Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrs baggins
    • By mrs baggins 5th Sep 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,275Posts
    • 642Thanks
    mrs baggins
    running 5k and need help with technique
    • 5th Sep 18, 11:35 AM
    running 5k and need help with technique 5th Sep 18 at 11:35 AM
    I am not running marathons just the local 5k park run. I don't do it every week and didn't do it all summer when it was really hot and did it for the first time since june last week.

I had not run much at all since june just a few runs about a mile or so but I really do have a problem with my breathing. On the run saturday I had to stop 5 times-each time for about 10-20 seconds as I just needed to get my breath. my body could go more but my breathing needs sorting.

I know I could join a running club but I cant really dedicate myself enough to do this as I have lots going on at the moment.

I think my problem is that i run a bit too fast (for me) but cant seem to reduce my pace so hence my need to stop and breathe. I am not a young chick ( lol) but have always been to gym and have been running on and off for about 2 years. I have done the park run a couple of times without stopping once but just lately need to more often.

Any techniques that i could try would be more than welcome. Should I try to go slower but actually do 3 miles without stopping or should I try something else??
Page 2
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 7th Nov 18, 12:29 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    I'll go against all advice Iv'e read and tell you I get my PB's at 5K when I go as fast as I can, for as long as I can, completely exhaust myself by 3-4K and struggle to the finish. If I pace myself I always finish with energy left!

Sounds like your fitness is the issue, try some longer slower runs in the week, to the point where your legs are stopping you not your breathing.
    • TuppenceWorth
    • By TuppenceWorth 8th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    TuppenceWorth
    Hmmmm
    That's a recipe for exhaustion in 200 metres.

Agree with second paragraph. It's all about fitness. Start slow and train to get faster. There are no magic answers.
    Keep at it.
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 8th Nov 18, 2:10 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    Another good tip if you do want to pace yourself as a beginner at parkrun, is start right at the back not the front, its practically impossible to go fast for the first 1K :-)
    • katteegord
    • By katteegord 11th Nov 18, 6:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    katteegord
    breathe is important - try so-called 2-2 rhythm, taking two steps while inhaling and two steps at the exhale
    • k.green
    • By k.green 15th Nov 18, 12:28 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    k.green
    Sounds like you're running too fast for too long a distance. Try slowing your pace for your long run and you can improve your fitness by adding an interval run into your training as well. For example try running as fast as possible for 30secs then resting for 30secs, keep repeating for 5-10mins.
    • bella_m
    • By bella_m 18th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bella_m
    A running watch to help you with your pacing could help. and one with a heart rate monitor could give you good feedback. Go slow and find a range that fits you better.

As you are already a runner you know how quickly you loose the fitness. Trying to go the same speed you used to will take a little paitence to get back to.

Good luck and keep at it.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 21st Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    my body could go more but my breathing needs sorting.
    Originally posted by mrs baggins
    It can't because your cardiovascular fitness is not sufficient to deliver oxygen to your muscles fast enough, which you experience as being 'out of breath'. You need to slow the pace until your fitness improves. If you find this too tricky - try a run\walk strategy. e.g. Run for 1km, walk for 200m. Or whatever works for you.
    • voonky
    • By voonky 28th Nov 18, 5:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    voonky
    Yeah, I had the same question because I ran just 1 km and I had worst pain in my legs. So I thought maybe it is due to a wrong technique.

Thank you for all the answers!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 29th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 9,237 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I have just started running again after about 18 months of various injuries. I say running but I really mean plodding. I had read this thread before I went out so I determined to do the 5k without stopping even if it was slower - boy was it slow!
    TBH my PB for ParkRun is 32 mins after doing a couch to 5k and then joining a bootcamp programme aimed at improving 5k PB so I was never going to be quick!
    I get reasonable short of breath pretty quickly but after that it doesn't get much worse - my legs just turn to lead and I get even slower.

1st run was 42:28 for 4.8km
    2nd run (a week later) was marginally better at 42:26 for 5.2km
    Max heart rate of 183 which is not great for a 51 yr old (Garmin watch so not massively accurate)

I guess I just need to keep getting out there - it has to get better, doesn't it?
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 30th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    bxboards

Can anyone explain cadence to me? I'm trying to understand how it will impact any progress I make.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    It's how many times your foot strikes the ground per minute.

I had a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus, and now have an Amazfit Stratos and both claim I'm around 183 spm ('strikes per minute'), although I take that with a pinch of salt like most running watch measurements.

In theory if you want to use this info, to speed up you can either do more strikes per minute, or increase your stride length, or for maximum effect both.

Last week I ran just over 8 miles in just over an hour with a cadence of 183 spm. When I go faster, say over 5k, I can knock over 1:00 / mi of my mile time but my cadence only goes up to 186spm, so the speed gain in mainly in stride length, so it's worth looking at that metric as well.
    Last edited by bxboards; 30-11-2018 at 1:45 PM.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 1st Dec 18, 7:08 AM
    • 10,086 Posts
    • 14,946 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I'll go against all advice Iv'e read and tell you I get my PB's at 5K when I go as fast as I can, for as long as I can, completely exhaust myself by 3-4K and struggle to the finish. If I pace myself I always finish with energy left!

Sounds like your fitness is the issue, try some longer slower runs in the week, to the point where your legs are stopping you not your breathing.
    Originally posted by dont_use_vistaprint
    I'm the same, I don't have good speed, so I have to set a strong pace. At the moment my PB is 23.57 (which I am satisfied with as I'm 61 in January). I don't think (know) that I will improve on that time until either next Spring or on a frosty day, as mud is slowing me down right now.

But I have just started (last week) a more varied/methodical training schedule, I do an easy run plus about 6 'strides' (over 100 m accelerate from a jog to 95% then drop down to a jog again) on Sundays, a longer run on Mondays (currently 6 miles, but I will increase to about 9 miles). On Tuesdays I just do a fast walk (almost a rest day) for about 4 miles, Wednesday I run 1.65 km (it is around the street that I live on) as fast as I can, then rest for about 10 mins and then do a 5 mile easy run with more 'strides', on Thursdays I cross train on a bike, and Friday is another fast walk day. Of course on Saturdays I do the Parkrun (although it is raining quite hard now, so today I'm going to skip the race for the first time since I started about 4 months ago), also my hamstring injury is aching because my physio exercises were increased with more intensity this week.

So I have introduced some speed work and I'm also introducing some endurance work too, as well as increasing my overall weekly mileage. I'm hoping to see some results in 3 - 4 months. My ultimate goal is to do a sub 23 min run. Which I might be able to achieve, especially as I have been running with a slight hamstring injury ever since I started (I'm getting physio for it). When that injury clears up, I'm hoping for a reasonable improvement.
    Last edited by chucknorris; 01-12-2018 at 7:11 AM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 1st Dec 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    bxboards
    So I have introduced some speed work and I'm also introducing some endurance work too, as well as increasing my overall weekly mileage. I'm hoping to see some results in 3 - 4 months. My ultimate goal is to do a sub 23 min run. Which I might be able to achieve, especially as I have been running with a slight hamstring injury ever since I started (I'm getting physio for it). When that injury clears up, I'm hoping for a reasonable improvement.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    You look to have got a very good balance, I like to do 1 fast walk a week and 1 fairly long cycle rather than attempt to run 5 times a week.

Regarding walking, as humans are designed to walk about then walking per se isn't really exercise and has no real cardiovascular benefits unless you really increase the pace. For example on Monday I did an 11 mile potter around some footpaths and bridleways but pretty much an amble. That has no fitness benefit at all (Training Effect of 0.7 TE), whereas yesterday I walked 3 miles in just under 40 minutes averaging 4.5 mph pace. That gave a training effect of 2.1 ('moderate exercise effort') - so fast walkjng can at least keep cardiovascular levels in a holding pattern - you won't increase, but won't lose the levels gained by running either and there is very little risk of injury via walking vs. running.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 1st Dec 18, 12:41 PM
    • 10,086 Posts
    • 14,946 Thanks
    chucknorris
    You look to have got a very good balance, I like to do 1 fast walk a week and 1 fairly long cycle rather than attempt to run 5 times a week.

Regarding walking, as humans are designed to walk about then walking per se isn't really exercise and has no real cardiovascular benefits unless you really increase the pace. For example on Monday I did an 11 mile potter around some footpaths and bridleways but pretty much an amble. That has no fitness benefit at all (Training Effect of 0.7 TE), whereas yesterday I walked 3 miles in just under 40 minutes averaging 4.5 mph pace. That gave a training effect of 2.1 ('moderate exercise effort') - so fast walkjng can at least keep cardiovascular levels in a holding pattern - you won't increase, but won't lose the levels gained by running either and there is very little risk of injury via walking vs. running.
    Originally posted by bxboards
    I think walking is seriously under rated as a form of exercise, I also walk (briskly) most of the days that I run too, I have a dog and he doesn't come with me on the parkruns, and I don't take him on my speed sessions either. I also do some (not a lot of) weight training and core exercises 2-3 times a week too. I struggle to swim regularly because to me it just seems like hassle having to get to the pool, change and avoid busy times.
    Last edited by chucknorris; 01-12-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 30th Dec 18, 5:19 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Sibz
    You need to be doing something at least 3 times a week to maintain or improve your fitness... It doesn't have to be 5k just something that tires you. Less than that and you shouldn't expect progress.

If you're just starting back - persevere til you've been exercising regularly for 6 weeks... Then you could introduce some interval training. Series of short distance sprints followed by limited recovery periods - session by session gradually reduce the recovery periods between sprints. This will improve your cardio systems capacity and shorten recovery periods when needed (hills on your 5k route etc).

On a second reading I noticed you mentioned wheezing in your chest (or something like that) - make sure you don't have a virus or something - never train until something like that is fully out your system
    • mooch
    • By mooch 17th Jan 19, 5:40 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    mooch
    youtube "pose running" to get the optimal method for distance running. you need to practice but once you get it, running is so much more effortless and easier on your body.
    • bland
    • By bland 18th Mar 19, 3:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bland
    I had a similar problem so downloaded "Pace Control" on my mobile. It gives audible feedback on pace as I run. I set it to alert me every half km and then adjusted my pace to keep on track with what I wanted to achieve. Obviously you will need to lower your pace but having this will keep you on track during your 5km run.
    • davidgreams
    • By davidgreams 20th Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davidgreams
    Just run more. You'll be amazed how quickly your cardiovascular endurance improves if you just stay dedicated. If you can only run a mile before you feel like death, then start with that. After a few sessions, you'll feel good at the end of that mile and then you can add more mileage for the next run.

Rinse and repeat. Listen to your body. Don't push yourself too hard too quickly. The biggest mistake I made when I started running was not warming up. The warm-up is imperative.
    • Pension Geek
    • By Pension Geek 23rd Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Pension Geek
    Sounds like a pacing issue. What kind of warm-up do you do? I need minimum 2 miles for a parkrun.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 23rd Apr 19, 9:35 AM
    • 3,234 Posts
    • 4,856 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    It could also be worth looking at "jeffing".

https://www.icanrunclub.co.uk/blog/2017/7/30/what-the-eff-is-jeffing
    • colejames
    • By colejames 24th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    colejames
    The five kilometers go by pretty fast, but this is also why running a 5K can be done at a very fast pace. You will definitely be running above your anaerobic threshold. This means that the oxygen you take in is no longer sufficient to metabolize the increasing lactate, which leads to a buildup of lactate in your body. Depending on how long you continue to run, this buildup inevitably leads to a drop in performance and perhaps even to complete exhaustion. High-intensity interval training can help you train your lactate threshold. This allows you to run at high speeds for a longer period of time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin