Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 23rd Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    • 5,592 Posts
    • 7,723 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    No, the 95% figure means that 95% of first time buyers will be 'helped' by the changes to stamp duty.
    Originally posted by northwalesd
    Which undermines Mersey's claim that 'the majority of people' will be helped by this.
    • simond83
    • By simond83 25th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    simond83
    I bought my first home in April this year. However, it was a shared ownership property, and i was able to afford 65% of it.

The total price of the property was 295,000, meaning my 65% share was bought for 191,750. On that price, my Stamp Duty cost came to 1,335. Had i opted to pay the entire stamp duty bill for 100% of the property, i would have paid 4750, but am very pleased i didn't take this option!

So, were the value of my property to stay at 295,000 when i come to staircase up to 100%, would i have to pay Stamp Duty on that remaining 35% (3415), or am i still classed a first time buyer and under the 300K mark, so will i get let off? Can find the answer to this anywhere!

Thanks, Simon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,938Users online

Martin's Twitter