PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Roo89
    Roo89 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Chrizzy_81 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I had my offer accepted 15th March and still have not exchanged! Apparently the seller 'forgot' he bought his house on help to buy! He has had the survey done for the help to buy people and had that sent to them today, but doesn't anyone know how long I can expect that to be resolved so we can exchange and set the completion date? Myself and my wife are so stressed about this it isn't even funny, as our lease is up in four weeks time.

Many thanks

This won't help your stress levels, but our offer was accepted 12th Feb and we still haven't had dates for exchange or completion. We're not even remotely close to getting dates set.
  • FloProActiv
    FloProActiv Posts: 20 Forumite
    Things you don't want on the day of completion - an email from your solicitors saying that the funds they've received from the mortgage lender are £10 short.

Turns out our mortgage lender charges a £10 for bank transfers, which no one mentioned before today.

Thankfully solicitor says she can still go ahead, and I've set the payment for the shortfall up, but definitely something I could have done without today.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Things you don't want on the day of completion - an email from your solicitors saying that the funds they've received from the mortgage lender are £10 short.

Turns out our mortgage lender charges a £10 for bank transfers, which no one mentioned before today.

Thankfully solicitor says she can still go ahead, and I've set the payment for the shortfall up, but definitely something I could have done without today.

This is the kind of little thing that must happen often enough that you'd think solicitors would be on top of it before it even happens. I think solicitors just don't think enough about the fact they are dealing with amateurs who don't buy a house every day (or even every year, or decade). They should be doing the thinking for the client with regard to things like the above.

It wouldn't be difficult for a solicitor to create a 20-point "tips for clients buying a house!, "Tips fr clients selling a house", etc., so you can tick off each box.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 296
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    15/12 offer accepted
    30/1 searches and documentation supplied
    19/2 first round of pre-contract enquiries
    19/3 second round of pre-contract enquiries
    18/4 third round of pre-contract enquiries
    25/4 arranging indemnities because seller's solicitor simply refuses to supply what we need
    26/4 final enquiry about leasehold asked
    week 2 - still no reply to final enquiry
    week 3 - still no reply to final enquiry
  • KJW92
    KJW92 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hey guys, first post on here... my boyfriend and I are first time buyers so threads like this have been really helpful!

26/2 - offer accepted
    5/3 - instructed solicitors
    5/3 - draft contracts from vendor's solicitor requested
    3/4 - draft contracts received & enquiries raised
    5/4 - enquiries received by vendor's solicitor
    2/5 - some responses to enquiries received
    2/5 - our solicitor responded with the 6 outstanding enquiries
    16/5 - responses to some outstanding enquiries received

We've been chasing up the estate agent pretty much every day to try and push our purchase through because the vendor's solicitors have been terrible sitting on things and lying about when they've sent information to our solicitor... it's been a bit of a nightmare to be honest but now that we have the responses to (hopefully all, but sounds like just some) of the outstanding enquiries we can get a wriggle on and exchange soon!
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    KJW92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, first post on here... my boyfriend and I are first time buyers so threads like this have been really helpful!

26/2 - offer accepted
    5/3 - instructed solicitors
    5/3 - draft contracts from vendor's solicitor requested
    3/4 - draft contracts received & enquiries raised
    5/4 - enquiries received by vendor's solicitor
    2/5 - some responses to enquiries received
    2/5 - our solicitor responded with the 6 outstanding enquiries
    16/5 - responses to some outstanding enquiries received

We've been chasing up the estate agent pretty much every day to try and push our purchase through because the vendor's solicitors have been terrible sitting on things and lying about when they've sent information to our solicitor... it's been a bit of a nightmare to be honest but now that we have the responses to (hopefully all, but sounds like just some) of the outstanding enquiries we can get a wriggle on and exchange soon!

Thanks for the detailed update. It took a month to get draft contract from vendors solicitor! Not good! Do you know why it took that long?

Also what is your mortgage application time line like? (if you have mortgage)

Glad that things are moving forward for you.
  • KJW92
    ric1982 wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed update. It took a month to get draft contract from vendors solicitor! Not good! Do you know why it took that long?

Also what is your mortgage application time line like? (if you have mortgage)

Glad that things are moving forward for you.

Don't they've been an absolute nightmare, there's no reason for these delays they just keep sitting on it! Only recently have we found out we can chase through the estate agents

Erm we had our first mortgage meeting on 3/2, second meeting with the bank on 12/3 to set everything up, bank survey carried out on 19/3, mortgage offer received by our solicitor on 13/4.

Thank you, I hope things are moving forward anyway! Feel like we are never going to get responses to these enquiries !
  • StarLord
    StarLord Posts: 5 Forumite
    KJW92 wrote: »
    Don't they've been an absolute nightmare, there's no reason for these delays they just keep sitting on it! Only recently have we found out we can chase through the estate agents

Erm we had our first mortgage meeting on 3/2, second meeting with the bank on 12/3 to set everything up, bank survey carried out on 19/3, mortgage offer received by our solicitor on 13/4.

Thank you, I hope things are moving forward anyway! Feel like we are never going to get responses to these enquiries !

This sounds very similar to ours - FTB as well. Vendors solicitors have been an absolute nightmare! Kept delaying the draft lease due to freehold purchaser making tiny amendments.

We are waiting on a deed of easement to be signed by the neighbor which has been ongoing for a couple of months.

Hope it's not the same South West London development, as ours has been ongoing for 6 months now and we are about to try and get a mortgage offer extension!
  • KJW92
    StarLord wrote: »
    This sounds very similar to ours - FTB as well. Vendors solicitors have been an absolute nightmare! Kept delaying the draft lease due to freehold purchaser making tiny amendments.

We are waiting on a deed of easement to be signed by the neighbor which has been ongoing for a couple of months.

Hope it's not the same South West London development, as ours has been ongoing for 6 months now and we are about to try and get a mortgage offer extension!

Wow!!
    No we're buying a freehold so as far as I'm aware no need for a deed of easement... well I hope not anyway!
    Our mortgage offer is available until the end of August so I hope we won't have the same delays! Good luck with everything.
  • KL0001
    KL0001 Posts: 92
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Our timeline so far

28/3 - Estate agents draw up floor plan and photos
    28/3 - mortgage AIP
    29/3 - 1st viewing before
    30/3 - full asking price offer received, we accepted
    5/4 - viewed 5 properties, offer on one, accepted after negitiations that evening
    6/4 - appoint solicitors, mortgage valuation on property selling
    10/4. - mortgage appointment (via phone call)
    13/4 - hand deliver paperwork and ID to solicitor
    17/4 - mortgage valuation on property buying
    23/4 - mortgage approved, draft contract sent to buyers
    3/5 - draft contract received from vendors solicitor
    4/5 - survey on house selling
    16/5 - searches completed on property buying
    18/5 - flood report requested
    Hopefully we are getting close to exchanging, we are in a small chain with FTB buying our house and our seller moving into rented. The whole thing so far has been pretty smooth running, yet so stressful. I just can’t wait to exchange.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback