Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:26 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power 28th Jan 13 at 3:26 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Scottish Power

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 9:26 AM.
Page 7
  • sparkymarcopolo
    I've just got off the phone to SP because I had the intention of switching from those very unhelpful people at nPower. Although courteous (aren't they when they want your money), the girl did not have the information required to enable me to make a decision.

She explained the fixed rate price, but then said SP were reducing their unit costs by 3.3% on Jan 31st so I ask her to recalculate based on that, she couldn't because she never had the figures.

I said it might be straight forward, take the per kw/h unit cost, minus the 3.3% and then use my annual usage figures to provide a monthly payment. Nope, couldn't do it.

So I'll wait......
    • barncopxx
    • By barncopxx 13th Jan 14, 6:54 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    barncopxx
    I cancelled Scottish Power in December to move to Co-operative Energy. NOT A WORD from SP all this time. Co-op Energy starts supplying me from today - I gets a text from SP this afternoon asking me to switch back to them with their latest offer!!!!!!!!!!! SP were a good company when I changed to them in 2007 but their service has absolutely nose dived in the last year or so and they are pants now.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 13th Jan 14, 8:16 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Did you save money moving to co op energy? Yes i agree,SP used to be very good on customer service.I really do not know what has gone wrong but they must be losing people in droves now.
    • barncopxx
    • By barncopxx 13th Jan 14, 9:14 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    barncopxx
    Yes when I applied to switch in December the saving per year from moving to Co-op Energy was £80 but that coupled with no exit fees and SP's diabolical customer service swung it for me. SP's new v3 tariff is £21 a year less that Co-op according to their figures but there's a £50 exit fee. I'm going to give Co-op a go, each time I've had contact with them during the switch they have been very helpful so we'll see. With no exit fees though I can switch again if I'm not happy! I believe that SP has brought in this new tariff in response to the droves of unhappy customers who are ditching them.
  • fed up hippie
    We got our refund back today, after numerous phone calls, emails etc etc, we first asked for it back last November!!!!!! to add insult they had put on letter with chq that is a goodwill gesture!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS MY HUBBIES MONEY NOT THEIRS so how could that be goodwill????
    • barncopxx
    • By barncopxx 14th Jan 14, 2:29 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    barncopxx
    Just had aonther text from SP saying that they are cheaper than British Gas and Eon in my area so why not switch back!!! You would have though they'd tried these tactics BEFORE I left!
    • staggered
    • By staggered 14th Jan 14, 4:12 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    staggered
    Same problem as many others.

I left Scottish Power ages ago. They still haven't produced a final bill, let alone send me the money they owe me (about £300-400).

I've complained loads of times but am being completely ignored.

I've threatened them with small claims court as I can't really see an alternative.

Avoid at all costs!
    • lauralouise90
    • By lauralouise90 15th Jan 14, 9:32 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    lauralouise90
    Use Twitter to Get A Response
    After trying to get hold of Scottish Power for over a week, I finally managed some contact through their Twitter page - so I'd suggest everyone tries there first.

If you call, you can guarantee you'll be on hold for 30 minutes with no certainty that someone will even answer.... the email form online has limited characters and boasts a 5 day response time... more like 9 days.

Scottish Power are without a doubt the worst company I have ever tried to get hold of.. yet they're quick enough to send my over priced bill out!
    • POLAR BILL
    • By POLAR BILL 15th Jan 14, 11:15 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    POLAR BILL
    After trying to get hold of Scottish Power for over a week, I finally managed some contact through their Twitter page - so I'd suggest everyone tries there first.

If you call, you can guarantee you'll be on hold for 30 minutes with no certainty that someone will even answer.... the email form online has limited characters and boasts a 5 day response time... more like 9 days.

Scottish Power are without a doubt the worst company I have ever tried to get hold of.. yet they're quick enough to send my over priced bill out!
    Originally posted by lauralouise90
    I was trying to find out if interest received is taken into account when applying for warm home discount. Filled in their on-line form, got a response in the 5 days with a phone number to call. When I called that number I was directed to another number. When I called it they couldn't help me and said I needed to contact Scottish Power. Where do I go from here? I don't know how to use twitter.
  • bendonagasaki
    I have been owed £64 since feb 2013 for boiler insurance refund.They have consistently said the refund will be returned in 6-8 weeks ,then no cheque appears.This has happened on 5 occasions.I have even been on twitter and they responded very quickly and said they would look into it but now they are not even replying any more.Absolute nightmare but I will not give up
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 22nd Jan 14, 4:53 PM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    We got our refund back today, after numerous phone calls, emails etc etc, we first asked for it back last November!!!!!! to add insult they had put on letter with chq that is a goodwill gesture!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS MY HUBBIES MONEY NOT THEIRS so how could that be goodwill????
    Originally posted by fed up hippie
    Just got the same letter with my cheque, 10 weeks and 4 days after our transfer completed. Goodwill my a*$e.

They encourage me to pay it into my bank account as soon as possible (like I'm not going to after waiting so long) to reduce the risk of fraud - they are the fraudsters IMHO.

Got my cashback for switching before my refund.
    Last edited by Dustykitten; 22-01-2014 at 5:00 PM.

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 25th Jan 14, 8:01 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    oldwiring
    I have been on Online fixed dual fuel April 2014 and have just noticed that throughout I have been charged at standard rate since January 2013. The result is they have overcharged me over £80!

I think there is a special email address. Anybody know it, or is the rep still around?
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 25th Jan 14, 8:16 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    social@scottishpower.com
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 25th Jan 14, 10:00 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    oldwiring
    thank you
    • swinster
    • By swinster 27th Jan 14, 6:16 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    swinster
    If Scotland Become indepandant?
    Will there be any impact on Scottish Power Customers in the UK if Scotland becomes independent? I belive they are registered in Glasgow.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 27th Jan 14, 9:18 PM
    • 16,298 Posts
    • 133,860 Thanks
    zagubov
    Will there be any impact on Scottish Power Customers in the UK if Scotland becomes independent? I belive they are registered in Glasgow.
    Originally posted by swinster
    Doubt it. It's Spanish-owned, E'on's based in Düsseldorf , the others are French (EDF), or German (npower). It's a totally international market really, and much of it's imported. Why do you expect it to make a difference?

British Gas is (I think) based in Berkshire if you're deperate to consume local power.
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 27th Jan 14, 10:03 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    oldwiring
    Cos are foreign owned, but the actual company is UK registered.I tend to assume that in the event of SI, a separate company would be registered in UK (Remainder) to do business outside Scotland.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 27th Jan 14, 10:14 PM
    • 16,298 Posts
    • 133,860 Thanks
    zagubov
    Cos are foreign owned, but the actual company is UK registered.I tend to assume that in the event of SI, a separate company would be registered in UK (Remainder) to do business outside Scotland.
    Originally posted by oldwiring
    Quite probably. Companies doing business across the British Isles also have a separate RoI address.
    • swinster
    • By swinster 28th Jan 14, 11:11 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    swinster
    Why do you expect it to make a difference?
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Just a query really. If they are operating under one set of laws and regulation, then a change may affect prices or service -possibly??
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 28th Jan 14, 11:31 AM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Just a query really. If they are operating under one set of laws and regulation, then a change may affect prices or service -possibly??
    Originally posted by swinster
    Iberdrola operate in a foreign country now, the United Kingdom. Yes they have a UK license in the name "Scottish Power"*; should devolution happen they will just have to have SP - England and Wales and SP - Scotland. All suppliers, including the 2 UK based big 6 BG and SSE will be similarly affected.

*(which could easily be Spanish Power - edf = Électricite de France etc.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,185Users online

Martin's Twitter