Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • baxio
    • By baxio 25th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    baxio
    Discouraging vandals
    • 25th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    Discouraging vandals 25th Jun 19 at 11:55 AM
    Hi,

We live on the corner of a council estate where two main roads join and there is a pub just round the corner. Our fence fairly frequently gets the odd hole kicked in on it overnight, most likely from drunks coming home from the pub. A few weeks ago we heard an argument and a crash- I think a guy pushed his girlfriend into the fence and it pretty much smashed it to bits.

My Dad has suggested maybe putting anti-climb paint and CCTV signs on the fence to deter people. However, I'm wondering if this will attract thieves who will see these measures but no actual CCTV and think "what have they got in there" and it might make the house more tempting to them.

Just curious as to people's thoughts/ experiences on this.

Thanks,

Dan
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 25th Jun 19, 12:05 PM
    • 4,317 Posts
    • 3,800 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:05 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:05 PM
    Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to stop people kicking holes in the fence. A friend of mine did once come up with an ingenious way of discouraging people from climbing up it. Have a root around in the garage/shed, find all the odd bits of gloss paint we all seem to end up with in old tins. Mix them together with a good dollop of grease, and paint it on the top of the fence. It won't stop people climbing it in the first place, but they'll only do it once :-) There's no way that lot will wash out, and it'll ruin the expensive designer track-suits so beloved by neds. With the added bonus that you can't be prosecuted for causing bodily harm like you could if you put broken glass or barbed wire up.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 25th Jun 19, 12:09 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 26,566 Thanks
    jk0
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:09 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:09 PM
    Build a wall up to 4'6", and fix a small weak fence above that. No-one will be knocking holes in the wall, and the fence will make it very awkward to climb.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 12:22 PM
    • 6,452 Posts
    • 20,795 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:22 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:22 PM
    Build a wall up to 4'6", and fix a small weak fence above that. No-one will be knocking holes in the wall, and the fence will make it very awkward to climb.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Be nice if you could build a 4.6 metre brick wall. . .
    But failing that your idea would seem to be about the best that can be done.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 25th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    Doesn't it say 4ft 6in not 4.6m?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Jun 19, 5:29 PM
    • 28,733 Posts
    • 100,699 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 25th Jun 19, 5:29 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 5:29 PM
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Yes it does, but some people view on phones, tablets and 15" screens. (That's fifteen inches, not metres or feet! )

My advice is not to put signs up, which just seem to antagonise certain sorts of people and invest long term in some pyracantha bushes or similar.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 25th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 6,452 Posts
    • 20,795 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 25th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Yes it does.
    I was just thinking that a really big wall would be better!
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 25th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 25th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    Your might do something creative, e.g. painting concrete fence panels to make them look like fencing. Or you could investigate composite fence panels to see if they might be stronger than wood. You might also hang a second cheaper fence panel over the original panels as a sacrificial board that will both absorb the force of any kicks better than a single panel and be cheaper to replace if it is damaged.

Ultimately, a properly built wall is probably going to be as cheap and will last longer.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 25th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 8,296 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 25th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    Wire mesh fencing a few inches in front of the fence might prevent damage.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 26th Jun 19, 3:55 AM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    My advice is not to put signs up, which just seem to antagonise certain sorts of people and invest long term in some pyracantha bushes or similar.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Agree, plant spiky hedging.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 26th Jun 19, 4:51 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 4,037 Thanks
    LadyDee
    A hawthorn hedge is a good deterrent.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Jun 19, 5:18 AM
    • 66,519 Posts
    • 390,852 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Fences don't work, they fall over in the wind, they get graffiti, they attract drunks and neds.

Plant a very prickly bush and, over time, forget the fence.

They won't linger too long near a prickly bush + any damage soon gets self-sorted. You just need to nip out 2-3x a year and keep it trimmed.

It saves money too as mending fences is very expensive.
    • aylesby
    • By aylesby 26th Jun 19, 9:49 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    aylesby
    Fence damage is a week end sport round my way this year. Replacing with concrete works best.
    The stronger fences have vertical slats of wood and a horizontal top and bottom frame. The thicker the better.
    Weaker fences have horizontal slats in construction. These are cheapest and attract attention first.
    • baxio
    • By baxio 26th Jun 19, 10:10 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    baxio
    We have slide in fence posts where we can slide fence panels in.

What about sliding gravel boards in instead? I've seen a video of a chav kicking one in, but they just slid down from above and trapped him!
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 26th Jun 19, 12:20 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    FreeBear
    plant spiky hedging.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    My favorite - Poncirus Trifoliata - Thorns up to 3" long, scented flowers in the summer, followed by small, edible fruits. Although anyone trying to eat one straight from the bush will not come back for second helpings
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 26th Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    Get CCTV, not just signs. See what is going on and if it isn't just the same idiots.
    • markin
    • By markin 27th Jun 19, 12:21 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    markin
    Screw 5mm 6x6 plywood to the outside, stained brown to last, they are smooth so hard to climb and you cant kick it in easily.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

855Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter