Long holiday

First off, I imagine I wont be having a long holiday, but after 7 in 28 years i would like just a once in a lifetime holiday and fancy a round the world cruise which takes three months.

However i have three dogs and besides the practicalities, i wonder if it would be fair on them. Has anyone experience of an extended break away from their dogs and if so what route did you choose in terms their care.

TIA
Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Bugslet

The longest I have 'left' the dogs has been 6 weeks (knee op) but I generally go away for 5 or 6 weeks ( in a block, not in total!!) each year when they stay in kennels.
    Both dogs lived in kennels until they were 2 yo when I rehomed them so they are used to the situation and create havoc in the back of the car when they realise where they are going- can't wait to get in there!
    It is not a cheap option 'though!

My trips are not as long as you are considering but they are thrilled to go in, and thrilled to come out

I wonder in your situation with 3 dogs how the cost of a dog sitter would pan out? Currently I am paying £8 per dog per night.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    If they went to kennels, I estimate around 5 k! I could do that mostly because I've never spent on holidays in my life! I might have a discussion with the kennels I use and see what they think, dealt with them for decades.

I was favouring a pet sitter, not sure I'd get many volunteers for Runcorn for three months in winter.

Thanks Katie
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a Retriever who due to my moving to a new area for work ended up having 15 months in a kennels. They were great, family run and as I worked the full Christmas/ New Year run of shifts took him into their home for the festive period, not cheap but I did visit on my days off.

I wasn't allowed him in my residence. When I eventually found my own place he settled straight back in, so three months being in kennels won't adversely affect your dogs.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wrote you another reply- but it seems to have vanished!

If you are going away in winter then apart from Christmas it is generally a quiet season for the kennels so you might be able to bargain for a long term/ cut price deal. Worth an ask.

I am hoping to go on 6 week trip next year- 4 weeks already booked but waiting for a price drop in the cruise 2 weeks earlier! (Ever hopeful) I think that's the longest cruise I would enjoy to be truthful

Whatever you do, enjoy
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    We went to USA for 3months. My dogs had been in local kennels before but I wanted them to go where they were experienced with dogs long term rather than 2 weeks at a time.

I chose a kennel who had a quarantine section so were used to long term care and wouldlickup any problems.

The kennels were owned by a vet.

One of my dogs suffered from kennel stress which meant he was losing weight although fed as normal, They had to feed him twice his normal amount.

The kennel maids walked the dogs over the near by hills.

When we came home the dogs settled in as if they had never been away.

They were in great condition physically and mentally.
  • bugslett
    Thanks crv, Katie and sheramber, I wasnt expecting such a positive endorsement of long term kennels. As I said, its kennels I've used for around 25 years, so I'll have a discussion with them and see about options.. it would be Jan through to April, so yes, there quiet time.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As Katiehound says you should be able to get a good discount, I initially signed up for 6 months, I was offered a 25% discount, which was increased to 33% once it was clear it would be at least a year, they did offer to train him to the gun as he had such a good grasp of retrieve and was soft mouthed but I declined that, the lady at the kennels cried when he eventually left.

So I would ask for pay for 2 dogs get one free? They may surprise you, especially if it is likely that you may repeat the experience again at a future point?
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bugslett
    Good thinking curve. I wont expect to go away for such a long time again, but 6 week breaks could be a possibility.
  • purple45
    purple45 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you'd be happy to have someone live in your home while you're away you could consider a live in dog sitter. My sister regularly does this and looks after all sorts of different pets while also providing a little security in the house. I think there are probably websites to look into this. But the sitter would be getting free accommodation etc in exchange so it may be a cheaper option. I don't know much about it and my sister does this abroad mostly but thought I'd give it a mention.
    Many thanks to everyone who posts competitions and works so hard to provide all the answers!
    Best wins this year so far: £100 Hobbycraft Voucher, £50 cash, GoPro Camera
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do you know anyone who might take them in while you’re away? Would be a good taster session for someone who’s considering getting a dog and I’d imagine most dogs would prefer to be in a home than in kennels.

If I lived closer to you and didn’t have a cat I’d offer. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport