Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gabyjane
    • By gabyjane 25th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    • 3,504Posts
    • 878Thanks
    gabyjane
    Does anyone know the possible age of this furniture?
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    Does anyone know the possible age of this furniture? 25th Jun 19 at 2:15 PM

[/IMG]Hi,
    Picked up a unit at the weekend and cannot find anything online regarding its age.. How do I upload a photo please?!
    Last edited by gabyjane; 25-06-2019 at 2:19 PM. Reason: Photos added
Page 1
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 20,948 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    Looks like 20s / 30s to me.
    Oak by the look of it, been stained at some time.
    Have you got a shot of the outside side of the drawers?
    Underneath too if poss.
    And the back of the piece?
    • gabyjane
    • By gabyjane 25th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    gabyjane
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:39 PM

[/IMG]
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 2:45 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 20,948 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:45 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:45 PM
    Ply drawer bottoms, so most likely about when I said IMHO.
    I wanted to see the joint where the sides of the drawers join onto the front really. Gives some idea of quality.
    The door frames might be ash. Difficult to tell from photos though.
    Decent enough piece I'd have said. Probably a lot better than the vast majority of modern stuff.
    • gabyjane
    • By gabyjane 25th Jun 19, 2:50 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    gabyjane
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:50 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:50 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I picked it up at a recycling centre for 13..although I want to keep any ideas on value? Would it be an original? For some reason it keeps posting the same image, let me do the dovetail pic.
    • gabyjane
    • By gabyjane 25th Jun 19, 3:01 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    gabyjane
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:01 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:01 PM
    Have no idea why it now won't post ��
    • gabyjane
    • By gabyjane 25th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    gabyjane
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    Last try! If it doesnt work the dovetails are uneven and don't look machine done

https://i.postimg.cc/m2B1bWGM/IMG-20190625-100305.jpg
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 20,948 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    Has to be a bargain at that, although "brown furniture" isn't in fashion at present AFAIK.
    Don't really know about price though. I know more about construction methods and when they are likely to have been used.
    If the dovetails are all "equal" as I suspect, then it will have been "machine made". Nothing wrong with that, it's just that it was mass market rather than bespoke. Still looks decent quality.
    It'd most likely have been French polished originally, although that's been stripped.
    Don't be tempted to take it to a stripper. It'll denature the wood, and remove the glue.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 20,948 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    Dovetails really don't look equal, as in "machine cut" although it's difficult to tell.
    OTOH, they're not traditional hand cut dovetails with fine pins.
    Sawn drawer sides make me wonder too.
    Possibly a piece made by a keen amateur. I believe you could buy those pressed panels in the doors at that sort of time.
    Certainly we have a trestle table made by my wife's great uncle who was an amateur woodworker around that time, and that's an excellent piece of oak furniture.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 25th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    Working Mum
    I have something similar - we call it the linen press (not sure why!!). I now use it as my drinks cabinet!

Are you going to spruce it up or re-vamp completely??
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 25th Jun 19, 3:23 PM
    • 3,796 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Thanks for your reply. I picked it up at a recycling centre for 13..although I want to keep any ideas on value? Would it be an original? For some reason it keeps posting the same image, let me do the dovetail pic.
    Originally posted by gabyjane
    Brown furniture is very cheap at the moment, I doubt you'd get enough for a good meal from it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • gabyjane
    • By gabyjane 25th Jun 19, 3:33 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    gabyjane
    Thanks for the replies.. Can anyone see the dovetail link?! Don't know why the photos not showing up.
    Tbh I just like the look of it, it obviously looks (and smells) old but I'm certainly no furniture expert so wasn't sure if it was one of many.
    If it's not worth keeping for any possibke future profit I'd remove the feet and make it lower, try and strip it down (not sure how as yet) and enhance the pattern on the front
    I didn't wan tto ruin a good piece of furniture though!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 3:45 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 20,948 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Thanks for the replies.. Can anyone see the dovetail link?! Don't know why the photos not showing up.
    Tbh I just like the look of it, it obviously looks (and smells) old but I'm certainly no furniture expert so wasn't sure if it was one of many.
    If it's not worth keeping for any possibke future profit I'd remove the feet and make it lower, try and strip it down (not sure how as yet) and enhance the pattern on the front
    I didn't wan tto ruin a good piece of furniture though!
    Originally posted by gabyjane
    Yes I can see it. See my post above about the dovetails.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 25th Jun 19, 5:09 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 6,730 Thanks
    daveyjp
    It is probably worth more chopped up and sold as kindling.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 25th Jun 19, 5:17 PM
    • 8,505 Posts
    • 7,684 Thanks
    phill99
    It isn't worth anymore than you paid for it. Not popular at the moment. But its a decent piece of furniture and will probably last lot longer than its IKEA equivalent!!!

Not dissimilar to this piece

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=5D8240FBF63220EB46024AE768 CD0DEFFF3EB23A&thid=OIP.o4Q3TnrrJZVO8ikdeY8qFwHaEK &mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.antiquesatlas.com%2 Fdealer-stock-images%2Ferasofstyle%2FAntique_1920s_Oak_Sideboard _as126a3847z.jpg&exph=563&expw=1000&q=1920%27s+oak +sideboards+&selectedindex=2&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=0
    Last edited by phill99; 25-06-2019 at 5:22 PM.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 26th Jun 19, 7:49 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    Working Mum
    It's very MS and environmentally friendly to re-use and re-vamp older pieces of furniture.

It is your taste which is the important thing - can you see it working in your home and being used and loved?? If so 13 is a bargain - we are not looking a Chippendale piece are we? It's something which owes you nothing and you can have fun with!
    Last edited by Working Mum; 26-06-2019 at 8:44 AM.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 26th Jun 19, 8:23 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I'm surprised nobody has told you to keep it away from that radiator yet.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 26th Jun 19, 8:35 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    need an answer
    I think its called utility furniture,that type of thing was produced reasonably cheaply during and just after the war ...so I believe its 1940s

Its not in fashion so it probably is worth what you want it to be worth...if you paid 13 for it and you like it and have a use for it that's all that matters.
    Last edited by need an answer; 26-06-2019 at 8:37 AM.
    in S 29 T 9 F 30
    out S 32 T 11 F 37
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • Diana2014
    • By Diana2014 26th Jun 19, 9:34 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Diana2014
    I'd say that it was pre-WWII, not utility furniture -because of the decoration, mainly.

If it was French polished and hasn't been given a coat of modern varnish, the best way to get the old finish off without damaging the wood is to use methylated spirits and fine wire wool,always working along the grain of the wood. It's a smelly and rather dirty job, best done outside (or in a garage) but one ends up with a really good finish, as the wire wool burnishes the surface.

Then refinish it with boiled linseed oil, warmed and rubbed in lavishly, to feed the dry wood, with a coat of wax after that if you want a more polished effect. Don't use modern varnish on old furniture, whatever you do; it doesn't last nearly as well and is nasty to remove.

There's great and detailed advice on refinishing old furniture in Jocasta Innes's "The Pauper's Homemaking Book"; I recommend it.
    Last edited by Diana2014; 26-06-2019 at 9:47 AM.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 26th Jun 19, 10:20 AM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 20,948 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    No, I don't think it's utility furniture either.
    The piece shown here is typical of that which I've seen
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_furniture
    Also it will probably have the "Utility Mark" somewhere
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC41
    I think that utility furniture is collectable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,454Posts Today

7,857Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin