PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Subsidence issue on Taylor Wimpey site

Options
Spookeytookey
Spookeytookey Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 15 April 2018 at 11:23AM in House buying, renting & selling
0hi
we have just reserved a property on a development
the search came back as med high risk.of subsidence.
calling groundsure they say its not the whole plot but a 75m2 area which our house falls under.
That seems risky and i want to withdraw.
im not prepared to throew money into something they should check before building.
they insist our search is the only won highlighting this....
what are our rights?

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just because a bit of land is at risk of subsidence does not mean a hous built on it will be at risk. For all you know they might be piling the foundations of houses built on that section.

I recall this issue once before when someone built an extension to a relatively new house and in a short time the extension ws subsiding. When it was investigated further, they found the bit of land was known to be unstable and the builder had put piled foundations under some of the houses and the house was sitting solid but the builder that did the extension just used normal foundations.

I see 2 options:

TALK to them and get reassurance that the foundations will be correct for the land condition.

Or swap your reservation to another house on the development in a different part of the site, surely they would do that with little cost?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    calling groundsure they say its not the whole plot but a 75m2 area which our house falls under.

That seems suspiciously precise for a desktop survey. Have they told you what the margin of error is?
    im not prepared to throew money into something they should check before building.
    They will have checked the ground conditions before building, in considerably more detail than the report you have (and with expert interpretation). I'm not sure why you're assuming that you've got information which they haven't, or that their design can't cope with "medium high" risks of subsidence.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When new property is built, its foundations should take account of the condition of the land.

Long before building started, deep trial holes / trial pits would have been dug to investigate the composition of the soil etc.

A structural engineer will then have designed foundations that are suitable (e.g. deep enough) - to prevent any subsidence.

As an example, I recently saw some bungalows built on 15m concrete piles - because of the potential subsidence risk (clay soil plus large mature trees nearby).

I guess it's possible that the structural engineer could make a mistake and/or the builder could have taken short-cuts. But that's the case on any development, whether the subsidence risk is high or low.
  • Spookeytookey
    Options
    the thing is TW were not aware. at least thats as they told us.

this was the last design of this style property on this plot, they are still building but the design is smaller more expensive and not what we want.
    we want to stay 5 years and move but the fear is issue selling if this med-high risk is highlighted.
    after all if affected the 10 year warranty doesnt cover subsidence
    insurance higher etc.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options

this was the last design of this style property on this plot, they are still building but the design is smaller more expensive and not what we want.
    we want to stay 5 years and move but the fear is issue selling if this med-high risk is highlighted.
    after all if affected the 10 year warranty doesnt cover subsidence
    insurance higher etc.

Of course they must have been aware, their structural engineers and architects will have had to take this into account when developing the site.
    My report stated medium risk stability but given the house has stood fine for 70 years, it didn't deter me.
  • Spookeytookey
    Options
    if i had a non new build i agree
    but a new build with the agent acting shocked rings alarm bells
  • eddddy
    Options

You've misunderstood.

House building is a much more sophisticated process than you imagine.

I suspect this misunderstanding has arisen because you (as somebody who is not expert in house building) were talking to a TW salesperson (who is also not an expert in house building).
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect they just meant "not aware that a desktop report would disclose the sort of information which would spook a buyer", not that they haven't investigated the ground conditions themselves.
    the 10 year warranty doesnt cover subsidence
    Yes it does.
  • Spookeytookey
    Options
    the response at tw was
    this report is not possible cannot be correct we have no searches coming back with these findings ( bear in mind we are first in this actual affected area)
    they presented it to the legal team 8 days ago- no feedback
  • eddddy
    Options
    the response at tw was
    this report is not possible cannot be correct we have no searches coming back with these findings ( bear in mind we are first in this actual affected area)
    they presented it to the legal team 8 days ago- no feedback

Just to be clear... there is only a risk of subsidence in a building, if the foundations aren't adequate.

If you genuinely suspect that TW have made a mistake and built inadequate foundations, you could do the following...
    • TW will have excavated the ground in order to study the composition and structure of the soil.
    • TW's structural engineer would have used the results to design suitable foundations
    • The local authority's structural engineer will have checked the ground study, and TW's Structural engineer's calculations and design

So...
    • You can instruct your own structural engineer to check the ground study and TW's structural engineer's calculation and design

That might cost you about £1k, but that's less than the £15k it seems you might lose if you back out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure