No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016

Options

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I've had two advent calendars in the past but in all honesty now I would rather spend the money on something I really want rather than a load of minis I might want.

As there is another L'Occitane email freebie going around I thought I would take advantage of this and use the £10 voucher to buy the calendar. Seems that L'Occitane are not as generous as they used to be in that you now have to buy something to qualify for the free gift (which in itself is not as generous as it used to be). I am using their Shea soap and ultra shea lotion at the mo and will run out of soap first so bought a bar. I was then told that there is no voucher in the GWP - you simply are offered the discount there and then. When I tried to buy the calendar they said the "voucher " cannot be used with any other promotions. As the calendar is already discounted you can't use it against this. The calendar then lost its appeal especially as it's full of travel sizes that they give away regularly anyway. The SAs were not happy that I would not be put on the spot to buy something else and didn't even put any samples in my bag.

I really fancy the feel unique one though. Have seen some others whilst I've been out today though.

Bough 2 Essue polishes (Superdrug selling buy one get one half price. Got Playing Koi for me which I've just applied and is gorgeous kind of pumpkin colour. Bought Kimono Over for Emma.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Tolteca87
    Tolteca87 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was looking at the calenders but I've got so many samples and minis - seriously, I've boxes and bags full of them - of so many different types that I've decided to DIY. I'm also skint.

So, I'm going to try a new different sample or mini every day, so I get a similar experience at no extra cost or additions to the stash. If I had kids I'd give them a craft project to make the box for mum, but as I don't, I'll just have to take them out of the bags and boxes.

Trying new things from the stash has already paid dividends as it turns out my skin adores LE C&P (at the one pump dosage) and almost all the broken veins in my cheeks are now gone, the big ones by the nose are going down and the crater pores are closed/closing. To be honest, I think I had a different type of eczema in my cheeks to the patches I had over my eyebrows and it's dealt with both.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just caught up after a holiday near York, enjoyed lots of window shopping, but was very good, so only one IN, a planned purchase of MAC mascara.

October PP list
    59ml Perricone MD nourishing moisturiser.
    30ml Perricone MD Chia serum
    15ml BS Aloe Eye Defence
    50ml Unknown styling spray (decanted into another spray bottle when original stopped working – can’t remember what it was! )
    5ml Lancome Visionnaire Cream
    50ml Alpha-H Protection Plus spf 50+
    2ml Burberry Eau de Parfum
    15ml Gatineau Melatogenine Advanced Anti-Aging Cream
    5ml Vichy Liftactiv Advanced Filler
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    Sorted out my stash and UU items some more this weekend and managed to store it so that it takes up even less space. Everything was on the floor stacked and piled up right next to my wardrobe which means i have to be careful not to knock anything each time i walk past it and i have to pick it up every time i hoover.

It is still on the floor but I've managed to 'consolidate' it so it takes up less space. It's just 2 containers now which make it easier to move as and when i need to and there is more space to walk past it without worrying about knocking something :o

My stash items are in 1 container and my UU things(apart from the shower gel and shampoo) are in another container so once I've UU'ed my UU items that will get rid of 1 container :D
  • pinkfluffybabe
    Options
    Tolteca87 wrote: »
    I was looking at the calenders but I've got so many samples and minis - seriously, I've boxes and bags full of them - of so many different types that I've decided to DIY. I'm also skint.

So, I'm going to try a new different sample or mini every day, so I get a similar experience at no extra cost or additions to the stash. If I had kids I'd give them a craft project to make the box for mum, but as I don't, I'll just have to take them out of the bags and boxes.

Trying new things from the stash has already paid dividends as it turns out my skin adores LE C&P (at the one pump dosage) and almost all the broken veins in my cheeks are now gone, the big ones by the nose are going down and the crater pores are closed/closing. To be honest, I think I had a different type of eczema in my cheeks to the patches I had over my eyebrows and it's dealt with both.

I'm going with your method. Have too many mini's already and trying not to spend too much. It will be a pleasure to try a new item each day :A
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I got three advent calendars last year but so far am resisting this year! I think I'd rather buy gift sets in the sales than have an advent again. I enjoyed them but it didn't stop me buying other stuff anyway!
    Speaking of sales, I'm debating going to a Lush Boxing day sale but I don't know if it might be a bit too :eek:

I have some UUs!
    6. Simple Cleansing Wipes WBA
    7. Eye of Horus Goddess Mascara WNBA. Got this in a beauty box. It wasn't bad but nothing special and the wand always felt like it was about to break. It's completely dried up now but I used it a lot.
    8. Bourjois 1 Seconde Volume Mascara WBA. Really like this but it's been open too long now and made my eyes itch.
    9. Lush Tea Tree Toner Water WBA. Love their toner sprays. They feel so much more moisturising than any others I've tried.
    10. L’Oreal Elvive Renutrition Shampoo WNBA. Prefer other Elvive ones.
    11. Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil WNB. This was a magazine freebie. I'd get it again on a mag but I think there are cheaper ones which are just as good.

I'm really pleased with my UUs so far this month but then I went and ruined it by buying...
    4x candles, 3 shower gels, 2 foundations, and 8 bubble bars/bath bombs.
    I mean, really, what do they put in those bath bombs? Crack?
    I can only justify two things out of all of that. First is one of the foundations. My Rimmel Match Perfection is about to run out and I don't like to be without it. It's 7.99 and it was 2 for a tenner in Superdrug so got the Rimmel Fresher Skin to try too. The other thing is one of the shower gels. They had big bottles of Sanex for better than half price and my current one isn't far off finished so figured I'd get one while it was cheap because it will get used. I like to have a Sanex on standby for when my skin gets sensitive and I like having an unscented shower gel to use with my bath bombs etc.

Must try harder! When I see things I want at this time of year I need to just write it down and ask for it for Christmas but I never think of that at the time. Now my candle box is full, my Lush box is overflowing and my general toiletries stash drawer only just shuts. And I really want something from Wednesday's Lush Kitchen menu. Good job I'm doing overtime!

Hope everyone's had a good weekend! :)
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just popping in to say hi :) Hope all well and UUs are coming along nicely!
    ally.
  • VALM
    Options
    Tolteca87 wrote: »

When I switched to Cleanse and Polish I noticed these kind of results too. I had quite ruddy cheeks that I used to apply yellow powder to tone down. Within days of using this the ruddiness was gone. I don't always use C&P now but my daughter still loves it and I'm presently finishing a pump off. Do still love the fragrance of this.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Just caught up after a holiday near York, enjoyed lots of window shopping, but was very good, so only one IN, a planned purchase of MAC mascara.

October PP list
    59ml Perricone MD nourishing moisturiser.
    30ml Perricone MD Chia serum
    15ml BS Aloe Eye Defence
    50ml Unknown styling spray (decanted into another spray bottle when original stopped working – can’t remember what it was! )
    5ml Lancome Visionnaire Cream
    50ml Alpha-H Protection Plus spf 50+
    2ml Burberry Eau de Parfum
    15ml Gatineau Melatogenine Advanced Anti-Aging Cream
    5ml Vichy Liftactiv Advanced Filler

Glad you had a good trip x

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    Options
    Hi Deleted_User I'm not sure I agree re the Benefit Goof Proof. I alternate between using this (mine was a freebie too) and the Avon Glimmerstick and the Benefit one wins slightly just because of the shape of the tip. I have to be more careful with the Avon one as my brows can look a little Barbara Cartland.

Have had a good weekend though am sick of eating out. The living room work is finished. Work is starting in the kitchen today and I really hooe the rot is confined to a small area.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family