Options

Comments

• slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got 8 funds in my portfolio.
    DIY after a big IFA cocked up for me.

One fund is about 40% of the portfolio - Old Mutual UK Mid Cap.

I never see it mentioned in these threads and always wonder why??

Does well for me.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • chockydavid1983
    chockydavid1983 Posts: 713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2017 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Yeah I remember looking into what was happening in other developed countries and it all seemed pretty similar.
    I don't really understand how you can even tell if a country is doing well or not. If a country cannot service its debt, that's obvs bad so it seems to be some kind of relationship between growth, GDP and debt.
    But then countries can devalue their currency to help (although not in the case of e.g. Greece who were tied to the Euro.
    I wonder if we're just storing up problems for some undefined 'later'.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think we probably are storing up problems but when we have a central bank as we do then they will do almost anything to stop those problems coming to the fore using whatever tools at their disposal - ie interest rates and quantitive easing.

How you tell if a country is doing well is probably much the same as looking at a company accounts. Amount of debt, spending, income, ratio of spending to income and what they spend their money on - research and development, education and in the case of a country public services and health. There is a statistic to quantify standard of living too. I think the Scandinavian countries do well in most of these measures but of course they are not as highly populated as we are.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    So it's sort of been effective in reducing debt .
    Eh?
    The 300 year old National debt has doubled in 6 years
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Eh?
    The 300 year old National debt has doubled in 6 years
    300 years ago you could buy the employment of a household servant for a year for a couple of pounds, so the use of a 300 year scale to determine the appropriateness of what the government should borrow at current prices and interest rates is not very meaningful. :)
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    On the topic of bonds it very much depends what you are in and - as with equities - how much risk you are prepared to take. Both high yield and emerging market bonds are yielding over 5%.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    On the topic of bonds it very much depends what you are in and - as with equities - how much risk you are prepared to take. Both high yield and emerging market bonds are yielding over 5%.

Yes I have been reading up about the Artemis monthly distribution bonds with the view of putting next years stocks and shares isa allowance in them. I am by nature a moderate risk taker but think I may consider us putting 5% of our assets in something slightly higher risk so maybe emerging market bonds or P2P with the view of getting higher returns. The blog you sent me the link to is very interesting.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • racey
    racey Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    I really like the VLS products but I am a bit reluctant for us to put more than £50k each into Vanguard, as I understand you are only covered up to £50k each by the FSCS for any fund house.
    Is that correct?
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Yes I have been reading up about the Artemis monthly distribution bonds with the view of putting next years stocks and shares isa allowance in them

The issue with the Artemis fund is (I think) it still has a fair exposure to equities. If you are wanting more diversitfication away from equities you might have a look at Henderson Diversified Income which invests across fixed income classes (secured loans, investment grade and high-yield bonds). Currently pays a yield of 5.5%.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • ian-d
    ian-d Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    racey wrote: »
    Is that correct?

I actually think it is per firm, not fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure