Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jadesarah1
    • By jadesarah1 11th Feb 15, 1:13 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 24Thanks
    jadesarah1
    How much do you earn and able to save a month?
    • 11th Feb 15, 1:13 PM
    How much do you earn and able to save a month? 11th Feb 15 at 1:13 PM
    Just Intrested in how much everyone is able to save a month after rent, bills etc. I'm currently able to save £400 a month after rent, bills and food. Some months it can be a struggle with unexpected bills. I earn about £1400 a month.
Page 3
    • beatrice1
    • By beatrice1 24th Nov 15, 4:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    beatrice1
    I live in Paris and I study in FIGS . I donít earn that much, maybe 1000 ish, and I canít save a cent lol. Thatís why Iím here.
    • iloveshopping93
    • By iloveshopping93 24th Nov 15, 4:58 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    iloveshopping93
    After tax, NI and pension, I take home approx £1000. I save £200 minimum a month, but some months I am lucky to save nearly double that.

CC: £2509

HOLIDAY FUND: £895/£2000 (44%)
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 8th Dec 15, 3:08 PM
    • 3,440 Posts
    • 15,141 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I earn £1532 a month and at the moment am not saving as I have a massive debt to get rid of!

When the debt is gone I would be able to save over £500 a month but the plan is actually to pay that into the mortgage as overpayments to try and get us a better deal when remortgaging.
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - £153.800.00
    • OVO
    • By OVO 10th Dec 15, 11:44 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    OVO
    Living with parents and earning 1900 a month and currently saving 500 a month,

Paying my parents £200 a month, my car £250 a month Phone is £40 and gym is £18

I really should be saving more looking at how much the above posters save and looking at that, need to give myself a kick up the ****
    • controversy
    • By controversy 26th Dec 15, 8:09 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    controversy
    I is a disabled person (scrounger) but I get £1275 a month and am able to save £900 a month.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 27th Dec 15, 12:58 AM
    • 10,961 Posts
    • 20,706 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Between OH and I, we get about 2500 a month. OH earns £390 after tax per week, and he gets DLA of about a hundred and sixty something quid every four weeks. I get £109 ESA every two weeks and £220 PIP every four.
    We've had a lot of work done to the house recently though which has cost a fair bit- probably approaching about a grand and there's still a lot of work to be done- we urgently need the bath ripping out as I'm unable to get in and out of it. OH has savings plans through his work but they come directly out of his wages so I don't know how much he saves. The work on the house has been paid for with OH's overdraft and a large electricity refund but yes savings would have made it easier. I have no savings and I always wish I had the willpower to save but I just haven't. We're not short between us- OH pays the bills and runs his car quite comfortably but I think we could probably do better.
    Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate; MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10/18, BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and DE100.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Our Civil Partnership is booked for 15/02/20
    Miss you always JV
    Elle
    • controversy
    • By controversy 27th Dec 15, 3:18 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    controversy
    Between OH and I, we get about 2500 a month. OH earns £390 after tax per week, and he gets DLA of about a hundred and sixty something quid every four weeks. I get £109 ESA every two weeks and £220 PIP every four.
    We've had a lot of work done to the house recently though which has cost a fair bit- probably approaching about a grand and there's still a lot of work to be done- we urgently need the bath ripping out as I'm unable to get in and out of it. OH has savings plans through his work but they come directly out of his wages so I don't know how much he saves. The work on the house has been paid for with OH's overdraft and a large electricity refund but yes savings would have made it easier. I have no savings and I always wish I had the willpower to save but I just haven't. We're not short between us- OH pays the bills and runs his car quite comfortably but I think we could probably do better.
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    When you have some spare time sit down with your partner and discuss ways to save in all areas of expenditure.

The first area you can make a big difference too is your grocery shop. Look into buying Smartprice Items from ASDA and then mix those with discount items from ALDI/LIDIL.
    Get all your vegetables from a wholesaler and look at every supermarket for meat prices.

The next area is travel. This area is complex. You should only be using motability if you intend to use a car which is extremly good on fuel economy like a Peugeot 208 1.6BlueHDI which has 94+ MPG.
    If not you should abandon the motability program and look for low mileage cars under the £1000 mark with 12 months MOT. There are a lot of good cars going at the moment including Corsas that can do 40+ mpg.

The 3rd area is utilities. Folk on MSE can tell you dozens of ways to save on energy, broadband, insurance etc. Its mainly a case of using cashback websites, collective buy campaigns ran by MSE and haggling on the phone by pitching 1 supplier against another supplier.

Last area is your home. If your renting the chances are you are paying more than you would on a mortgage. You could look into a shared ownership property that will allow you to buy more shares over time.

I'd really love to hear more about you and your partners needs. Would be nice to hear from another disabled money saver
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 27th Dec 15, 11:41 PM
    • 10,961 Posts
    • 20,706 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi controversy from another disabled money saver
    Thanks for your comments- I'll work through them one by one.
    Grocery shop- OH point blank refuses to even set foot in Aldi or Lidl. I love the fruit and veg from Aldi but as OH pays the shopping bills I have to go with what he wants. We shop weekly at Tesco as OH is paid weekly. We don't buy a lot of meat as I'm pescetarian, OH likes chicken but he just buys the cheaper ones. I prefer tinned veg which is quite cheap, OH will only eat branded stuff which is a bit infuriating when he moans about the size of the shopping bill but when I try to buy cheaper stuff he tells me off!
    We don't use Motability- we don't qualify as OH is on Low Rate Mobility DLA and I only get Daily Living Rate of PIP. OH drives a 12 reg Yaris, it's on 0% finance. We got it in April and OH says its good on the fuel economy- he has a two hour round trip to work and he fills up twice a week. His petrol costs are covered in full by his work as he was seconded and that payment is protected. He has a service plan so pays £130 a month including finance and service plan. He got one year's tax with the car and it was MOT'd in full by the dealership when he bought it. His mileage is so high we needed a newer car- we part ex'd our last car on 5 years old and it had done 100k miles from new. We got this car on 12k miles and it's already done about 40k. I have a National Concessionary Bus Pass and a Disabled Persons Railcard and both are very well used.

I know we're being hugely overcharged on the electricity and I need to do something about it. I routinely shop around on the car and home insurance as I used to work in the business and am keen to find the best deals. Car insurance was paid upfront last year with a couple hundred pounds saving on the previous policy. House insurance comes up soon so I'll check around. Broadband we're very limited as there's only about 4 companies that cover us here and we've tried all of them bar TalkTalk but the speeds they were offering are terrible which is no good for me. We're on a deal with Sky which my brother sorted as he works for them and I'm pretty happy with. Speeds are good and it's reliable. We don't have a landline and I'm in a 24 month mobile contract which suits me just fine and has been the same for nearly three years. OH has a packaged bank account with Barclays but he gets an interest free overdraft with it. Because he uses his overdraft heavily then the charges for this would exceed what he pays for the account so it's worth having. We've also got extended warranty cover with it which is well used. I have a bog standard account with Lloyds, I don't need any of the packaged stuff, I've got nothing that needs separate insurance- all my stuff is covered on the house insurance. I do travel a bit but because I'm a cancer patient I'm not eligible for the travel insurance.

Finally- the house is mortgaged with Alliance and Leicester. There's only about 4K left on it due to OH enormously overpaying earlier on in the mortgage so the repayment is only £76 per month. No idea what kind of mortgage it is or the interest rate but because it's so tiny there's no point moving it.

I have the Disabled Students Allowance for uni which pretty much covers all the stuff I need for uni although I still have to pay for books and stuff which can be pricey. I have to cover my own medical costs- I don't pay for prescriptions but I find things like dentist fees, opticians fees and my glasses, wigs and their maintainance, and the multitude of OTC stuff I need- things like my eye drops and spray for my dry eyes, heat packs and patches for my painful muscles, saline spray for my problematic sinuses and so on- all add up. The minor ailments scheme doesn't operate here so it ends up costing a fortune! OH has a pre-payment certificate for his meds.

I think that has covered everything
    Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate; MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10/18, BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and DE100.
    Miss you always JV
    Elle
    • controversy
    • By controversy 4th Jan 16, 7:16 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    controversy
    Hi controversy from another disabled money saver
    Thanks for your comments- I'll work through them one by one.
    Grocery shop- OH point blank refuses to even set foot in Aldi or Lidl. I love the fruit and veg from Aldi but as OH pays the shopping bills I have to go with what he wants. We shop weekly at Tesco as OH is paid weekly. We don't buy a lot of meat as I'm pescetarian, OH likes chicken but he just buys the cheaper ones. I prefer tinned veg which is quite cheap, OH will only eat branded stuff which is a bit infuriating when he moans about the size of the shopping bill but when I try to buy cheaper stuff he tells me off!
    We don't use Motability- we don't qualify as OH is on Low Rate Mobility DLA and I only get Daily Living Rate of PIP. OH drives a 12 reg Yaris, it's on 0% finance. We got it in April and OH says its good on the fuel economy- he has a two hour round trip to work and he fills up twice a week. His petrol costs are covered in full by his work as he was seconded and that payment is protected. He has a service plan so pays £130 a month including finance and service plan. He got one year's tax with the car and it was MOT'd in full by the dealership when he bought it. His mileage is so high we needed a newer car- we part ex'd our last car on 5 years old and it had done 100k miles from new. We got this car on 12k miles and it's already done about 40k. I have a National Concessionary Bus Pass and a Disabled Persons Railcard and both are very well used.

I know we're being hugely overcharged on the electricity and I need to do something about it. I routinely shop around on the car and home insurance as I used to work in the business and am keen to find the best deals. Car insurance was paid upfront last year with a couple hundred pounds saving on the previous policy. House insurance comes up soon so I'll check around. Broadband we're very limited as there's only about 4 companies that cover us here and we've tried all of them bar TalkTalk but the speeds they were offering are terrible which is no good for me. We're on a deal with Sky which my brother sorted as he works for them and I'm pretty happy with. Speeds are good and it's reliable. We don't have a landline and I'm in a 24 month mobile contract which suits me just fine and has been the same for nearly three years. OH has a packaged bank account with Barclays but he gets an interest free overdraft with it. Because he uses his overdraft heavily then the charges for this would exceed what he pays for the account so it's worth having. We've also got extended warranty cover with it which is well used. I have a bog standard account with Lloyds, I don't need any of the packaged stuff, I've got nothing that needs separate insurance- all my stuff is covered on the house insurance. I do travel a bit but because I'm a cancer patient I'm not eligible for the travel insurance.

Finally- the house is mortgaged with Alliance and Leicester. There's only about 4K left on it due to OH enormously overpaying earlier on in the mortgage so the repayment is only £76 per month. No idea what kind of mortgage it is or the interest rate but because it's so tiny there's no point moving it.

I have the Disabled Students Allowance for uni which pretty much covers all the stuff I need for uni although I still have to pay for books and stuff which can be pricey. I have to cover my own medical costs- I don't pay for prescriptions but I find things like dentist fees, opticians fees and my glasses, wigs and their maintainance, and the multitude of OTC stuff I need- things like my eye drops and spray for my dry eyes, heat packs and patches for my painful muscles, saline spray for my problematic sinuses and so on- all add up. The minor ailments scheme doesn't operate here so it ends up costing a fortune! OH has a pre-payment certificate for his meds.

I think that has covered everything
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Got a good idea for you. Get a couple Tesco Bags and take them to ALDI/LIDIL with you. Come home with your full Tesco Bags and say "I've just done some shopping and I've saved lots".

When it comes to packaging don't be afraid to take the labeling off old packets and put it on new packets of other brands. You have to ease your partner into it.

If you want to save on Fish & Chicken you can buy bulk quantities at JJFOODSERVICE. They have Cod, Haddock, Pollock, Salmon, Tilapia and Catfish.

However Chicken can be had for 3KG for £10 at ASDA & FARMFOODS.

Since your partner gets DLA low rate your partner will be eligible for 50% off road tax.

When it comes to Broadband and Home Insurance you want to go for a Broadband deal which either gives you a voucher of £100+ for Groceries or a vendor that has Home Insurance. You also need to make sure Quidco or Topcashback has a good cashback deal. You then take advantage of both and get super fast speed & anytime calls for the cost of a annual landline charge.

For example. I went with BT and I went for 38mb Fibre Broadband with Anytime Calls. The total cost including activation for 12 months came to £428.48. However I got £150 cashback from Quidco and a £125 Sainsburys Voucher from BT. This meant my Broadband and Anytime calls only costed me £153.48. Per month that is £12.79

Try and shop around for your glasses. Take the number information from the side of the glasses and use that to search cheap websites etc.

I hope your cancer treatment goes well. My Brother was in a similar case with chemotherapy.

I don't mean to offend you or try to make you adopt my belief system but I would say that the person known as Jesus Christ shared in our human trials and tribulations as he was tempted by the weaknesses of the human flesh. He overcame them and managed to set an example of righteousness which has lasted over 2000+ years.

I believe you can make a similar journey. It is within you but if you need some help along the way don't be afraid to ask.

I am a genuine Psychopath and when I asked God (Jesus Christ) for help & strength in some way or another I have managed to become less of a Psychopath and more of a human being in these last couple of years.

I wish you well and I hope you will be better soon.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 5th Jan 16, 12:31 AM
    • 10,961 Posts
    • 20,706 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi controversy
    Thanks for your post. Didn't offend me- I'm a practising Southern Irish Catholic and I attend church. My brother, like you, has psychopathy and he also has Adult ADHD so I do understand something of your condition.
    It's interesting what you say about the broadband. I have a feeling we're out of contract but we live rurally here and are a long way from the exchange so we tend to get poor deals. I don't believe as yet we are fibre enabled but I think it's coming soon. Home Insurance has just actually been renewed yesterday- we stayed with eSure as I shopped around and they were all much of a muchness compared to our renewal prices.
    My glasses were a pretty good deal, I got a backpayment when I was awarded PIP so I replaced them then. I used a website and got two pairs of Lipsy ones (usual price about £90-£100 for one pair) for £76 which I was happy with. They won't need replacing for a while now hopefully!
    Thank you for your well wishes, I wish you the same in return and God bless.
    Miss you always JV
    Elle
    • Enigma16
    • By Enigma16 7th Jan 16, 1:34 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Enigma16
    I earn just £16,000+ that's with overtime (about 340 a week). I want to start looking for another job short term because i want to save to start up a business and work for myself.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 8th Jan 16, 10:37 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    I gross over £30k a year, it's a bit variable as I do contracting work in my spare time, but probably will gross £34k this year.

I have no spare cash so savings are zero. My budget shows a spare amount of £2-300 monthly but there is always something unexpected that comes along to eat into that, car problems, dentists bills, home repairs etc.

Hopefully going to start doing more overtime for the day job to give me a bit of a cushion.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
    • guitarman001
    • By guitarman001 11th Jun 16, 8:57 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    guitarman001
    Would be better if folk said what they did as well - especially for those gigantic incomes!
    • guitarman001
    • By guitarman001 11th Jun 16, 9:05 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    guitarman001
    http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-your-job-title-and-how-much-do-you-earn/50/?PHPSESSID=pc5tdo7o20m72n0ao4p3vkge25

US but eye opening.
    In fact, seriously eye-watering!!
    Last edited by guitarman001; 11-06-2016 at 9:17 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Jun 16, 10:03 AM
    • 14,023 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am a teacher in my 40s but ill so I cant work full time. Salary is £27k I feel really poor £1555 a month after tax and deductions. My house is nice but it's a do-er upper and nearly done and I wish I could have glamorous hols but I forgo these so I can save about £300 a month.

I wish I was rich. Glad I am on this site. MMM is fab but too intense for me maybe that's why I am poor. lol.
    Christmas Fund £168
    Reminder: summer is about making money
    • nat21luv
    • By nat21luv 18th Jun 16, 11:36 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 27,398 Thanks
    nat21luv
    I earn around £2k a month and £900 is saved. I'm a single mum of two so if I can put money away, anyone can. I also earn a min of £1k per month tax free. I'm happy to answer any questions about it but obviously I can't post a link, could try via PM if you're interested.
    £12k in 2019 #=
    £30k by Jan 2020= £% £10 a day = £366.23 / £500

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
    • johnnyjoypads
    • By johnnyjoypads 26th Jun 16, 7:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    johnnyjoypads
    I earn just over 1400 quid a month after tax and other deductions. On a good month I can save at most £200 - £300, but sooner or later some extra expense crops up and wipes out most of my savings . Off to the garage in the morning to pick up my car and settle the bill for approx. £500.
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 26th Jun 16, 10:15 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Trina90
    My basic income is £1530 but have regular overtime which varies, so this month I earned £1800ish. OH earns £1470 and same job as me so overtime varies again. We save £500 together monthly at the moment but just started to increase this to £1000 so we'll see how we get on.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 27th Jun 16, 2:28 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 22,345 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I'm a hospitality manager and earn £1,200 a month after tax. Last 2 months I've managed to save roughly £300 a month, thanks you YNAB.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 27th Jun 16, 2:44 PM
    • 21,172 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    15K is enough to lead and maintain my family. Actually within this budget I can manage my family well.
    Originally posted by Manarul
    For Bangladesh that must be a high salary is it ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,414Users online

Martin's Twitter