PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Aldahbra wrote: »

I'm a bit worried by this, milk it the main source of calcium, are you sure that they still getting enough when their milk is diluted? Children can only use calcium to strengthen bones up to about 20 after that it is all about maintaining what you've already got. So if you don't get enough calcium as a child then there is nothing you can do about it later.

Hi,

As far as I'm aware the calcium content is the same for different dilutions of milk, so FF has the same calcium as Sk, only the fat content is reduced.

Milk is a source of calcium, but not the only and for many people not the main source. Calcium can be found in broccoli,red kidney beans and tofu for example and apparently a portion of watercress (however much that is) has almost double the calcium as a glass of milk.

XK :)
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    I tend to use gravy granules but would like to try and make that myself - does anyone have a good recipe? Thank you :).

I have recently mastered the art of "proper gravy" - mainly through not having an oven for 9 months! I have been cooking joints of meat in the slow cooker and using the combi-bit of the microwave for the spuds. Basically, when the spuds have about 10-15 minutes left, I take the joint out of the SC, pour the juices into a pan and return the joint to the empty SC to "rest". I put a teaspoon or two of cornflour into a wee jar (like the sort that mint sauce or horseradish come in), add a bit of water, put the lid on and shake like mad to get a runny flour/water mix. This is added to the pan with the SC meat juice and it goes on the hob to bring to the boil - stirring to make sure it don't go lumpy. When its thickened, taste & add salt, gravy browning and/or a wee bit of stock cube if the colour/taste dictates. Not sure what I'd use if I did the meat in the oven. Probably just a stock made with stock cube but haven't been that adventurous yet - particularly as OH still says he prefers b!sto :rotfl:
    chelseabun wrote: »
    But strawberry jam is meant to be a bit runny!

I always go for really cheap shop jam because I don't like too much on my toast - a scrape of what OH refers to as "jam juice" is enough to satisfy me. Perhaps I should try craigywv's runny jam for myself.

Had a bit of a failed mission yesterday. I had a couple of meals pencilled into the plan for the beginning of the week so wasn't planning on shopping just yet but forgot to take the joint out of the freezer and we'd invited my ma over for dinner. And I used the last of my yeast putting a loaf in the BM. So I decided to do the whole weeks meal plan and stock up on what was needed for that as well as getting a chicken for dinner. Ended up spending £27.88 in Ald! but didn't get the yeast. So went to the tiny A$da round the corner but they aren't big enough to stock the green allinsons yeast. But OH spotted that they've got a better selection of smartprice biscuits than the big a$da we usually use, so he stocked up on biscuits and walkers crisps which cost me another £4.51. And then we went to the MrM which is on the way home if we go the long way round. They didn't have the green allinsons yeast tins either, but at least they had the sachets so I bought one for emergency use only! and stocked up on a jar of OH's favourite Morrocan sauce too - mostly so I can read the ingredients and remind myself how it tastes to have a go at making my own next time :rotfl: So another £2.17 there too.

And I still need to buy a tin of yeast! But OH opened his last bottle of coke yesterday evening so I'd probably need to visit MrT on my way home one night this week anyway. Might call tonight as I'm going out again not long after I get home. If I'm in a rush, I might just be able to stick to yeast-and-coke-and-nowt-else!

Still £92.91 / £200 with meals planned for the next couple of weeks give or take. Feeling quite comfortable with the challenge this month so far :D
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cleggie wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

I have a load of bacon to use up, so am wondering what you would use it for (to go into main meals for dinner)?
    The only thing i can think of is carbonara, but we all hate carbonara! Any ideas?
    Bacon & onion suet pudding or bacon & egg pie or bacon pasties.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 229/136
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £39.49/£100 NSD - 71
    2024 Craft Makes - 194 Craft Spends 2024 £278.14/£500
  • jedi82
    jedi82 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Hiya,

Done the weekly shop today in MrM (47.14) and L1dl (71.73). It is higher than I wanted but I didn't do a big shop last week and this should last us easily until next Wed when I plan to go again.

On a positive note, I have got an evening job waitressing for a few nights a week and this is helping bring the extra pennies in. All my wages are going into our rainy day fund and any tips are being put in a jam jar to enjoy when we go to london in the summer (£21 so far for two nights work so pleased with that :)). And it is nice to get away from the house and kids for a few hours and be 'me'.

Have a nice day and going to make JJs herby bread for tonight!

Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • jasmin10
    jasmin10 Posts: 905 Forumite
    The one dish I make over and over is a tomato and bacon pasta bake. Fry the bacon, add passata or tinned toms and some herbs, s&p, and add to cooked pasta. Top with grated cheese and grill til cheese is melted and slightly crispy (to taste).

Oooh this sounds scrumptious. a note has been made in my recipe file and I shall add it to my meal planner.

Thanks for that KB.

p.s Another NSD for me :j
    TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    sonastin wrote: »
    and stocked up on a jar of OH's favourite Morrocan sauce too - mostly so I can read the ingredients and remind myself how it tastes to have a go at making my own next time :rotfl: So another £2.17 there too.

I am just getting into Moroccan flavours, can I ask what sauce you got?

I think there are probably too many ingredients to warrant me buying them individually just for me, but I am happy to get a jar of something, thank you!
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    jasmin10 wrote: »
    Oooh this sounds scrumptious. a note has been made in my recipe file and I shall add it to my meal planner.

Thanks for that KB.

p.s Another NSD for me :j

No prob - it's nice sometimes to add a little chorizo too - just chopped and fried with the bacon :) When I have some extra budget money I buy one of the horseshoe shaped chorizos and use about a finger length at a time - makes things taste lovely and smoky.

Today is going to be another NSD! That makes a total of 5 for me for June so far! I am a very happy Kitchenbunny :D Tea tonight is a portion of Bolognese sauce from the freezer with some pasta. Have a lovely day everyone!

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Flo- bacon pasties sound good too, could you please share the recipe?
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Spent another €9.94 at weekend.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    craigywv wrote: »
    :)i CANT believe YOU of all people have never made jam lol:rotfl:you and FLO are 2 of the most rescourcful people i have ever met (in cyber space) i dont mind if it goes in recipe index but PLEASE beware this jam does NOT SET i dont want people ranting at me for wasting their time and money on fruit etc.... its just a way that suits me it IS quite runny but as the tv ad says TASTE IS NOT MEASURED WITH A SPIRIT LEVEL so make and enjoy but if your a shop bought preferring peep DONT make it my way :)

Hehe!!

I am happy to admit that I have a lot to learn still which is why I LOVE this thread. Everyone has great ideas and it is a veritable storehouse of knowledge:)

I don't mind jam that requires spooning on my scones!
    As long as it tastes yum, I'm happy.
    I bet using preserving sugar instead of regular could help it along a little.

Cheers for sharing :beer:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills