Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Walaboobah
    Walaboobah Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I've not had any issues with EDF, they are the cheapest in our area and today I have just changed our tariff and saved £27 a month as we were in credit after the relatively mild winter.

My DD has not gone up or down unless I change Tariff since I switched to the Blue+Price Promise tariffs a number of years ago. My monthly DD is now around £50 a month cheaper than it was this time last year.

Previously I was with SWALEC (Scottish and Southern), switched to them from British Gas as at the time they were providing Sainsburys but within a couple of months of switching Sainsburys stopped using them so we were stuck with SWALEC.

Everytime I do a price comparision EDF comes fairly close to the top, aside from Extra Energy and having read some of the horror stories on here regarding them, I think I'll leave them well alone!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Walaboobah wrote: »

My DD has not gone up or down unless I change Tariff since I switched to the Blue+Price Promise tariffs a number of years ago. My monthly DD is now around £50 a month cheaper than it was this time last year.

Consider yourself VERY lucky -I ,too, was on various versions of Blue price promise from 2011(?) to 2014 -but my DD was mucked about with at least 6 times after meter readings in the early years.:rotfl:Always upwards!!
    On every occasion it was returned to the set figure - despite dire warnings from CS staff about debt!!
  • EDF Energy claim I cannot switch supplier as they are the only supplier who uses 2 circuits and 4 meters in a certain way. One circuit and 3 meters are called "warmwise"; the other circuit and one meter is for nightstore heaters.
    Warmwise takes 3 meter readings :- day, evening, and night (but not the nightstores);
    The 4th reading is the night-time nightstore.
    Does any other supplier use this system?
  • I switched to EDF 3 months ago:

EDF have asked for a reading, but do not allow me to do it online. I pointed out to them as I transferred, that the page was set up incorrectly, showing an Economy 7 meter type reading page, with two boxes. I have a Smart Meter, which only gives one electric reading. They did nothing in the next 3 months to fix anything.

I even sent them photos of my meters, so they could get serial numbers from it, etc, and they lost those. I found this out when I called them this week, so I have re-sent them.

I tried their Live Chat service, raising a complaint. They misunderstood the problem, and promptly closed the complaint, even though I contacted them within the 5 day timescale to say "keep this problem open!".

They have caused problems with my bank account, as they originally set up separate payments for Gas and Electricity, and then reverted to one, without any notification.

Their call centre takes a long time to answer - I spent an hour waiting and on the phone to them this week trying to get this sorted.

So, to sum up, they will keep taking your money, but not do anything constructive to produce an accurate bill. Not impressed.
  • I must confess I'm feeling rather desperate. We recently switched to EDF after endless problems with Co-op energy, who couldn't provide us with a bill for six months. (We're now paying off the agreed final bill with the Co-op).

I agreed a monthly direct debit with EDF of £68 pcm, and have submitted meter readings. Plus someone came to read the meter and I have just received a bill.

However, their email informed me that they had increased the amount of our direct debit, and when I looked it had been increased to £114 a month!

Our final bill from the Co-op gave our annual energy use as 4808 kwh (electricity) and 7232 kwh (gas). However the "projection" for the EDF bill, based on one quarter's use from July to September, is 4772 kwh electricity and 7795 kwh gas.

I've zoomed over to the cheap energy club and have sent EDF an email asking them what on earth is going on. From reading this thread, it looks as though their computer may have come up with a rather gung ho estimate.

I am tempted to switch (again) as our account is currently in credit.

Will this nightmare never end?! :mad:
  • BlueEyedGirl
    BlueEyedGirl Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! I've been Money Tipped!
    I was with EDF for just over two years then I switched to another supplier because it was cheaper, I had no major issues with EDF other than the fact they barely read my meter in that 2 year period and access was available they just didn't send anyone around!
  • oftm
    oftm Posts: 34 Forumite
    I completed the purchase of my flat today and EDF are the current suppliers however contacting them and getting anything done is hard work. I haven't dealt with energy companies before so hopefully it's just them and they aren't all this bad. All I wanted to do was give them meter readings however after 25 mins on the phone listening to elevator music I'd had enough. Why would it be exceptionally busy on a Friday at 5:30pm? Anyway trying to register isn't any better. At first the email verification wouldn't work (two hours later it finally started working?), now all I get is an error when trying to log in. "(REF 48) Sorry - we are unable to log you in at this time due to technical reasons. Please try again later." Technical reasons, eh? So eventually just gave meter readings to the online agent who says they've been updated (I'm going to post them to them just to be sure). I've initiated a switch to another provider.
  • I have been with npower for god knows how many years! Did not want to switch, my husband did this for me but he passed few years ago, luckily my son helped me switch..so far the switch went kinda ok with few hiccups so my son said..you have to keep on top of them with readings, they said they had readings on switch date and next thing they didn't! What a carry on. The live chat is a hit or a miss and it is India you chatting with!! They have no clue some of them! So far so good but annoyingly a cheaper tariff came out during switch and they could not understand this could not be changed when I was in middle of switching!! This has taken over a month to switch and now waiting on final bill from npower, they were given wrong readings from EDF! Anyway better for me as lower readings..hope to see more reviews of these guys, only one so far this year..good luck in this nightmare switching process, thanks to my son helping me out!
  • laroc
    laroc Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    With EDF my normal monthly payment is £79 per month
    Feb 1st they took £228 - I was informed it was a protection against the severe winters that we have been having, which usually mean an increase in usage - WHAT !!!!!
    After 5 calls I still cant get them to refund it, instead they have reduced my DD`s to £49
    Now escalated complaint to Senior Manager
    How come with their Price Promise, Martins Energy Club states that I can save £336 by moving
    As my Fixed Rate contract ends in 20 days, I will be jumping ship
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 February 2016 at 3:54PM
    laroc wrote: »
    With EDF my normal monthly payment is £79 per month
    Feb 1st they took £228 - I was informed it was a protection against the severe winters that we have been having, which usually mean an increase in usage - WHAT !!!!!
    After 5 calls I still cant get them to refund it, instead they have reduced my DD`s to £49
    Now escalated complaint to Senior Manager
    How come with their Price Promise, Martins Energy Club states that I can save £336 by moving
    As my Fixed Rate contract ends in 20 days, I will be jumping ship

3 words - Direct Debit Guarantee

Must say I never had such a surprise with EDF. They did often attempt to change the monthly payment, but always advised me beforehand as they are obligated to do. A quick phone call soon had the original agreed payment reinstated before they could collect the new amount.

I obviously knew best, as come the eventual switch away, the account ended up almost neutral.

Wait until you eventually cancel the DD mandate after you switch away and have gotten your final bill (assuming they owe you money) - that's when the fun & games with EDF started for me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback