Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    weezl74
    weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats!
    • 29th Oct 10, 7:27 AM
    weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats! 29th Oct 10 at 7:27 AM
    Hi all,

This thread is for people who would like to test our Christmas meals. Any friends of the project who would like to do this are more than welcome.

Aless is following with more info

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for 40
Page 2
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 29th Oct 10, 12:38 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    sami I cook from frozen, in the oven.

What kinda bangers have you got?
    Originally posted by weezl74
    They're Riversway ones from costco (apparently the costco ones higher a higer % meat than the tesco ones)

I can sub the evap milk for 150ml normal milk can't it?
    Last edited by Sami_Bee; 29-10-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    I think Sami is right, as always!
    Originally posted by 3onitsway
  • weezl74

I can sub the evap milk for 150ml normal milk can't it?
    Originally posted by Sami_Bee
    yep absolutely sami

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
  • Boodle
    Verdict: French Onion Soup was delish - even more so with the tomato swirls broken up in it

The recipe for those was:
    200g plain flour
    75ml vegetable oil
    50ml water
    Pinch of salt and white pepper
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    Sprinkling of garlic powder
    Sprinkling of mixed dried herbs (I used oregano, thyme and sage)

Stir salt and pepper into the flour then mix in the water and oil to make a sticky-ish dough. Roll out then spread with tomato puree and sprinkle with garlic and herbs. Roll up like a swiss roll and cut into 1cm pieces with a sharp knife. Bake for 12 minutes at 180C.
    Love and compassion to all x
    • Apricot
    • By Apricot 29th Oct 10, 2:12 PM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    Apricot
    Has anyone ever made waffles in a sandwich toastie maker? I don't have a waffle iron and the handle has come off my griddle pan, I was thinking if I make them in an ordinairy frying pan they are just going to be like pancakes?
    DD July 2011

Aug 13 4235.19 2550.00
  • weezl74
    Has anyone ever made waffles in a sandwich toastie maker? I don't have a waffle iron and the handle has come off my griddle pan, I was thinking if I make them in an ordinairy frying pan they are just going to be like pancakes?
    Originally posted by princessleah_
    I haven't but if you are willing to do an experiment in the sarnie toaster it'd be great because we can feature it as a tip for shirl

• Apricot
    • By Apricot 29th Oct 10, 2:16 PM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    Apricot
    No probs - not sure how well it will work but will give it a go at some point this weekend
    DD July 2011

Aug 13 4235.19 2550.00
  • VenusFlytrap
    Has anyone ever made waffles in a sandwich toastie maker?
    Originally posted by princessleah_
    What a genius idea Princess! Love it, I don't have a griddle pan or waffle iron so wasn't going to try the waffles as thought the same as you, they would be just like pancakes in a frying pan - but using the sandwich toaster is a fab idea, I'll test that one too!
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 29th Oct 10, 2:53 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    oh I wonder if you could do waffles on a george foreman grill.... I used to do 'fried' eggs on mine by putting the little cup things on the front legs to make it level but we got rid a while back
  • Lesley Gaye
    If Lesley can tell me a nice easy way I'd love to hear it
    It all sounds very much a faff! This is the waffle iron I have http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1100-Fashioned-Waffle-Iron/product-reviews/B000BWCTL0/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    along with everyone's tales of seasoning the iron

I think there was mention of doing it in the oven on the instructions which would be my choice as I have the boys here most of the time and my kitchen isn't very well ventilated so smoke causes a right nightmare. I'm contemplating taking it to my parents as they're away all weekend and their kitchen has a door straight to outside
    Originally posted by Sami_Bee
    the iron had wax on it Sami, so that needed to come off. I tried heating on gas hob, which worked, but caused a lot of smoke, so took off and used hot soapy water. That got rid of most of it, so gas hob again for the last of it with extractor on full

I have used a set of 3 cast iron frying pans for many years and they need to be kept oiled or they go rusty, but they are really non-stick after a while. Just a piece of kitchen roll, moistened with oil and wiped around is enough

Following their instructions, I put a little oil in each half, tipping it around so all the dimples were coated, then placed each one on a burner on a low flame, and just left them while I got on with other things (in the kitchen) until they got good and hot and started to smoke. Then left them in situ to cool, wiped off the surplus with kitchen roll, and put them away

when I made waffles, I put a good tsp of oil in one half, and half a tsp in the top half, and tipped them both around the dimples. Poured in the mix, and fixed the top, then left it on a med flame until the bottom was golden, then used a teatowel to hold the handle while I flipped it over, and left it until that half was done. Prob a couple of mins each side. They were lovely and crispy outside and fluffy inside

Once the waffle iron is as seasoned as the frying pans, I won't need to use so much oil. I would imagine half a tsp at most per half. The frying pans certainly don't need much. I prob didn't need that much this time, but didn't want the waffle to stick to such a dimply surface

hope this is simpler sounding than the many detailed versions in the reviews
  • Boodle
    Can anyone (including me) believe that the brownie recipe worked without eggs?! I'm not sure what possessed me, as I was going to use my usual recipe even though it is a bit cakier, but I plumped for experimentation I upped the flour to 50% more as I thought without the eggs it might need that extra stabiliser + raising agent, and so reduced the sugar by about 40g. I replaced the egg with 100ml oat milk. OMG - moist, chocolatey and delicious! Although they are gorgeous as they are I would probably prefer a depper chocolatiness so add maybe 50% more choc next time.

I have been investigating the shopping list for my vegan Xmas week on MySupermarket. Quite a few things I already had in so I just replaced stuff on the original shopping list with my swaps to get an idea for comparing.

Am I allowed a total of 25.60? I am sure if I tweaked that could be brought to just below the 25 budget.

I took out all the dairy, meat and the chicken stock cube - totalling a 11.09 reduction.

I replaced with the following:

4pk of baby avocados 1.00
    vitalite 0.80
    Tin of butter beans 0.48 (for the pasta with chickpeas - decided to replace with butter beans for variation with hummus lunches- and greens)
    Cauldron sausages 1.98
    Asda yeast extract 1.66
    Oat milk x 3 1.28
    Life free from egg-free mayo 1.58
    Smart price brazil nuts 1.34
    Smart price peanuts 0.28
    Asda dates 1.34
    Total: 11.74

Hope that brief makes sense if anyone wanted to make sense of it :P xx
    • aless02
    • By aless02 29th Oct 10, 6:46 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 34,754 Thanks
    aless02
    Boodle - 3 Oat Milks for 1.24? I thought 1 cost this much!
    top 2013 wins: iPad, 50 dental care, 50 sportswear, 50 Nectar GC, 300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, 25 Morrisons, 50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12!
  • Boodle
    Sorry, Aless! I meant 3x 1.28

But I don't think I included that in my total - so it looks like I am 3.16 over. I will check later on as am in middle of a few things at the mo, but a quick look seems like i miscalculated there! Will see how it goes - might not use 3 after all anyway as was erring on side of caution
    • aless02
    • By aless02 29th Oct 10, 7:21 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 34,754 Thanks
    aless02
    Sorry, Aless! I meant 3x 1.28

But I don't think I included that in my total - so it looks like I am 3.16 over. I will check later on as am in middle of a few things at the mo, but a quick look seems like i miscalculated there! Will see how it goes - might not use 3 after all anyway as was erring on side of caution
    Originally posted by Boodle
    Ah, okay! I'm wondering if you could save some money...Cauldron sausages are the cheapest? There's not much you can cut, really, though. Maybe something other than butter beans, but at most that only saves you 20ishp.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, 50 dental care, 50 sportswear, 50 Nectar GC, 300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, 25 Morrisons, 50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12!
    • Apricot
    • By Apricot 29th Oct 10, 7:32 PM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    Apricot
    Toad in the hole was perfect - I don't know why I've never eaten it before but it's definitely going to become a regular meal! There are only two of us so we had 3 sausages each and served it with broccoli and no wedges. I am absolutely stuffed!
    DD July 2011

Aug 13 4235.19 2550.00
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 29th Oct 10, 7:55 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 10,986 Thanks
    shanks77
    We had the TITH as well again with broccolli as neither of us are sprout fans. We only had 2 sausages each and we found it plenty. Salmon pasta tomorrow which we have trialled already so know what to expect . Glad we have a new thread its nice to have company when doing recipes
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 29th Oct 10, 10:11 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    Thanks for that Lesley, much simpler

Weezl - Feedback on the Toad in'th 'ole recipe page:
    would it be possible to incorporate the wedges and maybe veg timings in the method? - I totally forgot about the potatoes so we ended up having mash because there wasn't enough time for wedges by the time I realised all it would need is the highlighted adding (or similar)
    pour the batter in all around the sausages. Return the roasting tin to the oven, straightaway, this time on the highest shelf, and cook for 30 minutes. After 10minutes you'll need to put your potato wedges in the oven.
    also underlined there should be a space between the 2 words
    The ingredients list also seems to have double line spacing which others don't.

We enjoyed it lots served with carrots because sprouts are minging I used rosemary instead of mustard in the gravy which worked well (tried it just leaving it out but it lacked 'something' )

My yorky didn't rise which was a bit gutting, I think it was because my batter was still cold from the fridged wet ingredients. I made it while the onions etc were in the oven not before as the method stated

Also on a separate note, what do you think of having the prep/cook time on the actual recipe page? its partly on some, a bit like the kit needed bit too. I love those parts but they don't seem to be on every recipe.
    Last edited by Sami_Bee; 29-10-2010 at 10:32 PM.
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 29th Oct 10, 10:12 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    We aren't joining you on this one, we have tried a lot of the recipes during testing, including the xmas day meal and we do have a really good excuse for not joining in ;-)
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • weezl74
    wow! fab feedback on the toad in the hole recipe. Good edits Sami, I shall try to incorporate that asap, so we can publish.

Pawnbroker and VitaminDee, a special thank you to you two for your recent delurks. I do after this many months of voluntary work get discouraged, that is most definitely true, And knowing that there are those who want me to keep going with this is a huge part of giving me the motivation to continue. And currently there is no plan B for this project, it does stop if I do. Thanks again for helping it to continue.

In other news, did I say on here that I have invited ISOM and her mum for the mockmas meal? Fergie made an amazing Jack o' lantern, and we have tea lights to put inside it, so we can decorate our table in a spookily festive way (Fergie's was made out of a genuine pumpkin, dear reader. No root vegetable substitutions here )
    Last edited by weezl74; 30-10-2010 at 8:31 AM.

• weezl74
    and we do have a really good excuse for not joining in ;-)
    Originally posted by queen of string
    oooh get you, all mysterious

have a smashing time xxxx

• Allegra
    Our Christmas week testing has got off to rather a shaky start I'm afraid !!!! had a stomach bug few days back, and yesterday first DD then I started feeling the effects, too. That does probably mean that I will not be able to do face either cooking or eating much of the rich Christmassy extras, but I will try to do as much as I can apart from that.

Yesterday I made bread,

french onion soup (apart from a brief taster, that has gone in the fridge for future use, as I've not been able to face eating it),

and the toad -

plus a cheat; an old Shirl batch of plain houmus got excavated from the freezer and turned into onion houmus

Toad was lovely - pretty much the same as I'd normally do it (a well frugalised Delia recipe, if I am not mistaken ?) except I'd normally use plain flour (can't say I noticed any difference here anyway). I also took a leaf out of Arty's book and sliced the sausages lengthwise once cooked, before adding the batter - made them look like loads

I was unable to finish mine, though - and sadly most of what I did get down came back up in the night anyway

Onwards and upwards though - salmon pasta tonight, and possibly brownies (as they can be served as part of the snack mountain at DD's Halloween sleepover). Must remember to get the pork shoulder out of the freezer for tomorrow, but I will not be making the Christmas pudding - just too much to face atm and it would not get eaten - and the yule log is questionable, too. I also have to make the pizza dough, grate the cheese, and make the spider cupcakes for the aformentioned sleepover, so if there is any time and get-up-and-go left after all that, then perhaps yule log too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

526Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter