MSE Poll: Will your finances be better or worse in two years’ time, after Brexit?

Options
Poll started 28 March 2017

Will your finances be better or worse in two years’ time, after Brexit?

It’s Article 50 week. On Wednesday 29 March the Prime Minister will trigger the start of the Brexit process.

If all runs as it should, in two years’ time the UK will no longer be part of the European Union.

So forget the economy, let’s go personal, how do you feel your finances will be in two years' time compared to now?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• webwiz
    webwiz Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In 2 years time I dont expect much difference. We will be saving the contributions to the EU but there will be some temporary disruption to trade. However in 10 years we will be much better off.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are already worse off. Haven't people noticed how prices of basic have risen?

Holidays aren't essentials, but the fall in the pound has also effected us.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 10:12AM
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We are already worse off. Haven't people noticed how prices of basic have risen?
    Prices go up & down so not really. Some things I've noticed recently:
    - Ryanair London -> Bordeaux return ticket: £5.60
    - Supermarkets slashed 2p off fuel...then another 2p like a week later (offsetting some of the apparent rise due to currency drop)
    - Sky promotional £5 broadband offer
    - 2 year fixes now down to 0.99% again

The only rises I've noticed are my broadband, water and council tax. But they always raise it every year to try and churn out extra money
    MSE_Sam_M wrote: »
    Will your finances be better or worse in two years’ time, after Brexit?
    The question is pretty dodgy as it's personalised. A soon-to-be-graduate and someone in debt but clearing it will almost certainly have better finances in 2 years. Similarly I chose "better" as I anticipate above inflation pay rises through job changes.

Whether the country overall is better is another question. I'd be leaning towards "slightly worse off"
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • dk2401
    dk2401 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There perhaps should have been a 'Haven't Got A Clue' choice for this poll, given the huge element of uncertainty that exists..!
  • ARandomWelshGuy
    Options
    In two years time, I'm going to say Slightly worse off.
    dastep wrote: »
    I understand that the VAT was not allowed to drop below 15% per the EU. Could the VAT be set to fall to a reasonable level?

Unlikely, it's not at 15% in the UK for a reason and that reason isn't the EU :p
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    The problem we have with Brexit now is who is leading the talks. The EU is totally male dominated and they don't have respect for women at all, our useless unelected PM May is a walk over and because she's part of the problem elite who don't pay taxes, I think we're going to end up far worse off.
  • bagez7
    Options
    I think it is disappointing to see so many people believing they will be worst off in a couple of years time. The truth is the changes are not going to effect most of us all that much. The banks are still going be open, so keep saving your money, and doing all the things Martin and his team are good enough to educate us all with, and you will be better off in 2 years time.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The results are unsurprising. Leavers generally believing they'll be better off, remainers believing they'll be worse off and 'others', who I assume were mainly non citizens (and therefore basically in the remain camp) also believing they'll be worse off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure