Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ColinKistruck
    • By ColinKistruck 17th Jun 19, 6:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ColinKistruck
    What has happened to Economy 7 tariffs ?
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:27 PM
    What has happened to Economy 7 tariffs ? 17th Jun 19 at 6:27 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that hardly any new tariffs with nearly all energy suppliers ( big and small ) do not now have different unit prices for day and night units under the Economy 7 system.
    I've been looking to change suppliers ( to continue saving money ), but its seems now, despite listing Economy 7 tariffs, the cost per unit is exactly the same Day or Night.
    Is this just another sneaky way to increase the cost and profits.
    Also its a disincentive to decrease the peak load on the electricity grid by shifting demand, something we desperately need to do.
Page 1
    • kapum
    • By kapum 17th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    kapum
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that hardly any new tariffs with nearly all energy suppliers ( big and small ) do not now have different unit prices for day and night units under the Economy 7 system.
    I've been looking to change suppliers ( to continue saving money ), but its seems now, despite listing Economy 7 tariffs, the cost per unit is exactly the same Day or Night.
    Also its a disincentive to decrease the peak load on the electricity grid by shifting demand, something we desperately need to do.
    Originally posted by ColinKistruck
    No, I can't say I have.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 17th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 4,618 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    Originally posted by ColinKistruck
    i don t think its anything sinister .You would be surprised how widespread Eco 7 meter s are where they have been installed in newer properties with gas central heating from new.
    As a long term meter reader I have been to many towns, usually close to large power stations , where Eco 7 meter s are in every property , the majority without night storage heaters.Towns like Worksop, Mansfield and Retford have large numbers of Eco 7.
    I think it is to encourage night use to keep the power stations going as electricity cannot be stored.
    A day and night rate, fairly close in price will appeal to these users who typically will only use 15% to 20 % night rate uses
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 17th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Talldave
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    I'm switching to Yorkshire Energy who's Green Weasel E7 tariff has a break even of 15% night time usage for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,125Users online

Martin's Twitter