Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • blueye
    • By blueye 23rd Jun 19, 9:06 PM
    • 305Posts
    • 81Thanks
    Advice re kitchen installation
    • #1
    • 23rd Jun 19, 9:06 PM
    Advice re kitchen installation 23rd Jun 19 at 9:06 PM
    Hi I have an American fridge freezer that is 908 wide Iím not sure what to buy to box it in as I donít want a 1000 bridging unit as the gaps would be to big...I was thinking I could get end panels to go on the sides of the two tall units that will be either side of the F/F would this work?
    Also do I need to buy end panels for cupboards either side of a Belfast sink?
    And is it acceptable to ask Fitterís for quotes when I havenít bought it yet or will they think Iím wasting their time?
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 24th Jun 19, 9:44 AM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 72,400 Thanks
    • #2
    • 24th Jun 19, 9:44 AM
    • #2
    • 24th Jun 19, 9:44 AM
    What goes over the fridge freezer? It's unlikely to be as tall as the units. The fitter could do something with filler panels under a 1000mm bridging unit, but depending on the range that your supplier offers, there could be different ways of bridging the gap.

    I would buy end panels for the belfast sink. Actually, I don't buy proper belfast sinks as I think they're impractical and there are too many places for water to sit, but end panels either side will keep edges to a minimum. If people want ceramic sinks, we usually buy inset ones.

    You can speak to fitters now - they'll actually help you with what might be sensible, after all, they'll be more experienced with the little tricks than you are.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • blueye
    • By blueye 24th Jun 19, 7:40 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    • #3
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:40 PM
    • #3
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:40 PM
    Tall units are 1245 high F/F is 1790 high and the bridging unit to go on top of the F/F is 360 high I thought if I added a tall end panel to both tall units that would give enough room for the F/F to fit in if I got a 900 bridging unit....I think the panels are 18mm thick so would leave a 936 space in the middle F/F is 908 wide so there would be a 14mm gap down either side rather than a 46mm gap that a 1000 bridging unit would leave.
    Thanks for the advice regarding the Belfast sink panels,...i know theyíre impractical but really love the look of them so Iíll be extra careful when I wash up haha
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 25th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    • #4
    • 25th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • #4
    • 25th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    I would go for the wider bridging unit, give the fridge more ventilation around it and easier to move it into place, and out if necessary at any point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,125Users online

Martin's Twitter