Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 March 2023 at 3:53AM
    I managed to get up and go into work today. Porridge for brekkie. Called off for some petrol on the way in as I've been running on fumes since last week :eek: but thankfully despite the orange light I did make it to the garage. I put £20 in so that should hopefully last 2 weeks. I resisted the smell of the on-site bakery and just got some cough sweets. They didn't have any sugar free ones so I tried not to eat too many :o

When I left work at lunch time the smell of mcD's was so enticing but I managed to resist ! I had bought some liver in aldi on Friday £1.11 for 507g so I pan fried about a third with onions and made some gravy granules and a jacket potato nuked in the microwave. Was lovely and probably cost less than £1. Also meant I didn't need to cook a meal tonight as DS can have a batch cooked freezer meal. My DP's get me oxo gravy granules in bulk with their book card :D

Heating has been off all day, just on this evening for 15 minutes to take the chill off whilst DS has a shower & gets ready for work. Thankfully I got free insulation whilst DS was at college and I was on tax credits so the house retains its heat quite well.

Car tax is due at the end of this month and will be about £140. I usually save over the year and pay off in one so I have the funds but I may look at direct debit - not sure if its more expensive.

Also need to get my hair done as I'm starting to look like a grey stripe badger ! I still have some Christmas money left from DP's so may use that - I usually pay £40 for a cut & colour.

Fairly pleased with my spends today. Managed to save a little too.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Well done on saving money. Gosh you will hate posting as we will all stalk you with money saving ways for savings.

OMG I have never paid £40 for a hair cut. What do you get done? my hair cut is a bob. My hairdresser visits my house and she is lovely. Ask all your friends who cuts their hair. Someone is bound to have a lovely cut from a reasonable priced hairdresser it is far better than going to a posh salon. Can you dye it yourself?

Sugar free Strepsils were on offer in asd* a few weeks ago? Do you know you can do a search on moneysupermarket for best prices in all supermarkets and stock up on them.

Have a good day.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Thanks for the tip about cough sweets savingwannabe. Where I get petrol it is only a small Tesco express so they didn't have any sugar free but I will get some for my "medicine" cupboard

£40 is cheap for a hair cut here unless you go to the college as a guinea pig. ;) I go to someone who works from home and that price includes cut, base colour, foils and blow dry. I usually manage to last 6-8 weeks between visits so £20 a month. I tried doing it at home myself but despite trying lots of colours I didn't really like the results. A posh salon here is £70+

All the rain we've had has washed my car. I can't physically manage to do it myself any more and I don't take it to the car wash :o ... It gets a wash and valet as part of the mot and service all included in my service plan. My last car was black and looked dirty all the time so this time I went for a metallic grey one - and they gave me paint protection treatment free as part of the deal so I don't buy any fancy car wash/polish treatments

Very tired today but managed to cook a roast earlier. Leftovers sliced up and put in the freezer. DS off to work in a minute then I think I will iron some trousers for work tomorrow and off to bed.

I have 6 pairs of work trousers, 4 black & 2 navy bought in Asda last year at £5 a pair. Usually one pair a day and then all bunged in a quick wash at the end of the week and a quick blast on the washing line they don't take long to dry. Most of my work tops are non-iron thankfully as I try not to do any ironing :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Car tax reminder arrived today and its only £110 not £140 so that's a bonus ! Its £115.50 - a 5% surcharge to pay by monthly direct debit so no incentive to do that, so I think I'll stick to paying annually and gain the interest and keep the extra £5.50.

Had some morrisons curry noodles for lunch (cost 3 for 50p not 3 for £1 that I said before - so even cheaper!) with leftover pork and veg and some soy sauce.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well done. I cooked a chicken curry it's the only one I can cook. It was really nice and will do me for another couple of days.
  • Day off work today and a visit to the Doc resulted in 4 lots of pills :( The only good thing about being diabetic is free prescriptions.

Spent most of the day sleeping, hopefully the antibiotics will kick in by tomorrow

Tried some chicken thighs tonight in a curry as have seen people raving about how cheap and yummy they are. They were ok but I prefer chicken breast and as the price is the same I think I'll stick with them.

aldi 700g frozen chicken breasts = £3.49 or 0.49p per 100g
    500g chicken thighs fresh = £2.49 or 0.49p per 100g

Sometimes we get chicken from muscle foods when they are doing meat offers but I think the meat in aldi is good for the money.

Living off savings diary
  • Have good rest you have earned it. I hope the pills work.

I eat chicken legs as they are cheaper.

The weather is quite chilly today. At least the days are getting brighter and summer is just round the corner.
  • Another day at home. At least its been a NSP/NPD.

The sun made an appearance first thing so I put some towels in the wash. By the time they had finished it had clouded over but I still put them out to blow on the line for a few hours. The heating came on at 4pm for 15 minutes so I finished them off on the radiators.

Found a cod fillet lurking in the freezer and had that with oven chips for lunch.

Had an email from the bank and I have earned £2.33 in rewards woo hoo .... its a start !

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 February 2017 at 1:27PM
    Blimey its cold this morning. DS stayed out at a friends last night so I'm still in bed with duvet and laptop keeping me warm. Will need to put the heating on when I get up.

Had a bacon roll for breakfast - it smelt lovely but I couldn't taste it :(hope antibiotics work soon. Will make some veg soup for lunch & we are having a roast chicken later which should have enough leftovers to last for a few meals / lunches

Aiming for another NSD/NPD today.

Have had to do some juggling with my finances this month as I forgot about my credit card bill £71.51 this month :o and the extra gas / electric as I switched provider so have a smallish bill from eon of £14.34 plus new amount at co-op of £65 a month.

I have realised its not only a council tax free month this month (money put in holidays account) but also water rates (waste water) free so will use the credit of £31.33, bills money of £100 and credit left in my account end of last month £49.53 = £180.86 to cover car tax £110 and credit card £71.51 = £181.51 = 0.65p to pay

The gas & elec total £77.51 & 0.65p from above = £78.16 which will be covered by the direct debit previous amount budgeted in SOA of £58 and the rent increase DS is now paying of £20 a month = £78 plus 0.16p from the £5 buffer left in the SOA.

I will have to update my SOA to increase the "board" money from DS and take into account the gas & elec now £65 a month from March.

At least I shouldn't need to dip into savings to pay off the bills this month

Petrol spent £20/40 money left £20
    Spending money left £27.56 roll on pay day !

Living off savings diary
  • Hi Skint Again. You do sound very aware and organised with your incomings and outgoings which is good. I am trying to become more like that! I am also going to make use of the fact that it is a council tax and also water rates free month to pay for my car tax at the end of this month although unfortunately that is £285 for the year as it a 16l Mondeo. I am really trying to save at the moment and wish that my own diary was on this forum instead of Mortgage Free wannabe where I put it but do not know how to change it over.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback