Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 10,009Posts
    • 79,689Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 12:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out 1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was 1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of 1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 129.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 50
Page 469
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 23rd May 19, 5:10 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well DS2 is off on his travels. We've prepared him as much as we can, so now we'll just trust his common sense to keep himself safe. He's quite an experienced traveller now which helps.

We went and voted together first thing, me, DH and DS2 (DS1 was still in the land of nod). Then I went to work and had a good time there .

After that we decided to do our Mr T shop in the store as we'd been so busy helping DS2 with travel related stuff that we hadn't had time to do our online order! We spent 69 on food (including a 5 off voucher), and 22 on storage boxes as I'm still detemined to carry on my de-cluttering mission over half term. So slightly over budget but then it's nine days since we last did our food shop so it could be a lot worse.

The house feels very quiet now as DS1 is out with friends and it's just me and DH at home, so it's peaceful but a slightly eerie silence that we're not used to .

I hope everyone has had a good Thursday .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 64,625 Posts
    • 289,027 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sure DS2 will enjoy his travels
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 23rd May 19, 7:11 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    He was in a very good mood before he went so I'm sure he will enjoy it Beanie .
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 23rd May 19, 8:45 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    teafor2
    Evening HHD Glad to hear DS got off OK. Where's he heading to first? Are you expecting to hear from him tonight or will it be a day or two before he gets in touch. xx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 23rd May 19, 8:51 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks TF2 . DS2 has arrived in Portugal where he'll be spending a few days. We always hear from him every day as he knows we'll worry if we don't, but also he understands that it's a safety precaution. He is actually quite sensible .
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 23rd May 19, 9:02 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    teafor2
    Great that you've already heard from him. I actually think they're all more sensible than we give them credit for. I'm convinced they act otherwise just so we do things for them xx
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 23rd May 19, 9:37 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Well DS2 is off on his travels. We've prepared him as much as we can, so now we'll just trust his common sense to keep himself safe. He's quite an experienced traveller now which helps.

We went and voted together first thing, me, DH and DS2 (DS1 was still in the land of nod). Then I went to work and had a good time there .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Both exciting and concerning in equal measure. No good telling you not to worry - you're a Mum, of course you'll worry, but at least he is pretty experienced by now. I hope that might mean you worry a little less.

More storage boxes augurs well for your continued de-cluttering. I have put 2 bags out for the charity collection this evening, in your honour !!!!

I wanted to vote, but I didn't want to (hobble) go and vote, so I chose, for the 1st time ever, to let myself off. Of course I SHOULD have sorted out a postal or proxy vote and it had just never occurred to me - mea culpa !

Both DD's, DSIL & DGS will be here over the coming weekend
    One night DD1 & DSIL are cooking, and the other we are ordering in from an Indian restaurant. So I don't have to cook the main meals.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 23rd May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 9,613 Thanks
    teapot2

I wanted to vote, but I didn't want to (hobble) go and vote, so I chose, for the 1st time ever, to let myself off. Of course I SHOULD have sorted out a postal or proxy vote and it had just never occurred to me - mea culpa !
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    I've got a postal vote because I found it really difficult to walk to the polling station due to arthritis. You can apply for them any time I think so no need to wait for an election to be called and I'm no psychic but I'm sure there could be more elections coming up soon
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd May 19, 9:59 PM
    • 64,625 Posts
    • 289,027 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, I just missed the cut off for the postal voting this time but have applied for going forward

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Noella
    • By Noella 24th May 19, 5:38 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Noella
    I feel really sorry for those of you with mobility issues especially after an active life. It must be really hard to cope but you all seem to be doing admirably

If/when the time comes that I'm unable to physically get to the polling station or if I was going to be away on holiday when an election is planned I'd apply for a postal vote, otherwise I'll keep on going in person. Whenever I've been a Polling Clerk (as this time) I've always been assigned a Polling Station that isn't the one I'm registered to vote at and as we have to be there by 6.30 to set things up I register for a Proxy vote. DH votes on my behalf as he too enjoys the actual voting in person process. What a couple of voting nerds we are. The actual process of going into the booth and placing a cross with the stubby pencils they provide is so satisfying somehow. So long as we carry on living in this house I have no excuse for not going as the polling station is in the village hall which is literally separated from our house by one bungalow. I always mean to measure the actual distance (I must be weird or something but I like to know things) but always forget.

Glad your son has safely arrived at his first destination, HH. As you say, you've taught him to be careful and he's very thoughtful by keeping in touch regularly. I know you'll miss him but try to relax now and let things take their own course until he returns. Enjoy your course and lunchtime job
    Last edited by Noella; 24-05-2019 at 8:59 AM.
    When it's raining, look for rainbows.
    When it's dark, look for stars.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th May 19, 7:37 AM
    • 64,625 Posts
    • 289,027 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Friday & happy holidays to come

***Keep plodding***
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 24th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning HHD Have a lovely day. No doubt your little ones will all be excited at the prospect of half term so lots of happy children today hopefully. xx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 2:50 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Great that you've already heard from him. I actually think they're all more sensible than we give them credit for. I'm convinced they act otherwise just so we do things for them xx
    Originally posted by teafor2
    Thanks TF2 . You may have something there .

Both exciting and concerning in equal measure. No good telling you not to worry - you're a Mum, of course you'll worry, but at least he is pretty experienced by now. I hope that might mean you worry a little less.

More storage boxes augurs well for your continued de-cluttering. I have put 2 bags out for the charity collection this evening, in your honour !!!!

Both DD's, DSIL & DGS will be here over the coming weekend
    One night DD1 & DSIL are cooking, and the other we are ordering in from an Indian restaurant. So I don't have to cook the main meals.
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Thanks Elizabeth . I'm glad you got some de-cluttering done . A postal vote would probably be a good idea for you next time around.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 2:52 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I feel really sorry for those of you with mobility issues especially after an active life. It must be really hard to cope but you all seem to be doing admirably

If/when the time comes that I'm unable to physically get to the polling station or if I was going to be away on holiday when an election is planned I'd apply for a postal vote, otherwise I'll keep on going in person. Whenever I've been a Polling Clerk (as this time) I've always been assigned a Polling Station that isn't the one I'm registered to vote at and as we have to be there by 6.30 to set things up I register for a Proxy vote. DH votes on my behalf as he too enjoys the actual voting in person process. What a couple of voting nerds we are. The actual process of going into the booth and placing a cross with the stubby pencils they provide is so satisfying somehow. So long as we carry on living in this house I have no excuse for not going as the polling station is in the village hall which is literally separated from our house by one bungalow. I always mean to measure the actual distance (I must be weird or something but I like to know things) but always forget.

Glad your son has safely arrived at his first destination, HH. As you say, you've taught him to be careful and he's very thoughtful by keeping in touch regularly. I know you'll miss him but try to relax now and let things take their own course until he returns. Enjoy your course and lunchtime job
    Originally posted by Noella
    Thank you Noella . I agree that voting is important.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Friday & happy holidays to come
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Morning HHD Have a lovely day. No doubt your little ones will all be excited at the prospect of half term so lots of happy children today hopefully. xx
    Originally posted by teafor2
    Thanks both of you .
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 24th May 19, 2:59 PM
    • 9,831 Posts
    • 62,340 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Glad DS2 arrived safely Xx
    Debts @ LBM 23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Lucky .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 4:12 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I had college this morning, so a fifth assignment to do now; hopefully the tutor will have marked numbers three and four by then . School went well and the children were excited about half term coming up .

It's been such a busy week that I felt a bit flat when I got home. But I do have plenty of plans for half term. I've got a LOT more de-cluttering to do, I want to pack away our winter clothes and wash and iron some summer ones, I want to make an early start on my fifth assignment, and we'd like a couple of days out at NT places ideally. Also some friends are going to be in our neck of the woods on Sunday so we're going to meet them for coffee. So I don't think I'll have time to get bored .

It's pay day tomorrow so I'm planning to buy 50 worth of premium bonds, put 30 in the Christmas account and put 100 in my EF.

I hope everyone is having a good Friday .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 64,625 Posts
    • 289,027 Thanks
    beanielou
    Definitely no time to get bored

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 10,009 Posts
    • 79,689 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Definitely no time to get bored
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Hopefully not Beanie, if fact how do I find time to go to work?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,432Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter