Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 9,988Posts
    • 79,394Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 12:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £50
Page 494
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 24th Jun 19, 7:43 PM
    • 7,334 Posts
    • 54,131 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Another one here wishes it was Friday

I hope you don't ache too much after Pilates. As long as you don't cough or breathe too much you'll be fine
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £366.57
    Emergency Fund £3300/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Jun 19, 7:45 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SA . I feel okay now but in the morning I may not be able to get out of bed .
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 24th Jun 19, 8:01 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 15,370 Thanks
    teafor2
    Evening HHD Hope you're not feeling too rough with your cold. Laughing at you only bumping into DS in the kitchen, it's similar here at the moment. DD manages to drag herself out of bed just gone noon, mooches around the kitchen for a bit eating whatever she can find then takes herself upstairs again. Our chatting time seems to be while she's waiting for the kettle to boil for another brew xx
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 24th Jun 19, 9:39 PM
    • 13,314 Posts
    • 226,392 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks SA . I feel okay now but in the morning I may not be able to get out of bed .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Were you at my pilates class? I feel the same, and have to go to the 9am one tomorrow as I'm away for work for the rest of the week...
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 24th Jun 19, 9:58 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    What is it with the internet today, ours stopped working at the hospital today, it's a bad omen because next year we are going completely computerised god knows what will happen then if the internet packs up
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,993 Total Now Owed = £15,637
    Emergency Fund = £1,600 Xmas savings = £350 Start Weight 4/6/19 = 10 ST 11LB
    Current Weight = 10 ST 9 LB
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 25th Jun 19, 10:56 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    What is it with the internet today, ours stopped working at the hospital today, it's a bad omen because next year we are going completely computerised god knows what will happen then if the internet packs up
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    This is why the real (and more likely) apocalypse does not feature zombis, or even pandemics, but loss of electricity or internet. We'd all be totally scuppered !

Really really dark this morning - had to have hall light on to see Asda delivery !! I love hot weather but lights on during the day in June - unbelievable.

HH, hope you managed to crawl out of bed not too much the worse for Pilates, and that your cold is gradually abating. I
    • milann
    • By milann 25th Jun 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 16,025 Thanks
    milann
    Our internet went down last term at school and was down all morning - myself and a work friend of a similar age to me had a little chuckle - some teachers just went to pieces whereas the more experienced ones who haven’t always relied on big whiteboards in the classroom just adapted. It was a real eye opener to see how some of the ‘super efficient’ high flyers crumpled without the t’internet - quite scary how reliant we are on technology.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jun 19, 4:57 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 27,316 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done for going to Pilates and I hope your cold is banished soon
    Car costs savings: 165
    Xmas savings 100
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 25th Jun 19, 7:22 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Evening HHD Hope you're not feeling too rough with your cold. Laughing at you only bumping into DS in the kitchen, it's similar here at the moment. DD manages to drag herself out of bed just gone noon, mooches around the kitchen for a bit eating whatever she can find then takes herself upstairs again. Our chatting time seems to be while she's waiting for the kettle to boil for another brew xx
    Originally posted by teafor2
    Thanks TF2 . Sometimes if I hear DS3 in the kitchen I go and make a cup of tea just so I get an excuse to chat to him . I still haven't found a home for all his belongings, maybe when the term ends I'll find time to do it!

Were you at my pilates class? I feel the same, and have to go to the 9am one tomorrow as I'm away for work for the rest of the week...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    My Pilates teacher is a sadist . I couldn't do a class two days in a row .

Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Perhaps it was all large organisations in the South West that had no internet yesterday . It is a bit concerning .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 25th Jun 19, 7:26 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    This is why the real (and more likely) apocalypse does not feature zombis, or even pandemics, but loss of electricity or internet. We'd all be totally scuppered !

Really really dark this morning - had to have hall light on to see Asda delivery !! I love hot weather but lights on during the day in June - unbelievable.

HH, hope you managed to crawl out of bed not too much the worse for Pilates, and that your cold is gradually abating. I
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Yes I really don't know how the world would work without the internet, electricity etc. It doesn't bear thinking about .

Our internet went down last term at school and was down all morning - myself and a work friend of a similar age to me had a little chuckle - some teachers just went to pieces whereas the more experienced ones who haven’t always relied on big whiteboards in the classroom just adapted. It was a real eye opener to see how some of the ‘super efficient’ high flyers crumpled without the t’internet - quite scary how reliant we are on technology.
    Originally posted by milann
    Teachers are certainly very reliant upon it . It was a bit flaky this morning too .
    Well done for going to Pilates and I hope your cold is banished soon
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA . I still did a lot of nose blowing at school which I hate doing as I feel like I'm spreading germs everywhere . But it would be worse to be off sick imo. It's lucky they have a box of tissues in every classroom.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 25th Jun 19, 7:38 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I slept really well last night because I was shattered after Pilates!

I enjoyed school this morning. I was helping in a different class which was interesting and it was warm and sunny . I hope I did a good job, I certainly did my best. I forgot to give myself a short break before my lunch time job so I had three minutes to cram a banana down my throat, have three sips from my flask and then run off to start my second job .

In fact it was so warm today that I gave myself a pedicure this afternoon so I can wear sandals tomorrow. Summer is finally here .

This afternoon I distributed my salary because it's payday today . I bought another £50 of premium bonds. I decided to delay putting £30 in the Christmas pot because I need to buy some summer slippers as my wool slippers are too hot in this weather . I transferred £100 into our joint account as we needed to order DH's birthday present online and do our Mr T order and we're running a little low on funds.

ALLOCATION OF SALARY
    £50 premium bonds
    £30 kept aside to buy summer slippers
    £100 towards DH's birthday & food

I hope everyone is having a good Tuesday. See I got the day right today .
    • jwil
    • By jwil 26th Jun 19, 12:39 PM
    • 10,778 Posts
    • 39,056 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy Payday for yesterday!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • milann
    • By milann 26th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 16,025 Thanks
    milann
    Hooray for payday - just wait until you get paid for your extra hours- that’ll be exciting
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 26th Jun 19, 7:03 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 15,370 Thanks
    teafor2
    Glad you enjoyed working with a different class. It's good to see how different teachers operate and classrooms work and I bet it's not long before you've officially got your own class.

Another payday already Any plans yet for the extra you'll be earning.

Will you spend the full £30 on slippers? I don't think I've ever paid more than £5 for a pair.

Hope the weather stays nice so you get to show off your tootsies Have a lovely evening. xx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 26th Jun 19, 7:40 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Payday for yesterday!
    Originally posted by jwil
    Thanks Jwil .

Hooray for payday - just wait until you get paid for your extra hours- that’ll be exciting
    Originally posted by milann
    Thanks Milann . I expect I'll get the overtime in July's pay .

Glad you enjoyed working with a different class. It's good to see how different teachers operate and classrooms work and I bet it's not long before you've officially got your own class.

Another payday already Any plans yet for the extra you'll be earning.

Will you spend the full £30 on slippers? I don't think I've ever paid more than £5 for a pair.

Hope the weather stays nice so you get to show off your tootsies Have a lovely evening. xx
    Originally posted by teafor2
    Thanks TF2 . It is really interesting to work in different classes . Having my own class would feel like a dream come true.

I need really comfortable footwear even in the house or I get sore aching feet, so last time I bought some slip on Clarks sandals to use as summer slippers. They lasted about six years before they disintegrated and were really comfortable and supported my arches. So I'd like to buy something similar .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 26th Jun 19, 7:44 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    A second TA was away today so I was asked to cover a different class than I expected. I really enjoyed it and the morning flew by . I had a five minute break and then was straight into my lunchtime job.

It was really hot today, 23 degrees which is too hot for me and very humid. I was glad I wore my sandals today. It's going to be even hotter tomorrow at 24 degrees and very sunny.

This afternoon I washed and dried some clothes in the garden and Mr T delivery arrived. I bought eight pints of milk before I came home from work, as we'd run out, and an ice cold coke to drink, so spends today were £3.10.

Happy Wednesday everyone .
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 26th Jun 19, 7:54 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 15,370 Thanks
    teafor2

I need really comfortable footwear even in the house or I get sore aching feet, so last time I bought some slip on Clarks sandals to use as summer slippers. They lasted about six years before they disintegrated and were really comfortable and supported my arches. So I'd like to buy something similar .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    You can't put a price on comfort, especially footwear. Mine might only be £5 but I buy a couple of pairs a year so over 6 years I'll spend twice as much as you xx
    • Broke Bear
    • By Broke Bear 26th Jun 19, 8:09 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    Broke Bear
    Hi HHoD

My Dad always used to say never scrimp on your shoes or your mattress because if you are not in one, you are in the other. It has always stuck with me. x
    If thou of fortune be bereft, and of thine earthly store hath left,Two loaves, Sell one and with the dole, buy hyacinths to feed the soul. 'Anon'

Day 1: Sept 1st 2018 - CC debt - £29,218.27 - 0% paid off
    Now: June 2019 - entering DMP Land and hoping the scenery is nicer than where I am coming from!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 26th Jun 19, 8:10 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That sounds like good advice Broke Bear .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Jun 19, 2:57 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 79,394 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I had a good day volunteering at school yesterday. The children were doing art all morning and it was just me supporting the teacher as the TA was still off sick, so I'm not sure how they'd have managed without me. Lunchtime was hot but enjoyable.

Today the TA was back so I felt less essential but I was still useful and really enjoyed being there. I feel like I'm getting to know the staff a lot better recently and bonding more with them . No mention of any more paid overtime sadly, but I'll live in hope.

It's DH's birthday today so I offered to miss volunteering but he wanted me to go as he knows how much I enjoy it. We're watching a film now and relaxing. Tonight we're going out for a meal just the two of us and it will be nice to have some couple time .

It's been an expensive month with DS1's, DH's and my dad's birthdays, as well as father's day. Not only that but we bought the freezer and collected DS3 from uni which was spendy on petrol, food and the night in the hotel. So money is a bit tight at the moment, but I said to DH we should still go out for his birthday meal as it's only once a year.

Hopefully next month will be a cheaper one as at least there are no birthdays and hopefully no new appliances needed!

I hope everyone is having a good Friday .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,275Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin