Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    memorygirl
    Memorygirls Make Do and Mend for 2008 Thread
    • 3rd Jan 08, 11:45 AM
    Memorygirls Make Do and Mend for 2008 Thread 3rd Jan 08 at 11:45 AM
    Inserted Intro From Martin....

This is MemoryGirls 'make do and mend' diary. You'll see the first post immediately below, then can scroll down for updates (with others comments in between).

It's a fascinating, fun and inspiring insight into how to go thrifty and Old Style and well worth a read through... thanks for posting it Memory Girl...

PS for people new to forums, a quick abbreviation glossary.

DS - Darling Son
    OD - overdraft
    CC - Credit Card
    LOL - laughs out loud
    OS - MoneySaving Old Style which is all about thrift - see the Old Style Board and Thrifty Ways charity book

Now onto the info..

Hi

Single Mum (38) of a fabulous DS (7) and expecting another DS anytime from the end of February - mid April. (First was waaaay early so Midwifes bit cautious about "due dates")

No partner - hit the road when the line went blue But 2008 is my year to stop settling for what everyone expects me to do (sign on and claim benefits) and start designing the life I want for my wee family - setting myself some scary goals in the process no doubt

I am mostly debt free - I have an expected debt of 6k to appear this year from a business that is being wound up. BUt I now have no OD, CC or consumer debt at all.

I am buying a house on the 31st of Jan - and Gulp!!! - it is in a real state. Now don't panic because what I have done for the last 10 years is develop property for our family business, so I'm not afraid of the work. Of course having the bump in the middle of a refurb will be quite a challenge - and this one has to be funded entirely from my own pocket.

There is about 50K profit in this development (no- really ). Gain mostly due to installing the basics - central heating, fixing roof, new kitchen and bathrooms and complete redecoration ( place looks like been decorated by colour blind toddler - LOL). I aim to sell this place in 2008 in order to carry forward a chunk of equity into a "forever house" for my family with a much reduced mortgage.

This year will be waaaaaaaaaaayyyy tight cashflow wise. So my decision is to set myself a " make do and mend" challenge. To save money by being as OS as possible as I make the move from a few years living with my parents to being back out my own.

Heres where I am so far:

1 Jan Started a "control journal" - a la Flylady Target date to complete 19 Jan
    2 Jan Raked through attic to find old wool of mums for making Baby clothes DONE
    3 Jan Downloaded pattern for baby blanket to crochet. 25 patches Target date to complete 28th Jan

I figure that if I can keep skipping forward for 365 days of mini- goals by the end of the year I will have changed our lives beyond recognition.

Any tips and advice gratefully appreciated - I'm going to be on my own here cos my folks are not OS in the least. They love eating my OS food but as soon as I go it will be back to the packets they uesed to live on I'm sure.

PLEASE - come with me on this journey as my cheerleaders / b****m kickers and treasured advisors.

Baby steps for 2008

Memolrygir

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 24-06-2008 at 6:10 PM.
Page 3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,804Posts Today

5,493Users online

Martin's Twitter