Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 25th Jun 19, 11:09 AM
    • 136Posts
    • 10Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    Does Triple Glazing Increase House Value Compared To Double?
    • 25th Jun 19, 11:09 AM
    Does Triple Glazing Increase House Value Compared To Double? 25th Jun 19 at 11:09 AM
    Really can not decide if to get triple glazing or double.

A couple of the points i am wondering on :

Will triple increase the value of the property compared to double if i sell in the future?

Is triple a lot more to expensive to fix out of warranty? For example the glass just needs replacing will i find it hard to get the glass and will it be a lot more expensive than double?
Page 1
    • baxio
    • By baxio 25th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    baxio
    • 25th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 25th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    Triple glazing is designed more for colder countries like in Scandanvia. It can actually make your house cooler during the day as sunlight can't get through it as well because it is thicker. It is also heavier and may not be compatible with older stone walls due to the weight.

If you do decide to fit it, I'd go triple glazing on the North facing windows and double on the South facing windows for the above reasons.

But personally I don't think it's worth it. We replaced the crappy old safesytle UK double glazing with more modern double glazing of better quality, including soundproof windows for the front bedrooms which are life changing!

Not sure how it affects house prices, but I don't feel you get a return on investment in the UK, especially on the South facing windows.

Dan
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 25th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    • 25th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    • 25th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    Triple glazing is designed more for colder countries like in Scandanvia. It can actually make your house cooler during the day as sunlight can't get through it as well because it is thicker. It is also heavier and may not be compatible with older stone walls due to the weight.

If you do decide to fit it, I'd go triple glazing on the North facing windows and double on the South facing windows for the above reasons.

But personally I don't think it's worth it. We replaced the crappy old safesytle UK double glazing with more modern double glazing of better quality, including soundproof windows for the front bedrooms which are life changing!

Not sure how it affects house prices, but I don't feel you get a return on investment in the UK, especially on the South facing windows.

Dan
    Originally posted by baxio
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for your great help

What are sound proof windows exactly? Is it the plastic part which is sound proof or is something done differently in the glass? Is there a big price difference?
    • baxio
    • By baxio 25th Jun 19, 12:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    baxio
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:02 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:02 PM
    I say sound proof, it's more like sound resistant. We can't hear most of the traffic, just the buses, mopeds and boy racers (and they are quieter) but it's quiet enough now to sleep.

It's between the price of double glazed and triple glazed (triple glazing also cuts out noise.)

I think it just has a thicker layer of argon gas in it which insulates against the sound.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 25th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    I doubt triple glazing will affect the house value. I don't see why it should cost much more to replace sealed units, they are not dear anyway.

We only got it because it hardly added anything to the cost at the time. I can't say I've noticed any difference sound wise.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • John.Wright
    • By John.Wright 25th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John.Wright
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    I remember watching some kind of test on the one show or something similar where they created an environment and tried to test which glazing would reduce the most amount of outside noise pollution and it appeared that on that test double glazing actually did a better job at keeping noise out. Take that with a pinch of salt but from what people tell me double glazing is more than good enough in most scenarios, save your cash and get fancy handles or something like that.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 25th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    • 9,702 Posts
    • 11,841 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    For ordinary windows in most locations I would say that DG is sufficient.

I would appreciate triple glazing on very large window walls, or if there was a serious noise issue (traffic, airport etc). But I don't like houses with large window walls or noise issues anyway.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 25th Jun 19, 3:17 PM
    • 27,113 Posts
    • 72,418 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:17 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 3:17 PM
    It will not increase the value over DG. People just don't care that much.

For the price difference it offers very little extra warmth. In fact, the frames are what will let the thermal performance and U Value down near to that of the DG. Unless you're spending an absolute fortune more than DG, you're getting pretty much the same product.

We've built ourselves an airtight house and still gone for DG, except we've gone fancy in the fixed roof lights as that's where most heat would be lost from the windows.

Don't bother. They will make no noticeable difference and never pay you back. There are probably better energy savings that you can make in your home that will pay for themselves.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ytfcmad
    • By ytfcmad 25th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    ytfcmad
    • 25th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    OP, take no notice of Baxio, ive 25 years at the core of the industry so i think i know what i'm talking about.

No it wont up your house value.
    Yes easily replaced if needed.
    Yes, triple is a little more expensive .
    You will never ever notice the difference between double and triple.

"as sunlight can't get through it as well" one of the funniest things ive read on here in a while.
    Last edited by ytfcmad; 25-06-2019 at 6:20 PM.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 25th Jun 19, 9:12 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 2,113 Thanks
    no1catman
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your great help

What are sound proof windows exactly? Is it the plastic part which is sound proof or is something done differently in the glass? Is there a big price difference?
    Originally posted by AdventureRocks
    Since Feb last year have all bar one rear bedroom window replaced all our d/g windows, with laminated noise reduction d/g to give an appreciable difference - live of a dual carriageway. Extra cost - about 60.00 per window.
    Incidentally, did query about 'triple' but was advised against it, as it is the d/g are A+!
    HTHs
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th Jun 19, 7:26 AM
    • 28,706 Posts
    • 100,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    save your cash and get fancy handles or something like that.
    Originally posted by John.Wright

Unusual glazing won't sell your house, but if it's really fancy, like fake leaded lights or weird coloured inserts, it may pee off prospective buyers with better more conventional taste than you.

Well finished, quality kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, but even those won't increase the value in line with their cost, or shift the house to a quieter, more up-market position if it's in an undesirably noisy place.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 26th Jun 19, 7:48 AM
    • 4,607 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    bengalknights
    There is slighly better energy savings on triple glazing and the newer glass from Pilkington even has a solar heat generating glass option but it comes down to how much you save vs payback compared to DG.
    • baxio
    • By baxio 26th Jun 19, 10:07 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    baxio
    OP, take no notice of Baxio, ive 25 years at the core of the industry so i think i know what i'm talking about.

"as sunlight can't get through it as well" one of the funniest things ive read on here in a while.
    Originally posted by ytfcmad
    Sorry, I should have said ENERGY not sunlight, but I am right. Less ENERGY can get through, so windows that are on shadier facing sides can be colder during the day:

Google "triple glazing less sunlight" and look at the Anglican Homes results
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 28th Jun 19, 10:07 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    troffasky
    Is it the plastic part which is sound proof or is something done differently in the glass?
    Originally posted by AdventureRocks

Differing thicknesses of glass mean that a given frequency is less likely to pass through all the sheets in total. Thicker glass also passes less sound.
    • frozen_wastes
    • By frozen_wastes 1st Jul 19, 7:56 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    frozen_wastes
    I've got triple glazing on my house, and it was most likely fitted when the house was built 26 years ago. In spite of that, I was only given a grade F on my energy performance certificate.

In terms of construction, they're wooden framed with no signs of rotting. There's only a single seal on the window opening and I guess newer window frames have double or triple sealing. (single seals are annoying as spiders love taking up residence in the resulting open cavity!)

Nominal U Value for old style tripling glazing is about 2, whereas new style double glazing is 1.4 and new style triple glazing is about 0.8.

I don't think triple glazing increases your house value at all. But it will improve energy performance at lot. I did a calculation using assumed U-Values for all the surfaces in my property, and I came to the conclusion that my windows were the biggest source of conductive heat loss. This is despite my windows already being triple glazed. That said, that statement all assumes that you have no curtains or blinds drawn. I've gone for the thermal blinds, and they make an instant difference to the feeling of warmth if they are lowered.

However despite that, the upgrade costs outweigh the energy savings. There's no point upgrading windows for it's own sake unless your existing frames are deteriorating. However if you are replacing windows, assuming the additional costs of triple glazing are small, then I would go for triple glazing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,207Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter