Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,601Posts
    • 19,249Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 10:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 6:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 848
    Balance 0% Car Loan to pay 940 finishes 1/1/2020
    Emergency fund 100/500 Car Fund savings 300
Page 3
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 18th Feb 17, 9:20 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    bobobski
    I love my slow cooker too (apparently it uses less energy than a light bulb!) but I'm so uninventive with it - you seem to know your way around yours SYA!

I am jealous of you two and your gardens - I can't wait until I am complaining about having to mow the grass and get rid of garden waste too

I cut tubes in half before chucking them out too - used to drive my (now ex-)boyfriend mad! I never understood throwing away good product. Does your DS do it too?

Well done for writing a meal plan. I used to do that when I was dieting the first time and it meant I never threw food away. You're very good for doing it now!
    Save 12k: 2019 #31 (2,947.79/4,500; 65.50%) | 2018 #8 (6,826.66; house bought) | 2017 #18 (12,078.82) | 2016 #86 (8,476.09)
    Personal savings: 2,620.00 | Joint emergency fund: 1,750.00 | New pet fund: 30.00 | Mortgage overpayments: 27.72
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Feb 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    He's getting better at moneysaving but rolls his eyes at some of my suggestions

He does now put water in the shower gel bottles to get the last bit out
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Feb 17, 6:36 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Busy day today and am knackered.

2 loads of washing done and line dried & bathroom cleaned

I popped round to see a friend for a cuppa and chat and had a walk round our local pond. It was quite warm in the sun.

I started spring cleaning my kitchen. Managed one side, cupboards & surfaces bleached and walls scrubbed. Yuck to all grease that accumulates even though I hardly fry anything !

Have made a list of what's in my fridge/freezer & store cupboard and have eaten from stores today. I've made some meal plans so hopefully will not need to buy much this week.

I have run out of laundry liquid but got mine & DS's work stuff washed so I will get some in Aldi on Monday on my way home from work. Will try and do some more kitchen cleaning tomorrow. Back is aching now so have taken some pills to ease that Think it will be an early night tonight
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 17, 8:53 PM
    • 14,009 Posts
    • 47,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You deserve a good rest. This spring cleaning malarkey is hard work! Really well done.
    Christmas Fund 168
    Reminder: summer is about making money
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Feb 17, 7:09 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks SW.. I had a good sleep but had to get up as my back is aching from laying down too long.

Plans for today
    - take a photo of spare wardrobe and put on gum tree
    - go for a walk
    - 4 more cupboards & cooker hood and 1 wall to spring clean in the kitchen

Now the wardrobe has gone from my spare room there is just a double bed and 2 solid pine bedside tables (e bay bargain 12 !) in there for when DP's come to stay. Its not a huge room - there is enough space to get either side of the bed and a larger gap at the end.

I was looking at mirrors the other day to put in there but they were a bit pricey. So I couldn't believe it yesterday when someone had put a mirror out in the street with a "take me" sign on it. Needless to say I took it (no pride no shame !! ) My home is full of pre-loved cleaned up / painted stuff. Will have to wait for DP's to visit and drill the wall to hang it.

I also have a pine bedside cabinet for my room, which I collected for free from someone local on gum tree. I am halfway through stripping the awful slapped on paint so I am going to do some more of that today.

Its damp and grey outside at the moment but hopefully it will brighten up later
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-02-2017 at 7:13 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Feb 17, 7:39 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Meal plan for today from stores

Breakfast - me sardines on toast DS - premade from freezer
    Lunch - chicken wraps
    Dinner - roast pork roast potatoes broccoli cheese & stuffing

Whilst I have the oven on for the roast pork I am going to make some carrot and apple muffins. I also found a recipe to use up some bacon, a tin of chickpeas and a carton of passata so I will cook that up too & freeze in portions - DS will eat it for breakfasts.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Feb 17, 8:17 AM
    • 14,009 Posts
    • 47,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You are a v good cook. I think pre loved is great. I learned this late and could kick myself when I realised how much I wasted when I moved in!!!!

Well done on sorting room for DP and take it easy doing kitchen. I am still recovering from mine.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Feb 17, 8:48 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    You are a v good cook.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe

I wish I was SW ! I can do some basics. These recipes are easy to follow

Bacon & chickpea casserole I found online - cut up bacon into chunks, put in casserole dish with tin chickpeas & passata, salt & pepper & pinch mixed dried herbs - cook for 30-40 minutes.

Carrot & Apple muffins - Makes 6 muffins

110g self raising flour (or plain flour plus 1 1/2 teasp baking powder)
    85g sugar or equivalent of artificial sweetener,
    1/2 teasp cinnamon,
    tiny pinch salt,
    75ml cooking oil,
    1 egg lightly beaten.
    1 apple, 1 large or 2 small carrots. If you haven't got any apples just put an extra carrot in. If you haven't any carrots put an extra apple in.

Preheat oven to 180c or equivalent
    Mix dry stuff in a bowl - flour sugar salt cinnamon
    add oil & egg & stir gently
    add apple & carrot & stir gently
    Spoon into muffin cases & bake for 25-35 minutes
    Leave in the tin to cool a little then take out of tin and scoff !!

I usually search online and some recipes also give you a breakdown of the calories & carb content especially if I search on diabetes uk. They have a recipe for banana muffins that I am going to try next time
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-02-2017 at 9:02 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Feb 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    3 cupboards cleaned, 2 to go & cooker hood. Phew its a slog today. May take longer than expected as I need to do some ironing too so I think I'll do the rest another day.

DS has just informed me that he's going out for dinner with his gf. This is good for the food budget

I've bunged the pork in the slow cooker - it will take 4-6 hours and I will have some for my tea with gravy and a microwave jacket potato & some broccoli cheese left from last night. The rest will be shredded (pulled pork) and used for lunches in the week.

I'll do the baking some time in the week when the oven is on for something else so no need for the oven on today.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Feb 17, 1:24 PM
    • 14,009 Posts
    • 47,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Brilliant work.

Now you should chill.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Feb 17, 4:21 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I slept for an hour yesterday afternoon then spent the rest of yesterday chilling.

Today I took porridge into work for breakfast. I was busy all day and didn't leave until late for my hairdressers so I didn't have time to go home for lunch. Instead I went through McD's drive - thru and had 6 chicken nuggets for 2.99.

2 free cups of tea at hairdressers. Hair is done and much better now, no grey so that's 40 well spent !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Feb 17, 4:25 PM
    • 14,009 Posts
    • 47,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am booking an appointment for later this week. You just reminded me. Well done on free tea. Going to check on my stew now. Yum. hugs, sw.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Feb 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    WOW its cold here today and blowing a gale brrrr !

I went shopping on the way home from work today and spent 33.33 in aldi and some of that was cleaning stuff including laundry liquid, washing up liquid, 9 toilet rolls and two bottles of bleach.

I then called into Morrisons which is nearby and got seduced by 2 Lloyd grossman sauces reduced to 1
    ... a thai green & a thai red curry for a change, and some baby corn to put with them. I use morrisons own brand hairspray 70p and hair mousse 1 so I picked up 3 of each and the total was 8.15.

updated shopping budget for February 232.14 / 300

That should be pretty much everything food-wise this month apart from some milk and salad stuff over the weekend, so I'm really pleased its so far under 300.

Also have 20 left in the petrol budget but will need to put 10 in before payday.

Out for lunch tomorrow with a friend so hope that will come in under 10

Am looking forward to the end of the month with money left in my account !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Feb 17, 5:30 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Blimey have just seen the forecast for storm Doris tomorrow - batten down the hatches everyone ! and stay safe
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Feb 17, 5:57 PM
    • 14,009 Posts
    • 47,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on bargains. I hope the storm isn't too bad.
    Christmas Fund 168
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 22nd Feb 17, 8:25 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    That's amazing finding a free mirror just when you were wanting one Skint yet again, well done!

Do you mind me asking what you do job wise? I'm just wondering why you hate it so much - is it the work or the people or the pay? I do get a bit bored and fed up sometimes with my job but it must be horrible to really hate your job.

I have spent a lot on food this month & can't seem to get anywhere reducing it but despite that I think I will also have some spare money left in our bank account this month although 2 days left until OH's pay day & 6 till mine. It's a lovely feeling isn't it, lol?
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Feb 17, 4:05 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I'm just wondering why you hate it so much - is it the work or the people or the pay
    Originally posted by Maiden Mum

Its all of the above lol. Some days I dread going in but its only 6 hours a day and pays my bills

Had a lovely lunch out with a friend today. We went to a local pub and had a coke each 2, meals were 2 for 8.49 and then a pot of tea 2.49 so came in under 10
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Feb 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Am very tired today so may snooze soon I woke at 3.30am and couldn't get back to sleep ...

-towels are out on the line, its a sun trap in my east facing garden in the afternoons so its quite warm out there

-heating is off

-Have had a walk round the local pond its nice in the sun but the wind is cold, took empty jars and bottles with me and dropped off at glass bank, called in at co-op 4 pints milk 1 salad 1 spinach 1
    total shopping spends Feb 235.14 / 300

-had to put 10 petrol in the car so that's 30/40 this month

Have cleaned 2 more kitchen cupboards
    I'm glad its Friday, no more work till Monday
    Hoping for 2 NSD over the weekend. Rain forecast for Saturday here but sunny sunday so might get out in the garden to do some tidying for an hour. The patio table has been picked up after Doris blew it over and its still in one piece thankfully.
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 24th Feb 17, 9:23 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    bobobski
    Well done for your spring cleaning SYA - sounds like you're doing a very thorough job. It's funny how your house "feels" cleaner when you've cleaned - even if you're just standing in the middle of the room and not touching anything, you can tell.

I'm with you on the pre-loved stuff - half my furniture is from freecycle although I've never found stuff on the street looking for a new owner - what a lucky find, well done!

It looks like you've done extremely well on your shopping budget which is very impressive. It's such a variable thing and they have all these tricks to seduce you into spending more so congrats for coming in so far under budget for the month.

Good for you going for walks around the pond even in the not-so-great weather this week. I think if it's windy you're just burning more calories fighting the wind

I hope your back is feeling better and that you sleep better tonight x
    Save 12k: 2019 #31 (2,947.79/4,500; 65.50%) | 2018 #8 (6,826.66; house bought) | 2017 #18 (12,078.82) | 2016 #86 (8,476.09)
    Personal savings: 2,620.00 | Joint emergency fund: 1,750.00 | New pet fund: 30.00 | Mortgage overpayments: 27.72
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Feb 17, 7:48 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 19,249 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks bobobski my back is much better

I saw an advert on TV for a bargain shopping site last night and spent over an hour putting stuff in my basket but then I asked myself if I really needed it all and was really good and didn't buy anything.

I then spent half an hour considering ordering in a pizza with a voucher code it was 16 but I decided to cook some hot and spicy chicken & oven chips from the freezer instead with sweet chilli & garlic sauce from stores.

Today I was up early as DS is working in London and I offered to take him in my car to the pick up point. I mixed up payday thinking it is Monday but its actually Tuesday so I popped into co-op as aldi wasn't open till 8am and I got mozzarella 1.16, almond milk on offer 1 & more salad 1 plus a pack of bacon 2.09 which hopefully should be it for this month

food spends Feb 240.39 / 300

A friend has invited me to go charity shopping with her today and as long as the weather stays dry I think I will go and take 10 out of food spends with me seeing as I didn't spend anything last night.

Have just had a bacon sarnie (instead of McD's drive thru breakfast which i really fancied) so am all set for the day
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-02-2017 at 7:51 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,569Posts Today

7,668Users online

Martin's Twitter