year but Sunday morning what do people have to show for their £100? A hangover and a half eaten kebab.
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    Have to say that I agree with the above regarding the debt management companies. The process just ends up prolonging the agony of the debts. Make a concerted effort to clear the most expensive debt first, leaving yourself enough to get by on each month, and once you've cleared the card, cut it up and close the account.

There's plenty on other threads to help you on your way!

CP
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    This isn't helpful but it seems ironic that you're going for a debt management company and have Sky - every other ad on Sky seems to be selling an expensive financial service. You don't need them - get free help.

And, at the risk of sounding like your mother, you can't afford Sky, mobile and broadband! They are luxuries - you can afford essentials and an occasional treats only. The truth is you are in debt and will stay there unless you change things. Sorry! Don't mean to be brutal when you're down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure