Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 41
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 6th Jan 11, 8:33 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    I'm looking for something to make to use them up, any suggestions? I've also got nearly a whole jar of cranberry sauce , that one has me stumped LOL.
    I've also got a jar of olives and a quite a lot of rosemary, any suggestions for them, I will use some for rosemary & garlic potatoes.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can freeze rosemary?

These last few days have really taken me back to my childhood, I can remember my granny in the kitchen teaching me how to cook and not waste anything. I'm the granny now LOL my wee darling GD is only 4 months old.
    I'm ashamed of the stuff thats been wasted from my kitchen, I vowed last year I would change my ways, I was waiting to join this years grocery challenge this month, so glad I have , I feel it has grounded me. Thank you so much everyone.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    I had a jar of olives left over as well, so for our new years eve party I made some pizza dough rolled it out flat, bashed up some garlic with sea salt and olive oil in to a paste, then i spread it over the dough then stuck the olives in the bread on top of the garlic mush i sprinkled it with thyme but Im sure you could use rosemary instead.

I am going to use the Delia marmalade recipe, will let you know how it goes!

in our local garden centre they were selling lemon and ginger curd, I just need to find a recipe as it sounded delish. how about lemon drizzle cake as well.

glad you like the planc, my OH says it looks like a weapon and he will be on best behaviour from now on
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 6th Jan 11, 8:37 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    Forgot to say my OH is looking at getting a sausage making machine, I can't wait it's one of a few things I buy ready made everything else I make from scratch. He has also been in touch with a goat farm to try and get some milk to make cheese he is really getting in to all this cooking stuff with me and we have made butter, soups, chutneys and pickles so far. He also made all the sweets for Christmas pressies as I was not well (peppermint creams, chocolate truffles and coconut ice) and they were enjoyed by everyone that received them.
    • goodlife wannabes
    • By goodlife wannabes 6th Jan 11, 8:56 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    goodlife wannabes
    Please can you put me down for 200 for Jan
    MAR GC /346
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your dinner 2017
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 6th Jan 11, 9:22 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    [QUOTE=XSpender;39954326]
    Not sure whatI will make for pud as I have no eggs to make a sponge pudding (DH favourite) and fancy something stodgy/comfort food. Have ice cream, chocolate, meringue nests, frozen rasps, flour, sugar, butter, milk, dried fruit. Might have to be a sundae type thing, not what I had in mind though. Any suggestions welcome
    QUOTE]

Hi, you could make an egg free sponge, filled with rasps and cover in chocolate and serve with ice cream to make it more scrummy

example below

Egg-free Lemon Sponge

Ingredients:
    • 200g self-raising flour
    • 2tsp baking powder
    • 75g caster sugar
    • 125g margarine
    • 150ml lemon juice
    • Zest of half a lemon
    • 175 ml cold water
    Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder, holding the sieve high over the bowl. Gently fold in the water, lemon juice and zest. Divide the mixture between two greased and lined sandwich cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and springy. Turn out of the tins and cool before sandwiching together.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Weight loss 3 stone
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 6th Jan 11, 9:23 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning everyone
    everyone seems to be doing really well
    need milk today so going to have to break my NSD since spending 4 on 2 Jan on medicine bits in poundland still 3 in a row is good for me
    Meal planning is my saviour!
    February grocery challenge 200
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 6th Jan 11, 9:24 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

Hello & Welcome to all newcomers

Am way behind with this thread, so behind I need to start from page 1! Lol

If I'm not too late MRSMCAWBER could you put Hippeechiq down for 250 please

I've no idea how I'm going to achieve this, as I was struggling to bring my budget in at 275, but with only 1 wage coming in, I need to skim 25 off my groceries if we are to be able to afford Chr*s*mas this year, and there's nothing else we can cut back on.

I can but try eh? My month runs from the 1st to the 31st inclusive.

Good Luck with this months challenge everyone
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Hi Hippechiq and happy new year good to see you on here
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • freedom2011
    • By freedom2011 6th Jan 11, 10:21 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    freedom2011
    Falle off the GC Wagon
    Just popping by to say I have fallen of the GC Wagon but hope you will forgive me as it was for 2 approved food orders that I have done for bulk order for staples for the year & one for pasta for the next couple of months from local supermarket as it was bogoff, will do all my receipts later to work out the damage I'm doing the frugal year challenge too so it made sense to stockpile now
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Jan 11, 10:26 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    i too am doing that challenge - was wondering if that would eventually affect this one!!
  • salski
    Yeah major fail! We went shopping late on - bought a few whoopsie butties for dinner today and ended up spending the remainder of this weeks budget! I got all stuff on my list as well as the whoopsies, and left with a fiver!

So Salski - this week 65/70 - major fail!
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS 750 now 0! Natwest CC - WAS 1600 now 100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 6th Jan 11, 10:44 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Haven't read the thread since yesterday, yet. It's a very fast moving one, but I love all the advice on here

We're actually off out today

I will be going to Poundland with my list. It comes to 12 now. Let's hope I can stick to it

I read on here about the offer on teabags in Tesco, so will be going to pick up a few boxes.

On a personal note, I have complained to the council [again] this morning about the loud music from the neighbour At least I am able to go out today, so we don't have to listen to it for too long.

Have a great day all. I will catch up when I get back
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • wssla00
    Morning all a NSD for me but LOADS to do in the house! My wonderful delivery for my birthday of an Emma Bridgewater mug and jug for flowers has arrived so they are now in the house on pride of place!

It's my OH's birthday today so will make him a cake. He won't be in till about nine so have LOADS of time to do it lol

Anyway I best be off. I have a mamouth amount of housework to do!
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • Equilibrium
    [QUOTE=kahunababy;39950764]

I have also started a Christmas book for 2011!!!! I have dedicated a page to each of my DS and started writing down some presents (the ones they get every year i.e PJ's, Sweets, Socks etc). I plan on buying these throughout the year and crossing them off as they are bought. QUOTE]

What a good idea, i think i might try giving that a go

[QUOTE=Sunflower1227;39955952]

Egg-free Lemon Sponge

Ingredients:
    • 200g self-raising flour
    • 2tsp baking powder
    • 75g caster sugar
    • 125g margarine
    • 150ml lemon juice
    • Zest of half a lemon
    • 175 ml cold water
    Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder, holding the sieve high over the bowl. Gently fold in the water, lemon juice and zest. Divide the mixture between two greased and lined sandwich cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and springy. Turn out of the tins and cool before sandwiching together.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    That sounds lovely !, I didnt know you could make sponges without eggs

Our small chest freezer arrived this morning weve got to leave it for 24 hrs to settle and freeze, but im already planning what to put in it ! .
    Also had our delivery from the organic box company Abel& Cole, they do some great boxes ( you dont have to have them every week , you decide when ) and means i can split the cost over a few weeks.

Heading to have my first look inside Liddle today
    GC spend Jan so far 165.68/ 160 FEB 189 /170
    MARCH 0/170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you
    • Trim my budget
    • By Trim my budget 6th Jan 11, 11:02 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Trim my budget
    Now I have sorted by sealed pot of money now need to sort my weight loss out too! Maybe the money I'm saving on the weight loss will go into my sealed pot! going to do a trip round aldi at lunch time to see if I can pick up a few bargains.... nothing in for tea, but found a few goodies in the kitchen cupboard and fridge in garage yesterday when sorting out so sure I can make something for very little!!
    Credit card debt 480- interest free until Aug 2014
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 6th Jan 11, 11:05 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 62,248 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    MrS - 28.12.
    Did go outside list, but only on 'special offer' stuff - now interleaved and in freezer (just as well I like sausages - didn't realise I still had some left)
    In theory that should do me the rest of the month apart from bread and milk.
    No - that will do me.

• elly2
    • By elly2 6th Jan 11, 11:28 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    Afternoon all, spent 26.00 so far, got what was needed and stocked up on some items, 6 loafs of bread 12 tins of beans(special offer from mr T) 4 tubs of marge (half price c*o*), 4 litres of milk. Oh and another box of bicuits (1.25) didnt need them have already got 4 but they will no doubt be used.
    Slow cooker has been used to make chicken curry 3 chick breasts fed myself 2 teen and 2 little ones and gave what was left to my mate (so a nice cheap filling meal ).
    Tonight we are having mac cheese (lots and lots of cheese to use up) with bacon threaded through it(bbe today)and garlic bread DD has gone to buy this as DS doesn't want baguettes (sp?), so cost of meal tonight will be 2 (already costed in spend)

• medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 6th Jan 11, 11:28 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    medsdemon
    Well back from the shops and stuck with my list only spent 2.42 at MrS and paid for MY DD's haircut at 19.50 so todays spend is 21.92. I really must be more organized and get all our hair cut at the same time and have her to do it at home - would save .

hopefully a NSD tomorrow as have plenty in to make meals with, might be left over Chilli with baked potatoes, depending who is in for food in the evening!!!

I'm not sure of anyone elses opinions on this but in regards to teabags we always buy MrS basics and they're the ones we like the most, nice and strong and only 28p a box. Slightly off topic with the rest of my post, but someone mentioned teabags on offer at the moment in Tesco's.
    Grocery challenge October: 228.28/250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : 291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : 0/240.00 NSD
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 6th Jan 11, 11:36 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hello all,

I'm going for 260.00 and will finish after shopping on 28th January

Total 13.75 so far

Co-op 3.43
    Co-op 24.91

Total 42.09

This isn't so good, too many bits and bobs, I'm slipping, in as much as I'm not buying enough for the week when I do the weekly shop, so its great that it seems low then, but I end up nipping to Co-op for bits.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 6th Jan 11, 11:43 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    I'm looking for something to make to use them up, any suggestions? I've also got nearly a whole jar of cranberry sauce , that one has me stumped LOL.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    I make a coating for roast gammon with a mixture of cranberry sauce, orange zest, orange juice and mustard. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

[QUOTE=Sunflower1227;39955952
    Hi, you could make an egg free sponge, filled with rasps and cover in chocolate and serve with ice cream to make it more scrummy
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I never knew you could make a sponge without eggs either. No lemons in the house but I will file it away for another day.

P.S. This is my first attempt at multi quoting - hope it works

ETA: Sort of worked, but the second quote didn't come out in the nice box like the first
    • kippers
    • By kippers 6th Jan 11, 11:49 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    Hi all...it takes longer everyday to read all the posts on here.

Today is a NSD i hope.

I have just finished making 24 rolls to freeze for pack lunches and a loaf of bread to slice and freeze ready for toast (i have had a bread maker for 10 years now and i wouldn't be without one). I have also made some cheese and courgette scones which i freeze and pop one in my DD's lunch box for her to have at breaktime (as she doesn't eat breakfast due to travel sickness on the school bus)...she loves these and i'd only got one left in the freezer. So it's been a big baking day today.

Tonight i'm going to try this recipe for tikka masala: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-tikka-masala

It's my new years resolution to make a 'nice' curry from scratch as i've always bought jars (hangs head in shame). I tried a different recipe on tues but it wasn't very nice but i have half a can of coconut milk left to use up so i'm going to use this instead of the cream and yoghurt, hope it works ok this time....if it doesn't work i better wait another week before trying again or my family will be 'curried out' lol

Anyway, 18 days until my grocery challenge ends for January...i must be careful
    • groatie queen
    • By groatie queen 6th Jan 11, 12:24 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 6,911 Thanks
    groatie queen
    Top-up spend of 3.90:

YS ckicken breasts
    YS net of wax free lemons
    Bag of mandarins
    sm carton milk

Had my hair cut for 15 plus 2 tip. New hairdresser and a great cut, half the price of my previous hairdresser and is local so no petrol expenses (previously round trip of 15 miles), so that is a good saving going forward .

Hair cut comes out of Dec budget thanks to not getting there due to the snow!

Cumulative total now 13.69/60

If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.

-- Brendan Francis

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin