Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cw18
    • By cw18 1st Apr 11, 6:31 AM
    • 8,072Posts
    • 86,055Thanks
    cw18
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2
    • 1st Apr 11, 6:31 AM
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2 1st Apr 11 at 6:31 AM
    The following has been lifted from the first thread of the 2010 challenge - I felt that what Frugaldom (the originator of this challenge) had said covered everything I needed to cover as the current caretaker of the challenge

The following links will take you to all the previous challenge threads

Part 1 - January to March 2011

Introduction to 2010 Frugal Living Challenge
    Part 1 - January to March 2010
    Part 2 - April to June 2010

Part 1 - January to March 2009
    Part 2 - April to June 2009
    Part 3 - July to September 2009
    Part 4 - October to December 2009

Part 1 - January to March 2008
    Part 2 - April to June 2008
    Part 3 - July to September 2008
    Part 4 - October to December 2008

IMPORTANT
    Please respect others' lifestyles and beliefs. We are not here to judge, we are here to support. Thank you

The challenge is about living a frugal lifestyle - establishing your true cost of living, sticking to your budget, clearing any debts and making savings wherever and however you can to enable you to live the life you really want.

Frugal living isn't for everyone, but everyone is welcome to join us. Methods employed by our merry band of frugalers include batch cooking, stockpiling, preserving, foraging, mending, shopping in charity shops, reducing, reusing, recycling, Local Exchange Trading Schemes (LETS), Vegetable & fruit growing, allotments, keeping hens, using cashback sites and earning whatever it takes to become self sufficient in managing the cost of living without incurring debt. For some it is initially about clearing debt, for others it's about increasing savings, buying property, becoming stay at home mums or paying off the mortgage early. Some choose the lifestyle on ethical grounds. Above all, this is a fun and supportive way to manage your budget so you have control of your own cost of living. It's about NEEDS and not WANTS.

Living on a budget = living within our means.
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cashback sites but always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join Freecycle or other similar waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting for better discounts & shared postal costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Free scratchcards
    Matched betting
    Free online bingo
    eBid and eBay trading
    etc, etc, etc...

Monitoring and revising the budget is part of frugal living plan. Gifts & cards could all to be homemade, livestock needs to pay its own keep, anything else needs to be cash neutral.

HANDY LINKS
    (I am neither endorsing nor recommending any of the links provided here, members of our extended frugal community have simply found them to contain helpful information.)

Approved Food - amazing bargains if you don't mind short dates or past sell by – save a fortune whilst saving it from landfill!
    Bite Card - 20% off food at train stations (ideal for regular travellers)
    Budgetbrain - MSE's free to use budget analysis tool - BRILLIANT!
    Carrot recipes - loads of ways to use up those carrots
    CASHBACK - The official MSE list of sites offering the best cashback deals
    Complete (MSE) cooking collection - Loads and loads and loads of recipes
    Crafting for Christmas - homemade presents
    Eggs, eggs, eggs - Frugaldom's '100 things to do with eggs' list
    Electricity & Gas savings - monitor your electricity & gas with the MoneySaving Carbon Club
    Flannel Cake making - unusual gifts
    Food Bargains - Discounted food, short dated and past 'BBE' dates
    Foraging & Preserving - free foods, when, where, what to do with them
    Free crafts ideas - how to make papier mache banks etc
    Freecycle - don't bin it, rehome it
    Freegle - Originally Freecycle in UK
    Gift Baskets & Hampers - an index to the MSE relevant threads
    Gifts in a jar - you don't need a canner for these
    Greenfingered money saving - Gardening & growing your own food
    Grocery bargains - Supermarket price reduction times
    Hunger Site - Charity site where every click counts
    i-Measure - log your meter readings and try to reduce your carbon footprint
    Laundry Gloop and loads of other frugal cleaning related 'recipes'
    Leftovers - don't bin them, get creative, make another meal.
    LETS - Local Exchange Trading Schemes and alternative currencies within communities
    Martin's mad moneysaver ads - a surprising new addition to the site - advertising offers!
    Martin's current offers & discount codes - updated daily
    Menu Planning - hundreds of options and suggestions
    My FREE spreadsheet (aka the SoW / Spreadsheet of Wonder) - where to download from
    Nutrition and diet info, an excellent thread - thanks to Weezl74
    Old Style indexed collection - Indexed collection of links, hints and tips for anything old style, moneysaving and frugal.
    Preparing for winter the frugal way
    Recipes part 1 - thanks to Rosieben on the Grocery Challenge
    Recipes part 2 - thanks, again, to Rosieben
    Remoska discussion - everything you need to know about Remoska ovens
    Rural Moneysaving Hunt - official MSE discussion
    Selling on eBid - decluttering and recycling for cash with no listing fees
    Snowman Soup - always a favourite with frugallers during the festive season
    Soapnuts - The frugal, eco-friendly alternative to soap powder or detergents (free samples)
    Soapnuts thread on MSE - discuss, ask questions here
    Spending Diary - excellent free resource for recording your spends
    Start a cottage industry - the official MSE discussion
    Veg Planner - free printable vegetable planting guide/calendar from the RHS
    Weezl74's 50p per person per day eating healthily thread
    Weezl74's frugal recipe testing thread - Phase 1
    Will Power & Billy Can - part 1, part 2, part 3

The bits we need to include to make this work
    ====================================

Please read the MSE forum rules and help us to keep this challenge on track, thank you.
    If you have any questions about this challenge, feel free to PM me.
    The following is taken from the official MSE forum rules section:

KEEPING THREADS ON-TOPIC

Please try not to take threads off-topic. This can be confusing for new users and makes it especially difficult for people ... Where requests from Board Guides for threads to be brought back on track have not been followed off-topic posts may be removed. We encourage community, but not thread derailment.

Please bear in mind the main purpose of the site is to save money. The forum team has therefore been instructed to prioritise its time on the MoneySaving forums.

KEEPING TOPICS RELEVANT TO THE BOARD

There are two boards provided for off-topic chat and discussion. The MoneySavers Arms has been set up for fun, more lighter-hearted chat (although do still remember this is a family forum – keep it clean please). Discussion Time is for discussion of current issues (read Martin’s description).

If you post a topic that does not relate to the board it’s posted on it will be moved to a more relevant MoneySaving board or to Discussion Time/The MoneySavers Arms.
    ===================================

This challenge is about paying for needs so we can afford to live debt free and save for wants. It runs from 1st January to 31st December 2011. The links will give you an idea of how previous challenges have gone.
    Last edited by cw18; 02-04-2011 at 7:11 AM.
    Cheryl
Page 2
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 1st Apr 11, 3:59 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Hello everyone, what a nice shiny new thread, thanks Cheryl.

Have just found the SoW memory stick - I owe an apology to my cats, it was my fault! (Put it down somewhere really silly then put something on top of it).

Off to dig out the laptop so I can go and sit in a comfy seat and enter all of March's receipts - will let you know how I get on (prob in 2-3 hours time)!

Welcome to Heather and Winnie - you'll be addicted to the thread in no time!

Have signed up for a car bootie in a couple of weeks - any seasoned "booters" out there? Do you find it's better to label/price things or not? (Last time I didn't and it was really busy and just ended up plucking a figure off the top of my head - when people didn't haggle I knew I'd def let some things go way to cheaply). Thanks
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • mommyof4
    • By mommyof4 1st Apr 11, 4:24 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    mommyof4
    Hi everyone
    wow where did the first three months of 2011 go? scary how time is flying.
    Anyway, lost my way a little lately, due to unexpected bills etc, so hopefully this new thread will bring me back to frugalling properly.
    xx
    (vegetarian & vegan family: me, DH, DS11 & DS 7, 3 dogs and 3 cats (not veggie )
    Sealed pot challenge No 020
    challenge 5: [part 2] 426.09!!
    challenge 6: 272.14
    challenge 7: (target 500)
    Dont forget the birds - feed them your scraps
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 1st Apr 11, 4:26 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Quick SoW question
    Wading through my receipts .....

I bought some cat food from PAH in Feb (guaranteed that they would eat it, or your money back and ..... guess what)

Anyway, it was March when I finally took it back and they deducted the amount from the total of everything else I'd bought - how would you show this (delete entry in Feb or only show the amount charged on 2nd visit in March)?

Thanks
    • 23rdspiral
    • By 23rdspiral 1st Apr 11, 4:32 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 12,619 Thanks
    23rdspiral
    well done everyone for making it another month! i'm not quite up to looking at my SoW, but am so pleased to see people are saving where they can, and making adjustments where they need to.

... and i'm impatient and excited and now have a garden and want to get started tomorow!!
    Originally posted by 23rdspiral
    i did it! i got started! i didnt procrastonate or worry or get distracted!! there are now 5 pots of seeds (mint, corriander, chives, chilli, parsley) and one mini propagator of lettuice seeds all sitting on the kitchen window sill
    Thing is, i dont know where to put these spends down.. they aren't 'personal' so aren't 'Other', they are house but not T&C... maybe i need to add a new colum on regular? but then i dont know. humm.. what do you real gardener-types do please?

i went over to meet a mate who does up old stoves and it looks like it'll be reasonable to have the stove serviced and even moved forward out of the fireplace a little so i can get a kettle and cooking pan on top! now how money saving would that be... our heating cooking our dinner!

fishcake - i've a different 4 ingredient book and it's fab. let us know how you get on.

Cheryl - sorry hun but i've noticed a very small error in the 1st post, 2nd to last line - it says jan - dec 2010 ! easy oversight when cut and pasting, but thought i'd meniond it so newbies arent confused.

Hi everyone!
    I'm a newbie on here, but would like to join this thread, probably lurking and looking!

I'm 55 this year, and will be made redundant from my job in the library service. The redundancy package isn't bad, but not enough to live on, and at my age, finding employment might be a bit of a challenge. Therefore, I am taking the opportunity to change my lifestyle one step at a time, and that means living within my means!!

I've already seen some great ideas, thoughts and plans.

FFS56
    Originally posted by franticflyerSue56
    welcome to the board. i'm sorry to hear you're being made redundant. i'm gutted at how librarians are being treated, the have skills and the libraries are so important to communities. good luck with your challenge.
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • rictus123
    OOOH a shiney new thread! Lovely! Payday today...but will be going out for a few beers soon so get to relax..been a long week!! Almost finished at that site(35+ mile round trip....and moving to site thats 10 mile round trip so will save 's on petrol alone aswel as travel time! So much better for me. How much will i need for flights to Florida in May next year? Anyone know? And how much will i need for spends when im there? There for 2 weeks..think im more or less taking 2 empty suitcases and filling up with cheap clothes over there?

Got a large tin that iv been putting money in for spends...think there must be at least 100 in by now as throw in the odd note...hoping to fill it with at least 500 and getting it filled soon...il bank it but keep it to one side...

Really cant wait to get rid of my car!!! Drains money !

166.94 moved into savings...so now at 742.88...more to go in in just a fortnight At 37.14% of target for end of May and at 3.71% of target for June 2013...progress being made....
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 1st Apr 11, 5:19 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    1st quarter results!
    Well, that didn't take too long - there weren't actually that many receipts for March which was good!

Was going to post an extract but it now looks "wonky" as April's expenditure allowance has been added so ......

Fully spent for 2011
    Road tax
    Breakdown cover
    Car service
    However, all now done until 2012 and within budget allowed

Over budget
    Groceries - 53 (stupidly did a shop on 30th March!)
    Pets - 42 (had no idea what I spent before so guessing on this one)
    Fuel - 37 (again filled up on 30th March)

Under budget

Toiletries & Cleaning - 17
    Anything else - 48

Everything else on target / very slightly underspent (sometimes only 10p).

First time I've ever tried to break things down by "spend area" so some of my estimates may have been way off - it's really interesting how you spend more than you think in some areas and less in others.

I'm finding it quite fun and wish someone had made accounts more interesting many years ago and I'd prob never have got in the mess that I did .

I hope I'm a reformed character and can't see me ever going back to just buying stuff that I don't need again.
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 1st Apr 11, 6:01 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 28,818 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    First of all, a huge thank you to Cheryl for leading us to the Promised Land of Frugaldom, and a massive thanks for our new thread. You work so hard Cheryl, and are always so quick to welcome newcomers, and it's much appreciated.

Secondly, a big hallo and welcome to our newcomers - you'll find this a great thread, with really helpful people and enough frugal recipes and hints and tips to fill an encyclopaedia!

Oh what a great day I've had. I went out to lunch yesterday with a mate, and am out for dinner with a group of mates tonight, so thought I'd have a frugal day, meeting another friend in London, for a walk, and a Boots Meal Deal. We both have Freedom Passes, so our fares are free.

Anyway, we were moseying around Covent Garden, when who should we see but The Queen, Wills, Kate and 4 Corgis!!! Not the real ones of course, but an April Fools Day thing, but it was great fun! They had a mock wedding at St Pauls Church in Covent Garden, which is the actors' church, and apparently then drove along Piccadilly, and Hyde Park.

We were interviewed by ITV (wasn't shown, no doubt on the cutting room floor ), and when they asked what we thought about the real wedding, I said "I wish them well, and may they have a long and happy married life. They deserve it. Let's face it, the Royal Family haven't had much luck with long marriages lately"!!

We sat in the sun, enjoying our meal deal, and I had a great time for 3!! Will be spending a helluva lot more tonight, but meeting up with good friends is more important than another 20 in the bank! Anyway, they're all way younger than me, and I'm flattered to be asked, and hopeful that they'll visit me, should I ever be carted off to the knackers yard!!

Have a great weekend everyone, and a lovely Mothers Day to all our Mummies.

xx
    • cw18
    • By cw18 1st Apr 11, 6:30 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    I bought some cat food from PAH in Feb (guaranteed that they would eat it, or your money back and ..... guess what)

Anyway, it was March when I finally took it back and they deducted the amount from the total of everything else I'd bought - how would you show this (delete entry in Feb or only show the amount charged on 2nd visit in March)?
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    If I take something back (not on the same day) I generally enter a line with a negative spend - noting in the 'what' column that it was a refund for xyz bought on 1/2/3
    Cheryl
    • cw18
    • By cw18 1st Apr 11, 6:33 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    Cheryl - sorry hun but i've noticed a very small error in the 1st post, 2nd to last line - it says jan - dec 2010 ! easy oversight when cut and pasting, but thought i'd meniond it so newbies arent confused.
    Originally posted by 23rdspiral
    Many thanks for the eagle eyes - yes, I'd totally missed that one

But it's sorted now (on this thread anyway, will go and fix in part 1 in a minute!)
    Cheryl
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 1st Apr 11, 7:16 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    Living proof
    I would like to join please for April and because I have just defrosted my groaning freezer and uncluttered my food cupboards, I would like to aim for 50. So it's a joint store cupboard challenge as well. I work at home so have generally five or six NSD's each week whether I like it or not.
    • seriouslyfrugal
    • By seriouslyfrugal 1st Apr 11, 7:16 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 5,421 Thanks
    seriouslyfrugal
    Hi

Welcome to everyone new

where did the last three months go

for the first three months i was under budget ( in total ) as I spent less than I had in - so i'm very happy with where things are right now

hope everyone has a great weekend & mothers day
    Emma
  • dizzy lizzie
    A shiny new thread, yay

Hello to all our newly joined 'frugalistas'

Have decided to do a bit of a grocery challenge and decided on 70 a week for 5 adults and an ickle doggie.
    It was just for groceries but think I'll add sundries/toiletries to that too. Will update sig. everytime I have a spend on these.

Laura M65
    I sympathise with the chest infection. I'm prone to those too and they can be pretty scary when it feels tight. Hope it improves soon.

franticflyerSue56 sorry to hear of your job loss. It's the same at our local library, which is always very busy too. Hope it stays open, I love going there. On a positive note you'll get lots of support on here with masses of ideas and tips.
    Good luck on your new journey.

Spiral was it you I did the yo yo link for but it didn't work? They are also called 'suffolk puffs' and made of round material. Traditionally sewn together for making blankets. Was a bit naughty and ordered the extra large and jumbo size yo yo makers today. But who knows I might start a blanket project going.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Luv Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
    • redglass
    • By redglass 1st Apr 11, 7:35 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 8,839 Thanks
    redglass
    Welcome, Winnie in Pooh, Heather and Living proof

I daren't complete the SoW right now - will do it later tonight. Oh, well, on this thread we never forget tomorrow is another day
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• LolaLemon
    • By LolaLemon 1st Apr 11, 9:17 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    LolaLemon
    ok ive been 'thinking' frugally for over 3 months now, so im going to take the big bold steps into my true frugaldom life!
    for some reason i cant see the sow link but it is probably because im looking for it, so i will look again later.
    But i am going to update it religiously from now till end of year, and it will serve as my 'old' life - although it is not as bad as it used to be, but then from next year i have a real true fgure to be 'beating' - cause we all love a personal challenge

my car broke, garage fixed it for the "lovely" price of 300 - which my dad has paid for me just now and its a lovely price as its only cost of parts, no labour included cause its my uncles garage.

this weekend may not be gthe best to be working from, as its my sons birthday so been buying all the usual - big 'party' food shop - which consists of 'value' fish fingers - but i compair them with 'named' brands and they actually have more fish content, and less 'unwanted extras' so very good value i paid for 6 packs at 53p for 10. 1 for a big bag of oven chips. 2 bags of self raising flour, (50odd p each) icing sugar, 3 for 2 dozen fresh farm free range eggs, cocktail sausages, chicken dippers (they where the most expensive at 3 for 2 packs! so 6 for the sausages and chicken dippers)... some cold meats,,... 1 each for 3 extracts -almond, lemon n orange (all mine have been out of date for a looong time, im ok with using for personal use, but not wanting totake the risk with other kids/babies, alot with allergies etc, so really needed to replace) some coloured icing (cant get brown )
    as u can tell, most of teh party is going tobe homemade, by me tomorrow! cant wait till its all over on sunday and i can relax!
    for mothers day ive spent 8 on a top for my mum, son is going to make her a card whist im cooking tomorrow.
    My brother turns 18 on friday, he would like clothes from me, but his clothes are expensive! 50odd for a jumper, if im lucky!!!

Ill update and give amounts etc probably next week....

bummer! just rememebred ive STILL not done my census! need to do asap, cant afford the 1000 fine!

thanks cheryl for keeping on top of this... thanks to everyone else aswell, as this place is fantastic for people, tips, hints, advice and hugs.
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)

Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 1st Apr 11, 10:17 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Evening frunchkins!

It's a wild and windy evening in Edinburgh tonight -

I've had a bit of a spendy day as I went out for lunch with a friend, but as we only met up at the work canteen it cost less than 5!

I called the council today as my direct debit hadn't come out for my first council tax payment of 2011. It turns out that I set it up too late for this month, so they're going to amend the amount to 135 for nine months instead. Although it means I'll pay the same amount by next year, I'm going to be ahead on the budget, and am going to have 122 extra in my account this month I'm going to pop it into my savings account tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm off to do some overtime at work and then the supermarket to try and make sure the cupboards are nice and stocked for the rest of the month.

Hope everyone has had a good day
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • enjoyfinancialchallenges

I'm a bit like enjoyfinancialchallenges - prone to spending too much time on here - but you're all so interesting! Resolution for the month is to set my kitchen timer when I come on - can't decide how much time to allow myself though.
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    I'm pleased that I'm not alone in finding this thread addictive, from now on I shall try catching up daily, I think I will time myself for a while just to get a true picture of time needed.

because we're about to take a massive hit on our income
    I suspect I will be mostly lurking and stealing idea s to make our money go further, but is there a recommended starting point?

TIA
    Originally posted by Winnie in Pooh
    Welcome W in P, love the name by the way I think we all feel a bit that way at times. Guess what? you will have no need to steal ideas as they are all generously given on this thread. Whatever suits you just try it and see if it works for you. I cant remember if I've been on here two or three years but whatever it moves fast and there is always something of interest to read.....hence the reason I'm going to limit my time catching up.

Welcome to any others who have just joined us, I'm so looking forward to new ideas etc from you all.

My MEGA withdrawal from supermarket spending is over ......but ... can you believe it I went 90 days with only buying fresh fruit and veg's and using the contents of my larder and freezers....all three of them.. I cant imagine why but I've put on heaps of weight whilst doing this, I think its due to me not always having balanced meals.

Today I went to Mr T and spent loads, most of it was to buy ingredients as my car boot sales will start soon. I suppose about half was spaving although I did go a little mad probably because I'd run out of so much and needed to stock up again. Plus the fact that a lot of the contents of the shelves actually tried to leap into my trolley...cheek of it! Some I managed to fight off but not all unfortunately, well three months away from supermarket shopping is quite a time isn't it? There is so much stock in store as well.

I'm not sure how I shall manage to keep the car boot ingredients separate from my own expenses what with being unable to use the Sow. I shall try putting all those purchases in a separate book and deducting it from my income. I think it will be trial and error initially.
    My marmalade making is still going well despite having the driest skin on my hands ever I think due to to citrus juice. As well as selling outside I'm trying to build up a stock for my car boots and that also is doing well, full boxes are building up upstairs. People I did not even imagine would know I needed jars are appearing at my house so my fame is definitely spreading...no I haven't made it on the news yet.

Must go my bed is calling me....listen!
    Last edited by enjoyfinancialchallenges; 01-04-2011 at 11:36 PM.
    Keep to 400 a month on C/C.
  • keenan1
    Hi all,
    Im a bit of a dipper in and outer to the forum but have found myself dipping in to the frugal living challenge more and more
    I am living quite a frugal existance at the moment although I think theres always room for improvement....but where I hear myself ask?

So now I may be a little dim in asking but the SOW where can I find this marvel? I have searched high and low and it seems to be hiding from me

A few things I have done this year get rid of virgin v+ package which was 66 a month and bought 2 playtv gizmos for the playstation 3(one was a freebie which came with sons PS3 that he bought out of xmas money),they are like freeview boxes with a record facility(on to the PS3 hard drive),pause and rewind etc and cut my virgin down to 28.50 for M TV,M phone and 30mb internet with free upgrade from 20mb and a new superhub If you have a PS3 already I can highly recommend the Playtv,its great in all it cost me 35 from HMV 16 for a remote control,though you dont need this if you can work a PS3 controller (my son uses this for his) and my dad gave me a digi aerial sorted so a one of spend of 51 and a monthly saving of 37.50
    Also started using mysupermarket website,which is great now I can work out whats cheapest before I leave the house and I already have a list so no extra spends on treats If its not on the list its not getting in the trolley.
    Ooh and put my mobile on to the virgin 5 sim,100 mins,unlimited text and unlimited virgin to virgin mins,all my family are on virgin mobile so I can call them for nowt for as long as I like and I am making a saving of 3.50 a month woo hoo!
    I have just read through my post and I have realised I sound like a walking advert!!!
    Could you add me to the list please and point me in the direction of the super hiding SOW please and then I can really get stuck in

Edit-Thought I should mention,just incase anyone was interested in the playtv,the digital aerial is just one of those little aerials,you dont need the virgin tv I only have it as a free extra to my virgin package as 30mb BB is 28.50 a month anyway but for some reason virgin really want me to keep the phone and tv hence the free upgrade from 20mb to 30mb...odd really
    (I really do sound like an ad now,don't I!!!)
    Last edited by keenan1; 02-04-2011 at 7:05 AM. Reason: shocking spelling!!!! and a little extra info
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Apr 11, 7:08 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    So now I may be a little dim in asking but the SOW where can I find this marvel? I have searched high and low and it seems to be hiding from me
    Originally posted by keenan1
    It's in the first post - listed as 'My FREE Spreadsheet'
    I've also added it's nickname to the line as well now, so that others can find it more easily

And I've added you to the list - welcome aboard

Mush dash - due at DD's in 1.25 hours, and I've not even showered yet
    Was a tad late getting up due to being later to bed than planned (but I wanted to stay up for a phone call after someone left a night out with friends...)
    Last edited by cw18; 02-04-2011 at 7:14 AM.
    Cheryl
    • knithappens
    • By knithappens 2nd Apr 11, 7:15 AM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 9,558 Thanks
    knithappens
    1st quarter went very well, well within budget, however redundancy looming at work, so have taken voluntary severance, the payout will keep me ticking over for a few months, but i am using that time to become self employed, so my budget needs to be tightened even more, focusing on gettign rid of my cc debt so that I have less to worry about. So i need to be more furgal than ever. Sorry i dont post as much - but stress at work, and my kids keep me busy, I am still blogging though, so lots of updates on there
  • keenan1
    Hee hee! that's confirmed it then...My name is Keenan1 and I am a little dim!
    right off to do some magic on 'My FREE Spreadsheet' ahem!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,437Users online

Martin's Twitter