Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 20th Apr 08, 11:13 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 4,744 Thanks
    sethsgran
    Chinese duk with plum sauce wrapped in chinese pancakes
  • ~Chameleon~
    I have a fairly large duck which I am hoping will do 2 meals for 3 of us.
    Originally posted by tallyhoh
    I think you're being rather optimistic in trying to make 2 meals from a duck. To be honest there'll probably be just about enough meat on it for a single meal for 3 of you
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
    • redruby
    • By redruby 21st Apr 08, 6:30 AM
    • 7,094 Posts
    • 99,567 Thanks
    redruby
    I think you're being rather optimistic in trying to make 2 meals from a duck. To be honest there'll probably be just about enough meat on it for a single meal for 3 of you
    Originally posted by ~Chameleon~
    My thoughts exactly, we had duck on Saturday, ( my oh got it out the freezer by mistake, I asked him to get diced turkey, he took out a whole duck :confused: ) it was a big duck but we only managed to get 3 meals off of it, we has hoi sin wraps, bit if a waste of money if you ask me, will not be getting one again.
    • soappie
    • By soappie 21st Apr 08, 6:32 AM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 162,938 Thanks
    soappie
    Duck soup - just like chicken soup, using stock from the boiled up carcass (and extra from the giblets if you saved them) - is lovely
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life

• tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 21st Apr 08, 7:20 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    Thank you, I thought I might be a bit hopeful.

The suggestions were very good as there may not (if any) be much left.
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 21st Apr 08, 7:28 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I have a fairly large duck which I am hoping will do 2 meals for 3 of us.

I have already decided on making half of it into a curry, what about the other half? any ideas please?

Something quite simple due to the curry meal would be best.

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by tallyhoh
    I agree with chameleon - you'll be lucky to get enough for 3 of you from even a huge duck

You can make a stock as a base for delicious soup (as has been mentioned) and don't forget to save the fat. If you skim it off the juices, it'll last for ages in the fridge, and makes the best roast potatoes.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 21st Apr 08, 8:32 AM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 20,708 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    I agree with chameleon - you'll be lucky to get enough for 3 of you from even a huge duck

You can make a stock as a base for delicious soup (as has been mentioned) and don't forget to save the fat. If you skim it off the juices, it'll last for ages in the fridge, and makes the best roast potatoes.

Penny. x
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    I'll disagreee here Goose fat makes the absolute best roasties, but duck fat is a very worthy second (Then comes lard ) Last time we had duck I kept draining the fat during the roasting, got two decent jars full. Meatwise, it was a bit of a struggle making it do 4, but by using loads of veg and trimmings we made it
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    • Mrs Toast
    • By Mrs Toast 4th Oct 09, 8:51 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    Mrs Toast
    How far can you stretch a whole duck?
    Hi all, I'm after some advise for cooking a whole duck. I'm going to make Duck a l'orange first but then would like to make a couple more meals out of it as there's only the two of us. I'm also planning on making a stock in the slow cooker with the carcus.

Does anybody know any recipes for leftover duck?
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 4th Oct 09, 9:00 AM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Theres not a great deal of meat on a duck
  • Belisarius
    How about cassoulet? Roughly, beans, duck legs, sausages.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Maximum of 2 meals for 2, I'd've said. Breasts for one meal, legs fo another - the cassoulet idea is a good one as ther's not always much meat on the legs.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Oct 09, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Trouble with duck is that there isn't that much meat on them. However for two you should be able to get at least two decent meals plus stock.

I'm just having a look in one of my books The New English Kitchen by Rose Prince at a piece called 'how to get more from a duck'. She suggests jointing the duck to produce two boneless breasts, two legs, and the carcass with two wings.

She says use the breasts in a salad or with fruity sauce -you could cook them as you suggest à l'orange.

The legs can go in a bean or lentil (the little dark ones) casserole with a couple of sausages cassoulet style. Another idea for the legs is to brown them in a heavy casserole until the fat runs then add whole potatoes, or chunks. Season well, then turn them in the fat then cover and cook over a low heat for about an hour. Duck stovies!

A good thing to do with leftover duck meat is to shred it and serve it with plum sauce, spring onions, cucumber and Chinese pancakes. These can be bought frozen by the 100 in Chinese supermarkets.

Or you could use the shredded meat in a salad with lentils, or in a pilaff using rice or bulghar.

Save the fat that comes off the duck for roasting potatoes. It will keep forever in the fridge.

Duck liver is gorgeous, fry it in butter and enjoy as a cook's perk on toast or freeze and each time you buy a duck add the liver to the freezer until you have enough for pate.

I have a few tubs of duck stock in the freezer from last time we had one. I use it for soups, but fairly robust ones not delicate vegetable soups. Lentils and bean soups are delicious with duck stock. Make it like chicken stock.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 4th Oct 09, 9:22 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I have an overwhelming desire to rename this thread "Rubber Duck"

I'll step away from the keyboard now

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • esio trot
    • By esio trot 4th Oct 09, 9:28 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    esio trot
    I have an overwhelming desire to rename this thread "Rubber Duck"

I'll step away from the keyboard now

Penny. x
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    I had the same giggle though it took me a while to figure it out (call it too much wine last night!)
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Oct 09, 9:44 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Rubber duck Never occurred to me Love it
  • lainey stardust
    theres never anything leftover when my OH and I have duck, we love it!!!
    doing what I do best...trying!!-- lainey
    Proud to be a Wooligan
  • Whitewillow
    i suggerst breasts for duck l'orange (sp??) legs for whatever, then every little scrap you can peel off the cooked carcus (although people say theres not a lot believe me when you got the wings shredded and all the little bits here and there you can get quite a bit of meat from it, in tiny little shreds) you can plonk them in a simple fruity curry - delicious and plenty for two! thats 3 meals from a duck! well worth the money! and so tasty! use the fat for your roast pots - very good! the stock as said before pot up and will keep forever, liver will make a scrummy pate, and if you have the neck you can make a really tasty broth from and add all leftovers! so possibly 5 meals from the duck there! dont come much stretchier than that! hth
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 4th Oct 09, 4:44 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,221 Thanks
    celyn90
    I made a plum sauce using damson jam, soy sauce, mustard and a pinch of ground cloves a couple of weeks back - was virtually indistingusihable to the real thing.

You will get a lot of fat though - and this makes the best roast potatoes in the world

- *is now humming the rubber duckie song from seseame street - curse you*
    beware of geeks bearing .gifs...

Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
    • GarryJ68
    • By GarryJ68 4th Oct 09, 4:47 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 18,823 Thanks
    GarryJ68
    Hi all, I'm after some advise for cooking a whole duck. I'm going to make Duck a l'orange first but then would like to make a couple more meals out of it as there's only the two of us. I'm also planning on making a stock in the slow cooker with the carcus.

Does anybody know any recipes for leftover duck?
    Originally posted by Mrs Toast
    You could do a nice chinese rice stir fry...

You need rice, seseme seed oil, 3 eggs, salt, pepper, soy sauce, 1 onion, 1 yellow pepper, some frozen peas...

Boil the rice in advance and let it cool - boil for say 10 mins, drain with boiling water - cool for 30-40 mins

Cut up the onions and the pepper and fry in a little olive oil... then add the meat.... and then the rice... at this point add the seseme seed oil and the soy...

Get it on a really high flame and blast it stirring constantly otherwise the rice will stick.... lol... then reduce the heat to a simmer.

Take a frying pan with a little oil.... then beat you eggs in a bowl - once the oil is hot in the pan add the beaten eggs and cook what seems like a big fried egg int he pan. once it starts to solidify break it up into nice bigish chucks... drain off the oil and add to the rice - add some frozen peas for presentation and season with salt and pepper - give it a little blast with the heat again to get the peas hot and then serve.

Lovely....
    • prowla
    • By prowla 4th Oct 09, 4:56 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    prowla
    How far can you stretch a whole duck?
    Originally posted by Mrs Toast
    I have this vision of a tug of war with one team holding the head and the other the legs, and the duck stretching...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,208Posts Today

6,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin