Warranty: shop tells me to go through manufacturer's hoops

In November I bought a PVR from a renowned retailer. Very recently all my saved recordings became corrupted into an unsupported format.

I phoned the retailer for advice, and was referred to the manufacturer, who told me to reformat the drive. I did so, of course having to re-enter planned recording details. Then, however, I found that the previously unaffected on demand streaming services had become unavailable.

I did certain exercises on the PVr as suggested by others well versed in the PVR, including waiting some hours for On demand to repopulate, made sure all connectors were OK and checked network connections.

I made another call to the retailer: the rep asked me to check my HomePlugs, which we found to be suspect. I bought new ones and fitted and paired them. Neither using them nor attemting wi-fi connection worked.

I phoned the retailer again (a different rep) to say I was unsatisfied with the product and wished to reject or exchange it. The response was that I'd have to go to the manufacturer and go through their troubleshooting, before they could exchange it.

I pointed out that I'd done what the manufacturer had asked had asked, and more, and my rights were being exercised against the warranty as advertised by them; the manufacturer's instruction to them as customer were of no concern to me.

Retailer is going back to manufacturer with their its notes to see if the further rigmarole can be avoided.

Has my handling been correct, or could I have done better? What further steps do I take, if the manufacturer is unhelpful? BTW I am 80, so the physical effort that can be involved in fault dealing is unwelcome.

Comments

• Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April 2017 at 3:50PM
    If the item is under 6 months old, you should generally be able to get a replacement or refund.

If it is more than 6 months old, then you will find it more difficult and you will have to prove the items was faulty when you bought it.

What sort of retailer is it? Large companies are usually very quick to swap it for a new one or refund you. Smaller retailers sometimes try to fob you off more.

However, the retailer is ultimately responsible for resolving this, and sorting out matters with the manufacturer.

Can you get someone to help you to take this back and progress your complaints?

You should quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to them, and ask for a refund or exchange.
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    @ Annie1960. I don't want to name them. Suffice it to say, the retailer is a large one of very high repute for quality and service, and and not beginning with A.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    If the item is under 6 months old, you should generally be able to get a replacement or refund.
    You should quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to them, and ask for a refund or exchange.

Under the Consumer Rights act 2015, the retailer is legally entitled to carry out a repair should they wish.
    The OP can state that they would prefer a refund or replacement but if the retailer says that a repair is more cost efficient for them, then they can do this.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The retailer will take much longer to sort it out than the manufacturer,

Whilst it's true that the contract is with the retailer they often fight tooth and nail to get you to go direct to the manufacturer because management tell them too. This means escalating it up the chain of command until they relent, but this takes time and a lot of it.

The manufacture usually arranges everything when you call them and it's a far faster turnaround, as quick as a few days in my experience. The retailer can take weeks, 4 being the norm but the end result is the same as they just arrange the return instead so their is no benefit by going to the retailer.
  • oldwiring
    Thanks for your comments. I'll see what transpires, and get on with other things.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bris wrote: »
    The retailer will take much longer to sort it out than the manufacturer,

Not true. Don't present as fact something that may or may not happen.
    bris wrote: »
    Whilst it's true that the contract is with the retailer they often fight tooth and nail to get you to go direct to the manufacturer because management tell them too. This means escalating it up the chain of command until they relent, but this takes time and a lot of it.

The manufacture usually arranges everything when you call them and it's a far faster turnaround, as quick as a few days in my experience. The retailer can take weeks, 4 being the norm but the end result is the same as they just arrange the return instead so their is no benefit by going to the retailer.

Going directly to the manufacturer also waives many of your statutory rights. The law entitles you to a remedy from the retailer; it makes no demands on the manufacturer. If you send it to them and it gets lost in the post, it's entirely your problem. If they claim it arrived damaged - tough. In the worst case, if they aren't even a UK based manufacturer and just keep the product, you may need to go via an overseas legal system.

Go via the retailer. The law puts demands on the retailer for a very good reason.
  • oldwiring
    Roughly a fortnight ago JL sent out a troubleshooter, who had no more luck than I. he put a report in, and advised me to take it in to the store for a loan,or replacement.

In store the assistant started the old record, until I was point blank firm. Manager was called, and we had what in diplomacy is called a "full and frank discussion". Finally i received a loan, then some days later a new box.

I'm still without live TV access, though not on the account of Humax/JL.
    The rain and the large trees nearby has made watching nigh impossible. I am having a new dish in a better position.

How ironical it is that once I could not get On Demand; now it's all I can get. Life eh!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    oldwiring wrote: »
    @ Annie1960. I don't want to name them. Suffice it to say, the retailer is a large one of very high repute for quality and service, and and not beginning with A.

So a retailer whose name begins with a letter somewhere between B and Z - not very helpful.

And then despite not wanting to name them you do just that. Why couldn't you just cut out the BS and do that from the start?
    oldwiring wrote: »
    Roughly a fortnight ago JL sent out a troubleshooter
  • paweaz
    paweaz Posts: 11 Forumite
    Having similar issues with Tesco,your contract is with the original retailer not the manufacturer PERIOD..no ifs buts,maybes......if it develops a fault within the 1 year warranty heck even up to 2 years under EU law even up to 3-4 years with certain white goods, it's their responsibility to sort it......sadly us Brits are weak and soft when it comes to our rights prefering to accept the status quo and fob off...thats why we get ripped off for everything we buy paying way over the odds compared to other countries.......time to stand up and be counted......good luck
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    paweaz wrote: »
    Having similar issues with Tesco,your contract is with the original retailer not the manufacturer PERIOD..no ifs buts,maybes......if it develops a fault within the 1 year warranty heck even up to 2 years under EU law even up to 3-4 years with certain white goods, it's their responsibility to sort it......sadly us Brits are weak and soft when it comes to our rights prefering to accept the status quo and fob off...thats why we get ripped off for everything we buy paying way over the odds compared to other countries.......time to stand up and be counted......good luck

It's a long time since I've seen the mythical EU law quoted! ;)

paweaz, in the UK you have rights against the retailer for up to six years, not 2 or 3-4. However as mentioned up thread it is often quicker to go straight to the manufacturer. Given that it took nearly a month to get this remedied, it is likely that would have been the case here.

Also, if going to the manufacturer with the retailer's agreement/ instruction you do not lose any of your rights against the retailer. In such a case the manufacturer is acting as the retailer's agent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure