Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Be aware that buried in the tariff terms of conditions can be a clause which requires you to have a smart meter. There was nothing mentioned about this via the Energy Club switch tariff details nor in my contract. I am 3 months into the fixed deal but I fear if I refuse a smart meter they may force me onto a more expensive tariff. With £60 exit fees switching to EDF may have been an expensive mistake.
    It seems to me that such a requirement would be a key fact in the tariff information. If it has been "buried" in the Ts&Cs then I would consider making a formal complaint if they request the installation of a smart meter and you really don't want one.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,597
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A positive review for EDF......

Just got my first bill after switiching and as expected it was wildly out because it was based on estimated readings and I have an unusual pattern of use. I had submitted readings but they hadn't been used because they were so far adrift of what the computer expected.

After recent very negative experiences with nPower and First Utility I took a deep breath and prepared to do battle.....

In reality, I got a response to my instant message in a few minutes, the agent fully understood the problem and 5 minutes later I have a revised bill.

Can't do better than this, EDF is by far the cheapest of the big suppliers for me at the moment and good service too......
  • gareth71
    gareth71 Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2019 at 4:13PM
    {Apologies, it turns out this was a duplicate post - I didn't think I'd already posted about my awful experience with EDF last year, but it seems that I had - look for post number 175 in this thread (for some reason I can't post a link to it). Have edited this to remove duplicate information.}
  • I am somewhat perplexed, not to mention annoyed at the time I have wasted setting up my switch. Tried to take advantage of the Big Energy switch with MSE cheap energy club, which ended last week. Chose EDF fixed tariff until June2020, which seemed to be a good deal compared to the awful one I inherited from my house's previous owner. Received 2 duplicate copies through the post of the agreed deal with their welcome pack and small print, with the advice that I would be sent my contract soon, which was in course of preparation. Now I have just received an email stating that they will not be proceeding with the contract and have cancelled it, with no reason given.
    I cannot think what their reasoning is; although I have Economy7 it was mentioned that this would not be a problem, and the tariff description does state "E7". I have always paid bills on time and have no credit problems etc. Any ideas?
  • Consumerist
    Forumite
    Lozzer99 wrote: »
    . . . Now I have just received an email stating that they will not be proceeding with the contract and have cancelled it, with no reason given. . .
    Any ideas?
    Strange indeed !

Two possibilities occur to me: (1) something in your credit file or (2) they think that you have cancelled the switch.

Since you used CEC to initiate the switch, you might get some explanation from CEC if you email them.
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Terrible experience with the worst CS I’ve ever had.

Can not get an answer to the most basic question from the Indian chat room who are completely clueless.
    All the online tariffs do not allow you to phone them and only communication allowed is through the Indian chat room .
    Very glad I am now leaving and happy to be paying the £ 70 early termination fee, sometimes money is not everything.
  • I have recently switched to EDF through the Cheap Energy Club. I did not choose the cheapest tariff as this stipulated a smart meter must be installed, and I do not want one. There was no mention of requirement of smart meter when I chose the Easy Online Exclusive May20v2 tariff. One day after my cooling off period, I received an email insisting that I make an appointment for a meter to be fitted. I immediately contacted EDF on their live chat and was told that I had agreed to have one fitted as per their "terms & conditions". I was informed that if I did not want a meter I would need to change tariff and pay the £70 early exit fee! Now I'm not sure what my rights are. Any savings I have made by switching will be swallowed up by the exit fee plus I will have to change to a more expensive tariff. :(
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You agreed the ts and C's

That's your issue

So either stick to what you agreed when accepting the conditions prior to signing up or pay up the early exit fee you also agreed to

Always read a contract before you sign it is this (expensive) lesson but it could have been something much worse
  • Consumerist
    Forumite
    If you have a copy of their Ts&Cs for this tariff and there is no mention of a smart meter installation being required then you can start EDF's complaints procedure.

Currently, the only similar tariff names I can see on the EDF website are (1) "Easy Online" and (2) "Easy Online +Smart Home" so can't help with the Easy Online Exclusive.

Maybe someone else on these forums has the Ts&Cs for your tariff who can help you out.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite

Maybe someone else on these forums has the Ts&Cs for your tariff who can help you out.
    https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r1223r883.pdf

Does include the agreement to have a smart meter installed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport