Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrs baggins
    • By mrs baggins 5th Sep 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,275Posts
    • 642Thanks
    mrs baggins
    running 5k and need help with technique
    • 5th Sep 18, 11:35 AM
    running 5k and need help with technique 5th Sep 18 at 11:35 AM
    I am not running marathons just the local 5k park run. I don't do it every week and didn't do it all summer when it was really hot and did it for the first time since june last week.

I had not run much at all since june just a few runs about a mile or so but I really do have a problem with my breathing. On the run saturday I had to stop 5 times-each time for about 10-20 seconds as I just needed to get my breath. my body could go more but my breathing needs sorting.

I know I could join a running club but I cant really dedicate myself enough to do this as I have lots going on at the moment.

I think my problem is that i run a bit too fast (for me) but cant seem to reduce my pace so hence my need to stop and breathe. I am not a young chick ( lol) but have always been to gym and have been running on and off for about 2 years. I have done the park run a couple of times without stopping once but just lately need to more often.

Any techniques that i could try would be more than welcome. Should I try to go slower but actually do 3 miles without stopping or should I try something else??
Page 3
    • Askalaba
    • By Askalaba 29th May 19, 4:56 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Askalaba
    Can anyone explain cadence to me? I'm trying to understand how it will impact any progress I make.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Cadence is simply the number of steps you take per minute. The aim is to have a consistent cadence throughout the race as this suggests you're pacing yourself well.

Just to give you an idea my average cadence is usually 168 steps per minute (so just under 3 steps per second). I've got a 10k PB of 39 minutes so I'm relatively quick (but nothing compared to professional athletes ). I'm also 6"3 so my strides are quite big.

Try to get a fitness tracker that measures cadence so that you can keep on top of it
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way
    • Askalaba
    • By Askalaba 29th May 19, 5:00 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Askalaba
    On the run saturday I had to stop 5 times-each time for about 10-20 seconds as I just needed to get my breath. my body could go more but my breathing needs sorting.
    Originally posted by mrs baggins
    If you're stopping 5 times then you need to slow down a little. It sounds like the adrenaline is taking control and you're going a tad too quick.

As it's your lungs and not your body that's letting you down i'd recommend the following. Try to run with a straight back as this will open your chest up and let the air in, take big conscious breaths in and out of your mouth (about 3 second inhale and 1 second exhale).
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 29th May 19, 7:00 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    I have just started running again after about 18 months of various injuries. I say running but I really mean plodding. I had read this thread before I went out so I determined to do the 5k without stopping even if it was slower - boy was it slow!
    TBH my PB for ParkRun is 32 mins after doing a couch to 5k and then joining a bootcamp programme aimed at improving 5k PB so I was never going to be quick!
    I get reasonable short of breath pretty quickly but after that it doesn't get much worse - my legs just turn to lead and I get even slower.

1st run was 42:28 for 4.8km
    2nd run (a week later) was marginally better at 42:26 for 5.2km
    Max heart rate of 183 which is not great for a 51 yr old (Garmin watch so not massively accurate)

I guess I just need to keep getting out there - it has to get better, doesn't it?
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Yes it does, as long as you exercise regularly. I went from 5km to 10km, didnít think Iíd ever manage it, but I did. The body adapts as long as you build up gradually.

I think 183 is not bad.

I had to stop running due to bad knees. But I do miss it. I do ice skating now instead.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,243Posts Today

7,398Users online

Martin's Twitter