Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• eaglesrjh
    eaglesrjh Posts: 376 Forumite
    Just wanted to put here that i've been an EDF customer for just over a year and am very happy so far.

last autumn decided to get a grip on finances and bills and found out we where on a standard tariff with Scottish Power, did the comparisons and EDF came out well.

Switch went fine, though I was certain to keep both companies informed of the meter readings.

direct debit payments have been consistent, any changes well documented in an email and always come out on time.

Submitting a meter reading is easy online and doing 1 for each supply a month allows me to keep an eye on usage and the debit/credit balance, I've had no issue with EDF suddenly massively changing the direct debit.

Best bit though is they are really flexible in allowing you to move tariff and tell you if they have a cheaper tariff on your bills which can be generated monthly if you supply a meter reading.

We initially were on Blue + price promise fixed March 2015, for a long time this was best for us., in october they released Blue+ price promise fixed March 2016, however this was only cheaper for gas, not electric. Called EDF and they moved my gas to the new cheaper tariff and left the Electric on the old one.

was then looking to change the electric supply/tariff as march 2015 was not too far away, EDF now had a tariff fixed to May 2016, 2 phone call again put the Electric on this new, slightly cheaper tariff.

I then looked at my latest bill and the gas would be better on this new tariff too, again 1 phone call )to a freephone number) and it's sorted.

In short so far EDF's service has been great, an easy to use website, polite helpful on the phone and tell you when you can safe money.

Time will tell how good they are when in the future we decide to leave, can't be much worse than Scottish Power who I had to argue with to get my overpayment back from!!

all in all, EDF good so far.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • elizabeth2015
    elizabeth2015 Posts: 29
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2015 at 4:16PM
    I was with EDF for electricity for over 10 years, and pretty efficient and no problems. Except my bills were going steadily up and about 3 years ago took the plunge and, using martin lewis's advice and site, moved to the Co-op. EDF did make it a bit difficult by disputing my readings, but eventually got there after a couple of months.
    However, some months down the line I moved back to EDF as they had a better offer and I moved gas as well. The switch was smooth and the website good and meter readings easy to enter and direct debits were automatically adjusted after giving several readings (had previously payed paper bills so was nervous of DDs). But my fixed tariff is up soon so, having done the calculations, will be better off with Eon for electric and Ebico for gas, so am in the process of leaving EDF again. I hope they dont make it difficult this time as I would like to feel that I could come back to them should they offer a better deal. I felt they were more professional than the Co-op, who were very good on the phone, but the paper billing and website were not as clear as EDFs, in my opinion.

Update: 24th Feb. Yeah they seem to be drawing out the switching process again, disputing meter readings. I'm sure they do it on purpose.
  • In 2011 I moved from EDF to British Gas and since then I have changed suppliers on a regular basis, since none of them reward loyalty. Today 27/2/15 I received a letter from EDF saying they had been unable to obtain a final payment from April 2011, when I moved from them to BG and was passing the debt to an agency to collect. I rang them and explained: 1) they had never sent a bill or any other correspondence about the 'debt' and as far as I was aware the account was finalised in 2011. 2) the letter said I should log into MyAccount, which they closed in 2011. I asked if they would reactivate the account so that I could check the readings & payments made at the time and was told No; 3) I explained that I was an on line customer and had not kept copies of the bills and they said they would send me the last 2 bills, but are likely to charge me for it. 4) I explained that I recalled a telephone call to them in 2011 in which I was led to believe the final payment, I paid by visa card was closure. After calling back they confirmed they had taken £40 from my visa but that was not final - but their records did not show why they asked for £40. Previously my payments had been direct debit but this had been closed after two months when British Gas said the transfer had been finalised. So I anticipate months of arguing to come and it would seem I could be listed as a bad debit, having in my 60 years, always paid bills on time - being of the school what you cant afford don't have. Has anyone else suffered this type of consumer bullying? And what did you do?
  • I've been with EDF for the past couple of years and been very happy till now. Fixed rate has now finished, so checking comparisons and bills and today taken own meter readings only to discover their last electricity reading is completely wrong! Today my meter reads 16838. EDF's last reading reading shows as 18443. It would be great for us if meters ran backwards but somehow I doubt this is the case!!! The website doesn't allow my reading to be entered and on a Sunday there is no one to speak to. Be warned -check their readings carefully - this is such a basic, unacceptable error. It will be interesting to see if they do the obvious basic thing and send someone to re read the meter.........
  • Thought I'd add a small review of my switch process. I initiated a switch from EON to EDF via the Cheap Energy Club, and everything went smoothly (so far) until EDF (the new supplier) asked for an initial meter reading, which would also be given to EON (the old supplier), so as to be able to get an accurate final bill from them. I supplied this online. A week later I received an email stating that "because I hadn't supplied a meter reading, an estimate was used".

Upon calling to raise a dispute (don't use the online chat, it's awful), as the estimate was much more than I use,it was confirmed that although they received the reading on the day I submitted it, it wasn't actually used for the switch. But because the discrepancy is below a threshold number of units, then instead of getting EON to reissue their final bill with the correct value, I simply wouldn't be charged by EDF for any usage until I exceed the incorrect estimate. However, note that I still get overcharged by EON on their final bill (for more units than I've used), and EDF still takes its monthly debit.

So the TL;DR is that you should submit your initial meter reading by phone if possible.

Incidentally, EDF's phone-based customer services were great, and called back a few days later to update me on the dispute's progress. The online chat, as seems to be the way with most online chat, basically said "Yes, I see the problem, and I'll fix it for you", after which nothing changed.
  • Sledgehead
    Sledgehead Posts: 131 Forumite
    Just to add that they do seem to love fiddling with the DDs. Mine have ranged from £143 to £96. I would have been quite happy to stick with the high figure, but I'm thinking they like to drop prices near the end of a fix to make moving to another supplier seem unattractive. My advice: forget £DD and yearly costs and stick with good ol' Standing charge/day and p/kWh when comparing. The rest is meaningless. Beyond all that they've been okay I guess.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2015 at 2:21PM
    Sledgehead wrote: »
    Just to add that they do seem to love fiddling with the DDs. Mine have ranged from £143 to £96. I would have been quite happy to stick with the high figure, but I'm thinking they like to drop prices near the end of a fix to make moving to another supplier seem unattractive. My advice: forget £DD and yearly costs and stick with good ol' Standing charge/day and p/kWh when comparing. The rest is meaningless. Beyond all that they've been okay I guess.

I agree that their software that changes / estimates the DD amounts is not fit for purpose. Mine's just been put down to £44/month (dual fuel), so I'll have to go through the minor inconvenience of getting it raised again to what it should be (£65 - we're relatively low energy users). However this is a 30 second online job - their website is quite good I think.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    I agree that their software that changes / estimates the DD amounts is not fit for purpose.

Surprising that this is STILL an ongoing issue -I left EDF after a couple of years (April 2014) -and that had been the main bugbear with EDF customers for the previous couple of years.:rotfl:
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    thinkable wrote: »
    Thought I'd add a small review of my switch process. I initiated a switch from EON to EDF via the Cheap Energy Club, and everything went smoothly (so far) until EDF (the new supplier) asked for an initial meter reading, which would also be given to EON (the old supplier), so as to be able to get an accurate final bill from them. I supplied this online. A week later I received an email stating that "because I hadn't supplied a meter reading, an estimate was used".

Upon calling to raise a dispute (don't use the online chat, it's awful), as the estimate was much more than I use,it was confirmed that although they received the reading on the day I submitted it, it wasn't actually used for the switch. But because the discrepancy is below a threshold number of units, then instead of getting EON to reissue their final bill with the correct value, I simply wouldn't be charged by EDF for any usage until I exceed the incorrect estimate

....check your first bill very carefully -if you provide actual readings which will naturally be much lower than the computer thinks they should be (based on the erroneous high start figure) it may well reject your readings and insert further "estimates".
    "Computer says NO !!":eek:
  • Yes, and as I expected, when I tried to submit a reading this morning it was rejected. I wish I'd never bothered with all this, frankly.
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ....check your first bill very carefully -if you provide actual readings which will naturally be much lower than the computer thinks they should be (based on the erroneous high start figure) it may well reject your readings and insert further "estimates".
    "Computer says NO !!":eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure