Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cottage_retreatist
    • By cottage_retreatist 10th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 843Posts
    • 2,931Thanks
    cottage_retreatist
    My cat died alone and I feel so guilty :(
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    My cat died alone and I feel so guilty :( 10th Jan 18 at 2:25 PM
    I wrote a thread like this 3 years ago.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4955121

And now I'm writing one again. I got a call this morning to say my beautiful bombay [edit:not bengal as originally said, not thinking straight!] beast of a boy Sinbad passed away last night.

He had been at a veterinary hospital being treated for hyperthyroid and the thought of him there alone, afraid and without having seen us for a few days breaks my heart

And I thought I was doing what was best for him.
    Last edited by cottage_retreatist; 10-01-2018 at 3:34 PM.
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015
Page 2
    • cottage_retreatist
    • By cottage_retreatist 24th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 2,931 Thanks
    cottage_retreatist
    May I ask why it's so long before you can pick your lovely kitty up? It seems a long time - sorry if I've missed something.

I regret not letting Ruby see her half-sister had died at the vets - ended up being very sudden and a rush and I didn't give it a thought, but she definitley got a little low and I think it would have helped to have known what happened. Animals - why do we do it to ourselves.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Hi bugslet, its because he died while being treated for hyperthyroid so he's radioactive which means he needs to be at a safe radioactive level for us to bring him home. Not too long now though, less than 4 weeks to go! I agree - we give them all our love don't we? I always think about when they leave us but its always so much worse but I keep rescuing them!
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 24th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    cottage_retreatist, I'm sorry for your loss too.

I just wanted to clarify that (according to the Royal Veterinary College) hyperthyroid treatment with radiation is done with Iodine 131 (I131), this has a half life of just over 8 days, so would explain why you've got to wait weeks to bring him home.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 9,156 Posts
    • 5,462 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I seem to be the opposite of many people on this thread.

Joly our one month short of 15 year-old cavalier was pts on Thursday and I couldn't bare to be present. I have a phobia of anything dead, but also want to remember him as the little dog who loved to work and was Mummy's boy, yowling if left at home ,even with my husband.

I had arranged for a vet nurse to cuddle him, as he didn't really know people individually, but loved a cuddle,but My husband d got home in time and was able to a take him.He had been unwell while I waited to see the vet, so was exhausted and slept on his journey to the vet and throughout, so he didn't know anything and I can have fond memories.

My last dog, Teddy, doesn't seem to miss Joly and is revelling in being the only dog (something I suspect he wanted from the day he joined my existing trio)
    • trishmjones
    • By trishmjones 17th Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    trishmjones
    Iíve just found this thread. I have just lost my lovely cat Lulu in a tragic accident. We were away from our home last Monday afternoon for just an hour and a half and while we were away there was a storm and a freak flash flood in our area. Our garden was flooded for a short time. We searched for Lulu calling her. Four days later our neighbour found her under his shed. She must have tried to shelter and drowned . Iím absolutely devastated and full of guilt. I loved her so much. She was only 2 and a beautiful cat
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 17th Jun 19, 8:05 AM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    Artytarty
    That is so terribly sad, I can only begin to imagine your pain.
    Words are not enough, please know that you and Lulu are in our thoughts.
    It wasn't negligent on you part, just very bad luck.xxxxxx
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • trishmjones
    • By trishmjones 17th Jun 19, 8:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    trishmjones
    Thank you for your kind words. A few years ago our dear Rosie died at the age of 20! We left it for a while and then as we missed her so much and as we are both retired and spend a lot of time at home decided to give a home to another cat. Lulu was a rescue cat . She didnít have a very good start in life and was very thin. She settled with us very quickly and began to put on weight and became a very loving tactile cat. She was extremely pretty and loved being stroked . We kept her in at night and felt we were doing all the right things for her and looked forward to many years with her. I know we canít turn back the clock but keep thinking Ďif onlyí ... I really am suffering and canít stop sobbing. My husband is also very upset but I think he deals with it differently by keeping busy and not talking about her. Iím trying to get on with things but finding it very difficult.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 17th Jun 19, 10:39 AM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    Artytarty
    I'm sure you are traumatised,
    It may a while before you settle can down and come to terms with it.
    Perhaps , in time , you may be able to give another loving home to a friend In Need.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th Jun 19, 11:25 PM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    As an owner who got called by dying cat early hours of Sunday morning (it was the most piercing noise like a baby scream) as her heart failed it was suspected, the vet said even if I had got her to them earlier in the day there was nothing they could have done. What a hole.

The worst of it was if everything had gone to plan and without knowing she was calling time, ironically the little lady was due to be in the cattery this week. I do keep thinking how they would have handled it.

Our pets really do make home, home as I'm finding out after 12 years.
    RIP my Rags. 16/06/19 at 4am
    Know I had to moneysave but you didn't have to go
    x
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 18th Jun 19, 8:17 AM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    Artytarty
    So sorry for you loss too Keepcalm.
    At least you were able to respond to your cat which wouldn't have been the case if she had been in the cattery.
    I know that sound too well, it goes through you like a knife.xxxx
    My old boy is now 16-1/2, I wake up every morning with a sense of dread.
    • trishmjones
    • By trishmjones 18th Jun 19, 9:57 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    trishmjones
    Iím so sorry to hear about dear Rags. Yes they are part of the family definitely. Cats have a bad press I feel in that they are seen as aloof and not so needy as dogs. We have never found this to be true. Our previous cat Rosie died at the age of 20 and it was such an awful time coming to terms that she had gone - even though she had a good life. And now dear little Lulu taken from us at the age of 2 with all her life ahead of her. Iím finding it so hard to cope with the fact she ended her life in such a tragic way and we werenít there for her. I do share your grief but we both will have lovely memories of our wonderful pets. Lots of love - take care xxx
    • rricaresad33
    • By rricaresad33 19th Jun 19, 6:41 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rricaresad33
    Omg it's so sad... I feel so sorry for you
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 25th Jun 19, 12:11 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    Artytarty
    TrishJones and Keepcalm how are you both doing?
    Feel free to offload, in the big real world people often wrongly assume you'll get over the loss of a pet in a few days .....����
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 25th Jun 19, 10:44 PM
    • 4,661 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    TrishJones and Keepcalm how are you both doing?
    Feel free to offload, in the big real world people often wrongly assume you'll get over the loss of a pet in a few days .....����
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Or ask the really insensitive question of will you get another to replace the deceased pet.....as if they were a pair of worm out slippers
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 26th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    Trish, please don't get caught up with "what if". We had a cat go missing about 20 years ago under similar circumstances - very heavy thunder and flooding. Sadly, we never found out what happened to her.

You rescued Lulu from a difficult situation and gave her a lovely life, think about the good times you had together.
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 319/2019
    Boost your income (34) - £2019 in 2019 - £73/£2019
    ...I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 28th Jun 19, 6:56 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    TripleH
    A friend commented the other day that our eldest cat was looking old (she is 14 going on 15) and I know she only has maybe a few years left. But then I worry our middle one (3) will get out and hit by a car (she is youngish and can be a bit daft) or our youngest (2) will die of poisoning (keeps eating a plant that am sure is toxic, despite our best attempts).

Agree that the key is to make the most of the time you do have with any cats you have. When you're ready what might ease the pain is giving a loving home to another rescue cat.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 28th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Oh it's horrible when people express surprise that my cat is still alive, or that he is slower than before.
    For the record, he is 16 1/2 and a large breed that usually has a 12 yr lifespan.
    I like to think he has had the extra years his sister didn't get.
    • CorrineCoo
    • By CorrineCoo 29th Jun 19, 11:44 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    CorrineCoo
    I had an occasion when I left a dog at a vets overnight, he was very poorly, they rang early evening to say that his lungs were filling with fluid and there was little they could do. I could have said hold on till I get there, but the thought of him suffering for 30 minutes +, was not worth it, so I told them to give him the injection and put him out of his suffering. He was the only dog that I wasn't there for at the end.

You did the best thing, I believe I did the best thing. It's horrible to think of them being alone and seeing their empty bed and their bowl on the floor, but if you hadn't taken them to the vet, you'd be on asking if you did enough for him. As owners, we can be very hard on ourselves.

It would have been quick and the vet staff would have stroked him at the end.

Hugs to you.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Got-damned this is the worst. The bowls and the toys still scattered around.... unbearable. But you are right in what you say no doubt.
    • CorrineCoo
    • By CorrineCoo 29th Jun 19, 11:49 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    CorrineCoo
    Hugs to you.[/QUOTE]
    Or ask the really insensitive question of will you get another to replace the deceased pet.....as if they were a pair of worm out slippers
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    How do you write 'Amen' 10 million times on this thing?
    • CorrineCoo
    • By CorrineCoo 29th Jun 19, 11:54 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    CorrineCoo
    You were doing your best for the little one. Who knows, one day they will provide fur parents the option of staying with their charges overnight when they are very ill, even if it is on the other side of protective glass after radiation, just so they know that you are still there for them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter