Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    weezl74
    weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats!
    • 29th Oct 10, 7:27 AM
    weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats! 29th Oct 10 at 7:27 AM
    Hi all,

This thread is for people who would like to test our Christmas meals. Any friends of the project who would like to do this are more than welcome.

Aless is following with more info

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for 40
Page 3
  • weezl74
    oh allegra! so sorry you have been poorly! I hope you feel better soon.

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
  • weezl74
    NOTE TO ANYONE DOING THE BIG MEAL TOMORROW:

the timings guide assumes you have prepared the christmas pudding today it is possible to do it tomorrow, but for lunch-time serve up, you will have your work cut out!

• weezl74

My yorky didn't rise which was a bit gutting, I think it was because my batter was still cold from the fridged wet ingredients. I made it while the onions etc were in the oven not before as the method stated
    Originally posted by Sami_Bee

sami, what shall I put on the recipe about this? shall I put in brackets (at room temp) or sommat?

• Boodle
    Great pics Allegra - hope you feel better soon x

I nearly took a photo of our casserole last night but it looked so nice that I couldn't wait to hunt around for the camera and scoffed it right away :P

Been readjusting the shopping list, so replacing the Cauldron sausages with the Asda meat-free sausage mix (no ingredients online so when I am next at Asda will check its definitely suitable), the brazils with 99p pack of pumpkin seeds and the dates with 70p pack of smart price fruit and nut mix. Also reducing the oat milk to 2 cartons and seeing how that goes That reduces the total to 24.69 I think.

The sausage mix will mean I can shape smaller sausages therefore getting enough for the sausage casserole, the sausage and potato salad, save a little for the Xmas dinner + maybe wee uns to have with French Toast breakfast (which is looking like will be with fried mushrooms and ketchup here ) This should be do-able by adding oats or breadcrumbs to the mix to bulk it out if necessary too.

So last night, I used the CFR Toad recipe to create a casserole: cooked 3 sausages + the onion wedges as the recipe instructed. Made up 1/2 of the gravy. Sausage was sliced up and added to the gravy with the onion. Served with the wedges and sprouts it was plenty and delicious. However I realised too late that I could have used the Toad's flour element and made scones to my usual recipe which would have been lovely with the casserole: Scone recipe being 200g self raising flour with pinch of salt and ground pepper (herbs added sometimes), rub in 50g spread (or stir in about 4 tbsp oil) then stir in 100ml oat milk... shape into scones, place on lined baking tray and bake for 15 mins at 200C.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • domesticgoddess789
    The chocolate brownies are amazing!!! Made a half batch last night (but used 2 eggs) and they came out lovely. Will definitely make them again. We cut the half batch into 9 pieces cus we are greedy here They went down really well with my sister and her OH too.

Just having some leftover roast onion houmous on toast for lunch, it's lovely. Can't decide now which houmous is my favourite cus they are all so nice!

Hope everyone is enjoying the new recipes.
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= 105.89
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0

• Lesley Gaye
    oof allegra, if you are having the same virus I had recently, and many people are saying that they know someone knocked off their feet for 10 days or so, I can only stand back in admiration at your ability to cook anything at all

I was unable even to muster enough energy to keep myself clean for 4 days. At the end of it, even my eye lids were greasy and it was such a relief to be able to stand upright for long enough to have a shower

good luck with mockmass, think you might need it, and well done for even trying it, I know I wouldn't have
  • Boodle
    I made plain hummus today for lunch, and we all had it in sandwiches instead of on toast. Very nice. Baby didn't really touch it but she wasn't really hungry bless her. Me and OH enjoyed tho

Have steamed the Xmas Pud and seems to have worked nicely replacing the egg with 50ml veg oil. The only problem was that I cooked the sugar too hard while I was tidying the kitchen and almost ended up with boiled sweets Luckily I salvaged it by stirring some of the soaking juice into the pan rather than hot into cold, then poured he sugar mix into the batter. Just means my pud is a bit paler than it should be as the sugar had boiled before it dissolved and caramelised. Smells nice but think I was too frugal with the mixed spice.
    Love and compassion to all x
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 30th Oct 10, 3:02 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    sami, what shall I put on the recipe about this? shall I put in brackets (at room temp) or sommat?[/FONT]
    Originally posted by weezl74
    yeah, I just thought really hard and could think of any other way

I'm still annoyed with myself, I used to pride myself on my yorkies!

Get well soon allegra!
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    I think Sami is right, as always!
    Originally posted by 3onitsway
  • artybear
    Hello,

I went shopping this afternoon (spent a bit more than I thought but hey ho...I got pretty boots lol)

However I was flicking through a vegetarian magazine and they had a similar planner to ours for Christmas and it was 4 per person per meal!!! And this was advertised as cheap!!! The recipes did look lovely but nothing amazing, I think their problem was mainly using unique ingredients for each meal and things such as ready rolled puff pastry (which is easy to use but does push the cost up).

Just thought I'd say as it shows just how cheaper CFR is!!!!

xxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Allegra
    oof allegra, if you are having the same virus I had recently, and many people are saying that they know someone knocked off their feet for 10 days or so, I can only stand back in admiration at your ability to cook anything at all

I was unable even to muster enough energy to keep myself clean for 4 days. At the end of it, even my eye lids were greasy and it was such a relief to be able to stand upright for long enough to have a shower

good luck with mockmass, think you might need it, and well done for even trying it, I know I wouldn't have
    Originally posted by Lesley Gaye
    I am made of sterner stuff Actually, tbf, it probably isn't the same virus - !!!! had it worst and he was only off his feet a couple of days; DD next, and she was in bed all day yesterday but is pretty much okay today; I am feeling a bit weak and slow, but am coping ok, taking one thing at a time and resting in between

So far today, DD and I went to the shops and bought some more tacky Halloween junk in preparation of her sleepover; made the cupcakes and decorated the house in full Halloween regalia; then I whipped up the brownies while she went off to finalise her Christmas list (been prodding her gently to get that done throughout the last week, but it takes a while for her mind to switch from one track to another !), and then we spent some time messing about with the buttercream icing, sticking chocolate buttons and silver balls on to make eyes, and cutting Mikado chocolate sticks in half and glueing them together with melted chocolate to make spider legs (not very CFR I'm afraid !). We both have our doubts about the effectiveness of it, but hey, we could be pleasantly surprised, you never know

And big thanks for all the get well wishes

Oh, and we had the french onion soup for lunch today - very nice, but we were both surprised by how sweet it was - is it meant to be so or did I miscalculate the sugar when reducing the size of the batch or something equally silly ?
  • VenusFlytrap
    Hello everyone

Just had the Toad in the Hole for my tea and it was delicious! Never made it myself before but it worked great, even though I beat the mixture by hand rather than using an electric whisk... didn't remember the whisk attachment on my new blender until after I'd put the Toad in the oven, d'oh!

Nevertheless, it rose beautifully, was a lovely golden colour on top and tasted gorgeous! Plus it was v easy to make and as sausages are quite popular in this household, think it will become a regular feature and not just a Xmas special!

Am looking forward to my Mockmas chicken dinner tomorrow, am I the only meat eater not doing pork? Also will just be making a mini version of the Xmas pud as am the only one here who likes it, so gonna make it tomorrow, don't think I'll be pushed for time so not too worried.

Can't wait to see how everyone else gets on tomorrow - and must sort out my camera so can post pics!

Venus xxx
  • Allegra
    Well, I have pretty much reached my limit today, and although the pizza dough remains unmade, the cheese ungrated, and the yule log did not get a look-in, I am really quite pleased with what we managed to achieve today - still a bit sad that my lon-planned testing of the Christmas week had to be truncated, but I am still in with a chance of at least testing each recipe once, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, at any rate

In the meantime, here are some of the fruits of my efforts:

Halloween Decs

DD making spider cupcakes:

The finished spider cupcakes:

And the brownies:

Regarding the brownies - I am not much of a dark chocolate lover, and will always go for milk first, but here the dark wins hands down - this version is sooooo much nicer than the half milk one I tried first, and that was nice enough as it was

Off to make salmon pasta in a mo, bon appetit to all who are joining in with it tonight
  • Allegra
    And salmon pasta piccies now:

The sauce, cooking:

Dish served up:

I found it, once again, hard to finish, but really nice to eat (and I don't even like fish ) - !!!! thought it was too creamy. We're not used to posh food like that anymore, see....
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 30th Oct 10, 7:20 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 10,986 Thanks
    shanks77
    Hi folks well the pasta went down well here again. We have tried it before and enjoyed it then as well. I needed to use more liquid than specified but that was not a big deal. Also same as last time we put in a splash of lemon juice which we both felt lifted the dish a bit and made it not so rich so might be worth trying if you find it too creamy. We didnt have the bread with it either as a) there wasnt enought sauce and b) though we are both big eaters there is no way we could have eaten bread with that size of portion. Very yummy though and quick and easy to do. Looking forward to the meal tomorrow not looking forward to all the prep. Will be interested to hear how the rest of you get on.
    Allegra those cakes looked really good might be round to trick or treat you myself. If I leave now should make it on time lol
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 30th Oct 10, 8:46 PM
    • 5,698 Posts
    • 73,973 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    Hello Weezl and all. Apologies that I am not around so much these days, but am still following you avidly, and delighted to see a new thread.
    I made the brownies again today - purely in the interests of research of course! This time I used the reduced sugar/increased flour combination and we found the level of sweetness much more to our liking. I also used Sainsbury's basics chocolate this time around, and am pleased to report that it works just as well.
    Brilliant tip about cutting the sausages for the toad in the hole - I'm going to give that a try next week.
    Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly Allegra. Hope you're on the mend now. Have a suitably spooky hallowe'en - your decs and treats look fab
    Last edited by hornetgirl; 30-10-2010 at 8:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 30th Oct 10, 10:05 PM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    and two young girls (currently ill with chicken pox! :O
    Originally posted by Boodle
    I know its not CFR related .... I had chicken pox a few years back. It was one of the most painful things I have ever endured
    Many nights I had to have a cool bath, at ridiculous times, to ease the pain.
    Something that helps, is putting a good cupful of oats into a sock, or the feet of a pair of tights, tied to secure, and let it hang under the warm/cool running water of a bath.
    I dont know how the oaty bath works to relieve your skin, but it really does help

Allegra.. the spider cakes look fantastic.
    Hope you are feeling better soon... not 100% myself today...same sicky feeling

Good Luck to all the testers
    I may follow you all this week, if I get a chance, in amoungst the decorating
  • MadDogWoman
    Potty,

When my DD had chickenpox last year she had a nightly oat bath, she was that comfy she didn't want to get out, was coated head to foot in aloe vera, sprayed her collodial silver, she has very little scaring, I did also give her regular doses of Calpol when it was at its worst.

I'm not joining in the Mockmas tomorrow, out at a party and I'm currently in the middle of baking 300 biscuits. I've bought a beef brisket to go in my slow cooker for tea tomorrow.

The Toad in the Hole is very popular in the MDW house as are the brownies.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DD Katie born April 2007!
    3 years 9 months and proud of it
    dreams do come true (eventually!)

• weezl74
    good morning, I think I'm the only one aiming for the pork to be served at lunchtime? So I won't be particularly good company for anyone.

But an update none-the -less. Ok so we got up, ready to put the slocooker on with the pork in at 8, I have also put the apple juice for the pork gravy into the SC to absorb the lovely meaty juices.

Last night I made the sponge base for the roulade and a buttercream filling, explanation of this deviation to follow....

So, I haven't done the printing out yet but i FINK I'm now behind-hand by maybe an hour on my timings according to the timings guide. However I have a lovely sous-chef, and forgiving guests so I remain hopefull for a sprint finish Just going to make the mushroom soup

See ya in a bit.

Oh tip one for shirl, do not attempt to entertain your toddler with the licking of chocolatey spoons.

Especially if you have white walls.

That is all.

xxx

• weezl74
    ok mushroom soup on now. Smells gorgeous

Potatoes being prepped now. I am doing more than stated as we have 4 adults and 2 littlies.

• weezl74
    it's to be hoped Bob is a swifter sous-chef than my lovely DH.

Am firing out orders in manner of Marco Pierre-white. However his knife skills are not so quick and the retort of 'YES CHEF' not forthcoming....

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

950Posts Today

5,884Users online

Martin's Twitter