Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 1

Options

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    NualaBuala wrote: »
    Cheryl - well done on returning the PJs. I am so bad at not returning things that didn't cost much when they have faults. Need to get better at that. I just remembered I have a running log book I used about twice. I don't have any need of it now - if you have any use for it I'm happy to post it to you.
    Many thanks for the offer :) I doubt I'd use it though......

There's an application on F@cebook that lets you record runs (and swims, and bike rides, and walks and yoga sessions......) with date / time / weather conditions / surface type / surface conditions / companions / distance / time taken / bib number if a race etc., so I record them on there. It's about the only thing I actually use F@cebook for rolleyes2.gif

As for returning the PJs - I wouldn't have, had I not had to go into town for my specs. £4.10 on bus fare hardly makes it worth the effort for a £6 pair of PJs (and I could have cobbled a repair - just didn't see why I should have to ;))
    Cheryl
  • HowlinWolf
    Options
    midwinter thank you for the link, I've ordered some seeds
    Jayne love the picture of the chickens

Got some really great whoopsies today. 4 punntets of plums at 15 pence each. Two bags of stewing veg at 18 pence each some salad, rhubarb pies 28 pence, a ciabatta and a french stick 9 pence. Annoyingly though it cost over £3 for a bag of "value" hay for the guinea pigs. They were thrilled with the carrots and salad though but they are going to have to learn to share with the humans.
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheryl not sure what exactly you are looking for to go running in the snow but saw this on the Home Bargains thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=40476254&postcount=4854
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • cw18
    Options
    Ellidee wrote: »
    Cheryl not sure what exactly you are looking for to go running in the snow but saw this on the Home Bargains thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=40476254&postcount=4854
    Was offered those in two of the shops I visited, but not happy with the spikes only being under the ball of the foot. They'd be fine for walking, but when I run I come down on my heels and 'rock' onto my balls - so unless I slow down and always have one foot in contact with the road / path / pavement I reckon I'd still end up on my @rse :rotfl:
    Cheryl
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    JayneC wrote: »
    Lilylass I have a tiny yard and my chicks are ok, my lovely dad built me a big walk in run along my back fence (it does take up half the yard!!) and the hen house is made from a cut down shed. If you make sure any spilled food is cleared up and don't leave food about over night you shouldn't have a problem with rats/mice. Wild bird feed is just as likely to attract pests. I have my compost bin in the run as the chicks like scratching for bugs in there - yummy :D I'll try and post a piccy.

Thanks Jayne, that's reassured me somewhat (re pests). A piccy would be fab if you manage to post one. I'm lucky that 1/2 my garden is sort of hidden behind the garage (not that it's huge to start with!) and thought that would be a good bit easily sectioned off - have to keep the dog happy! Will get on the case with LA to see if I can keep them or not!

SandraScarlett thank you for the lovely post. I only hope I can keep it up!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Many thanks for the offer :) I doubt I'd use it though......

There's an application on F@cebook that lets you record runs (and swims, and bike rides, and walks and yoga sessions......) with date / time / weather conditions / surface type / surface conditions / companions / distance / time taken / bib number if a race etc., so I record them on there. It's about the only thing I actually use F@cebook for rolleyes2.gif

As for returning the PJs - I wouldn't have, had I not had to go into town for my specs. £4.10 on bus fare hardly makes it worth the effort for a £6 pair of PJs (and I could have cobbled a repair - just didn't see why I should have to ;))
    You're welcome - I never used it even when I was jogging regularly! Will add it to the charity shop box. Am keeping my running books though in the hope that some day I am able to get back into it. The FB app sounds good - even if I'm not a fan of FB itself!
    Crikey - your busfare is dear! I thought mine was bad at €3.50 per use of my 30 journey ticket. But for that €3.50 I get unlimited bus trips so I make good use of it to get my money's worth! :)
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Big hugs SF - have just read about your day from hell. I'm sure your ability to switch plans when hit by a technical glitch counts in your favour. Hope the car won't be too expensive to fix.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • cw18
    Options
    Crikey - your busfare is dear! I thought mine was bad at €3.50 per use of my 30 journey ticket. But for that €3.50 I get unlimited bus trips so I make good use of it to get my money's worth! :)
    That £4.10 takes me anywhere I want (on as many buses as it takes, as long as they're all run by the same operator) within Greater Manchester on the one day. It's more than that for a 'single' into the city centre (about 13 miles) - and the fares here are one heck of a lot cheaper that where I used to live / am looking at moving back too !!!
    Cheryl
  • Laushappy
    Options
    Evening everyone

Thank you midwinter for the free toms link :)

I've had a medium spend day today, withdraw £10 from the cashpoint and only have £1.00 left :o Needed some brown parcel wrap which cost me 1.99 from the post office, spent 20p on parking and then £7 in holland and barret on some licorice and evening primrose oil. They have an offer on at the moment whereby you buy any item and get the second half price.

I'm going to sit down with my husband tommorow evening and work out a more accurate budget for food, petrol, etc, i would use the electronic version Cheryl very kindly designed but for some reason i always prefer to write things down, although my husband prefers to work electronically so could be a disagreement on the horizon :p
    I need to do this as i have only been working things out roughly, and although my bank balance looks healthier for doing this, i know i will save more money if i work my budget out accurately and then hopefully stick to it :D

One thing i have been doing is saving money in a pot in my wardrobe, so far have put in a fiver and a tenner, the idea is that i secretely save a few hundred pounds over the year and then suprise my husband with the extra cash we have :T
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2011 at 8:35AM
    Options
    I'm still walking the house elf to school. I found £1.40 lying in the road this morning and the boy was star of the day in school again today. Thank you all for your company on this challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure