Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ukmoonlitknight
    • By ukmoonlitknight 18th Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ukmoonlitknight
    Supplier not offering their best deal?
    • 18th Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    Supplier not offering their best deal? 18th Jun 19 at 4:44 PM
    I've received notice for the end of my dual fuel deal and as a member of the energy club looked for alternatives. My current supplier SSE is listed at 500 less than the best deal they've offered me!
    Is that even legal? It certainly seems immoral.
    I've double checked by entering the supplier offered deal details into the energy club and also looked at the standing charge and KWH rates. I've also updated usage on the energy club.(Deal version numbers appear to be deliberately made confusing - v16 offered, against 1 year fixed v2 on the energy club).
    If I enter that v2 deal on SSE website (there are dozens more than the 'best' they offered by email) it still looks like 500 more! (Confused)
    I'm assuming that I can switch to the same supplier through the energy club and get the better deal. Is that correct?
    Who said switching was simple? !
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 18th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    The 500 figure may be the "saving" if you let the current deal elapse and then stay on the standard tariff for the rest of the year.

You need to find out what your usage is and what you're currently paying, then compare them to the new rates to see the true savings.
    • ukmoonlitknight
    • By ukmoonlitknight 18th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukmoonlitknight
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    Thanks. To clarify.
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    The saving of 500 on the energy club is against the best rate SSE have offered me. Thoroughly checked as mentioned in opening post. That best rate offered by SSE is just 34 better than their standard rate if left to automatically end! Derisory offer and a con, if the club rate is right and can be taken up. Hope that clarifies things. Love to know if I can switch to same provider through energy club and why there is such a difference.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 18th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    Energy suppliers can offer better/cheaper deals via comparison sites than their own web site/phone sales. These deals are only available from the price comparison sites, never direct from the supplier.

That is perfectly legal and is part of OFGEM's tactics to make people look at comparison sites and encourage switching suppliers.

The energy company has to tell about the cheapest tariff that they can swap you to (as part of their suppliers licence). So the comparison site specials cannot be mentioned as they are not directly available from the supplier.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 18th Jun 19, 7:05 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:05 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:05 PM
    Love to know if I can switch to same provider through energy club.
    Originally posted by ukmoonlitknight
    If the CEC shows a tariff then normally there is no reason why you cannot swap to it. (the system is supposed to know the supplier's rules so only offer tariffs that are valid for you assuming you have told CEC the correct details of your current suppliers).
    In the past, I've swapped via the CEC from E.On to E.ON without issue.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 18th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    The saving of 500 on the energy club is against the best rate SSE have offered me. Thoroughly checked as mentioned in opening post. That best rate offered by SSE is just 34 better than their standard rate if left to automatically end! Derisory offer and a con, if the club rate is right and can be taken up. Hope that clarifies things. Love to know if I can switch to same provider through energy club and why there is such a difference.
    Originally posted by ukmoonlitknight
    I've just ran a check via MSE's Energy Club:

SSE Exclusive 1 Year Fixed v2

Gas unit rate: 3.854p per kWh
    Gas standing charge: 26.513p per day
    Electricity unit rate: 14.658p per kWh
    Electricity standing charge: 23.258p per day
    Tariff ends on: 12 months fixed term

Blurb says the tariff is "exclusive". Presumably to MSE Energy Club.

From SSE:

1 Year Fixed v16 tariff

Gas unit rate: 3.94p per kWh
    Gas standing charge: 25.50p per day
    Electricity unit rate: 18.11p per kWh
    Electricity standing charge: 22.35p per day
    Tariff ends on: One year from supply start date.

SSE standard rate tariff

Gas unit rate: 4.11p per kWh
    Gas standing charge: 26.52p per day
    Electricity unit rate: 18.86p per kWh
    Electricity standing charge: 23.24p per day
    Tariff ends on: No End Date

The difference in standing charge between MSE Energy Club's exclusive tariff and SSE's standing tariff is 4p per year. And 6 a year between MSE Energy Club's exclusive tariff and SSE's v16 tariff. Both in SSE's favour, but pretty insignificant.

Using the highest energy figures from this website, 18,000kWh for gas and 4,600kWh for electricity, I calculate the following annual costs of energy:

Code:
                  MSE EC     SSE v16     SSE Std
    Gas:            694        709        740
    Electricity:    674        833        866
    Total:        1,368      1,542      1,606
    A difference of ~240/year between the tariff suggested by MSE Energy Club and SSE's standard tariff.

A difference of ~174/year between the tariff suggested by MSE Energy Club and SSE's v16 best offering.

If you're usage suggests an annual saving of 500 you're either a very high energy user or there's something wrong with the figures you're using.
    • ukmoonlitknight
    • By ukmoonlitknight 18th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukmoonlitknight
    • 18th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    Thanks
    • 18th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    Thanks everyone.
    I'll try and get the deal from the energy club tomorrow.

I've used the correct figures using actual readings, making sure they are like for like on SSE site and on the club.
    SSE have quoted over 2000 given my usage! Around 1,500 for the club.
    Hadn't realised there are 'specials' on the comparison sites. I mistakenly thought that v2 was v2 not 'special' v2 and 'rubbish' v2!
    Thanks very much for that info.

I live in a solid wall Victorian house, work from home and like it warm! ;-)
    Also live "up north". Hence the high usage...
    I'm going to check if I can get a second gen meter from SSE (in case I need to switch next year) and be more efficient!

Ofgems tactics might help those of us who are internet savvy, but I feel for those folks who don't have access or are frightened to use the 'net.
    Again, thanks to everyone for your help. Really, really appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,667Posts Today

8,794Users online

Martin's Twitter