Brand new sealed and buyer wants refund..help

Options
Hi guys. Please help

I sold a nook Ereader (which is like a kindle and connects to the Internet to download books etc). It was brand new in box and sealed. The buyer has received it today and then also sent me a message today saying it is faulty because it wasn't connecting to the network and if I don't refund then she will open a refund case.

Well clearly it's not faulty it's just a network or software issue. And if she does send it back I can't sell as brand new anymore as she has opened it. For all I know she might have done something to it.

I have said to her to speak to her network or the Nook as it might not be straightforward. And that it isn't faulty. She's clearly going to open a dispute though. Where do I stand....and if paypal or ebay do refund it have i lost the nook too or will she have to send it back first. Help! Thanks in advance

Comments

• usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Something brand new in box and sealed can still have a fault.

The buyer can open a case and you will have to accept a refund on return. If you ignore the case, ebay will refund on your behalf and the buyer will keep the item.

If the item does turn out to be faulty, you can get your money back from your supplier.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am not sure how you can prove it wasn't faulty if it was brand new and sealed in a box, as you therefore couldn't test it.

Accept the return, test it, and if it is not faulty, then try arguing with eBay over the refund amount. Doubt you will get anywhere, but best just to block buyer and move on.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should never sell electronics as an individual unless you can fully test the item first. As above you have no proof it works. If it doesn't work then you should be able to return it to who you brought it from and get a new one. It is not up to the buyer to do anything apart from return it back to you.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And make sure you get back the one you sent her. Hopefully you were able to record any serial numbers etc from the packaging
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Was she clearly aware the Nook network is no longer available?
    http://www.nook.com/gb/notice
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Was she clearly aware the Nook network is no longer available?
    http://www.nook.com/gb/notice

You could still use a Nook as the service transferred to Sainsbury's Entertainment On demand. Unfortunately that closed down on Oct 1st...

https://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/info

Supposedly it's possible to sign up and use the Kobo Store now. Odds are, it won't be seamless or simple to reconfigure a Nook iirc.
    ====
  • rfowler
    rfowler Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ebay will start the refund process, the buyer will have to return the item first once you have recieved it and are "happy" you have to refund the payment
  • Irn-Bru-Kid
    Options
    rfowler wrote: »
    ebay will start the refund process, the buyer will have to return the item first once you have recieved it and are "happy" you have to refund the payment

Being 'happy' with the return has no bearing on the refund process.

Even if you receive a brick in a box, you will still be forced to refund.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Being 'happy' with the return has no bearing on the refund process.

Even if you receive a brick in a box, you will still be forced to refund.

This looks set to change. There is a pilot running on ebay.co.uk at the moment, of which we are part.

This gives the seller the option to withhold part of the refund, change the reason for return etc. It will stop the brick in box situations but no doubt give rise to other issues (bad sellers refusing return postage etc).
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nooks are bloomin impossible now.
    I sold mine and my buyer had a nightmare registering it. In the end she had a friend 'jailbreak' it.

More hassle than they're worth now I find.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure