Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 2nd May 06, 5:55 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    Our old boiler was still working abet not very well, I told them this so that doesn't fit in the info they gave you that its not working or condemned.

When they came to check they only looked around the house for insulation, sq metre of rooms, and had a quick visual look at the boiler, at no time did they check to confirm that it works or not. They also checked our incomes.

Several months elapsed came to assess where the boiler would be fitted, he mentioned that we would have to get a cupboard for the boiler to comply with the new electrical rules.

He never checked boiler either, and it was he who told us that they would replace the boiler if it was 8 years old or more.

We did have some insulation work done in Jan 2003 also but it was loft insulation only.
    Last edited by Poppycat; 02-05-2006 at 5:58 PM.

• pinkpauline34
    • By pinkpauline34 25th May 06, 12:17 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    pinkpauline34
    You are all extremely lucky being able to qualify for this Scheme as it doesn't apply in Scotland unless you are over 60!

I have now taken this up with my MSP as I don't see why Scotland should be any different to the rest of the UK.

Has anyone else in Scotland come up against this?
  • Miss Penny Pincher
    I had a Warm Front assessor come round about a month ago. I was really hoping for a new boiler as ours is 15 years old and also some loft insultation as the homebuyers survey said we definitely needed more. He said that they would only replace the boiler if it broke down and couldn't be fixed. Also we only have 4inches of loft insulation but he said that was enough to not qualify for any more. The only thing they agreed to was cavity wall insulation.

Today they sent firm round to do cavity wall insulation - I took day off work and was really pleased about getting it. They were really pleasant and drilled a couple of holes first of all to check if I was happy with it before they did the whole lot. They warned me that it would be holes all over the wall. I didn't realise it was all over and was shocked that they drill away at the bricks too - I thought it was just the mortar.

The installers said that I wasn't the only person who had expressed concern and had changed their minds. They said they could see why I had doubts about it and what's the point of having it done if you end up with ugly holes all over that stop you from selling the house afterwards! One of the installers said that he was hoping to buy his first home soon and said that he understood me not wanting it done especially with houses being so expensive these days!

They said that the insulation they had with them needed this drill which meant the bricks got chipped away at but that if they insulate with white stuff (?) then they can use a smaller drill which would only affect the mortar. They didn't have it with them but they said they could recommend that I have that one instead. They pointed out that the mortar they use to fill in the holes afterwards obviously wouldn't be the same colour mortar because its new but that doesn't bother me so much.

As you can see they were really understanding but am I being too melodramatic? This is our first home and we only moved in 6 weeks ago so possibly I am too proud of it! :confused:
    Make 5 a day challenge - August 125.75 / 155. September 75p / 150.
  • fredsgirl
    Sorry to add a sour note but I am retired own my own home but as I am just above the level for benefits I am not entitled to any of these perks.
    It all seems so unfair when I have worked with people in the past who used to spend hours working out benefits so as not to lose any.
    Try to get them to work an extra few hours but NO it will affect my family tax credit Who's the idiot eh
  • Miss Penny Pincher
    fredsgirl I see your point but the reason that I am entitled to Warm Front is not because I have spent "hours working out benefits so as not to lose any" but I qualified because I receive DLA. This is not means tested and I work full time and do not receive any other benefits.
    Make 5 a day challenge - August 125.75 / 155. September 75p / 150.
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 5th Jun 06, 10:21 AM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I can understand where you are coming from fredsgirl.

Not all of us play the game either. You cant deny people who are entitled to something, particularly as those how suffer the most tend to be those on low incomes, whether your old or young.

I could never afford to replace our boiler and I really had to exert pressue on the company to put the boiler in a.s.a.p as my old boiler was on the blink and we have a daughter who suffers from the cold, yet we dont get any help at all for her needs. We got turned down for DLA I accept that are far more deserving cases, I really only want some help with paying for fuel as pensoners get help, why cant we for her needs? She may be young but she feels the cold as much as a older pensioner.
    • ---lee---
    • By ---lee--- 5th Jun 06, 7:18 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    ---lee---
    You are all extremely lucky being able to qualify for this Scheme as it doesn't apply in Scotland unless you are over 60!

I have now taken this up with my MSP as I don't see why Scotland should be any different to the rest of the UK.

Has anyone else in Scotland come up against this?
    by pinkpauline34
    Different rules apply in Wales also. It would be much simpler if the rules were all the same.
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 31st Aug 06, 9:40 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    Which is the correct one to apply to? there are different numbers. Is the eaga partnership the same as warmfront? Theres also another different number for warm front on the government site so its a bit confusing. Is any better than the other?

My boiler is 18 years old now and I tried to put the heating on for the first time this winter tonight and it wont go on. The boiler is in the loft (valliant combination) so I can't check it myself. I'm on incapacity benefit I don't know if I'll get it or not but I'm going to try anyway as I dont have the finances for a new boiler

My water is actually working so I don't know exactly whats wrong but after 18 years theres going to be problems, I'm really hoping that they will grant me a new boiler but as the water is working they may not, thats if I am entitled at all

What do you think my chances are and is there anything I should or should not say when I ring?
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 31st Aug 06, 10:34 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    About 6 months ago I decided to try and see if there were any grants on the go. Due to two serious accidents in the last 18 months our income has dropped over 5k a year. Anyway, after following leads from this site and ask.co.... I applied online for a grant. Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and other local councils have joined forces in trying to provide grants.

About 4 weeks ago I got a call out of the blue saying that there were 2 grants in this area (one warm front but cannot remember the other) and asked what heating we have now and what benefits and income were we on. After many very friendly calls (freephone no.) we were told yesterday that we qualify for a full grant for a condernsing combi boiler and radiators and they even pay up to 600 toward the gas being put in! In total we are to get up to 3,300 towards the heating.

We currently have storage heaters that are over 20 years old and an immersion heater on economy 7 so are exstatic!!!!
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 31st Aug 06, 10:36 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I would certainly try Lady_K no harm in asking. I am also on IB, but its more to with entitlement, ie low incoems anything up to £15,000 and or whether the boiler needs replacing or fixing either way it needs something doing. You may get help with having your walls filled in with insulation, draught proofing, roof insulation too.

As far as I am aware warm front is Ega. Good luck.
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 31st Aug 06, 10:36 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob

What do you think my chances are and is there anything I should or should not say when I ring?
    by Lady_K

Give them a ring, the worst they can do is say no!!!!
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 31st Aug 06, 10:41 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    Do you think I should just ring the ega then I'm in Nottingham but my council is Ashfield
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 31st Aug 06, 10:49 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    Yes ring them no harm in asking they can be very busy I waited once for an hour on phone.
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 1st Sep 06, 9:35 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    I contacted eaga today and at first they said I wasn't entitled because incapacity is not classed as a disability but I rang back again as I remembered reading somewhere on the net that if you have been on it for over a year you qualify. They confirmed this is correct and I am entitled to apply

They told me an inspector would be in touch with me in the next 4 weeks. They asked if I have central heating and if it was working and I said yes I have central heating butit is not working because it isn't. The water is still working but I don't know how long for but if that goes it will be a complete dissaster and I will definitely have to borrow the money to get it fixed somehow because the nature of my condition I have to have hot water.

How long do you think it will be from applying today to actually getting things fixed? And what is the procedure?
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 1st Sep 06, 10:05 AM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I applied late last October and got our new condensing boiler in March thsi year.

I was never told that IB made any difference to whether you allegable or not, mealy your assessed in income or need.

To expediate things a little as we couldnt have baths I asked them if they could class ours as a emergnecy as my daughter and I have outstanding health problems particularly her she cant walk far and has CMT which make her prone to the cold. They wouldnt budge nore would letters from our GP or MP, they told me that they dont take into account any disbaikity or outstanding health problems, they even stressed "we are not an emergency agency"

I did have within a week someone could and check our incomes, see what insulation we had and see our boiler (actually he just asked what was wrong). We then waiting unti Feb when someone came to check our boiler again he didnt actually chekc it asked us what the problem was and how old it was. I am sure he said they replace boilers if they are 10 years old anyhow.

In the mean time between Oct and March we were also sent some energsy saving light bulbs.

We previously had our loft insulated, but they didnt do a very good job, the insulation didnt go all the way out to the edges and we then one Winter had major problems with water seeping from the roof (it wasnt leaking) causing condenation and thick spours of mold, it was so bad we had to have enviromental health round.

I then went up in the loft to check I noticed they laid insulation over boxes I had up there including christmas tree rather than move them out of the way before laying the insulation. I got more insulation in the areas they hadnt laid the insulation and also bought some Kingspan to put on the rafters sow e have plenty of insulation and the problem of condenstation hasnt happened since, so myself is if they do your loft check
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 1st Sep 06, 10:18 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    Well I will have to be prepared for a long wait then it seems... goodness I hope its not going to be too bad a winter. I have an electric fire in the living room and the gas fire in the back room isnt safe as my grandaughter pulled it away from the wall and broke the seal so it would prob give off carbon monoxide. I dont use the back room anyway.

So basically they will come round to check out whats wrong and want to see proof of my income as in benefit evidenence and bank statements? will they want to know outgoings? did they give you an appointment time or just turn up?
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 1st Sep 06, 10:48 AM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    They didnt look at my outgoings only what income I had coming in. In our case they rang up and asked if they could come and see it the first time around, I think he was in the area as he was quick to come. The 2nd time it was an appointment.

Its best to get these thing done quickely before the Winter troubles begin, when everyone turns there boiler only and find out if it works.

The boiler we got was what they claim the Rolls Royce of boilers a Vallance condensing boiler.
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 1st Sep 06, 9:25 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    I was just wondering do condensing boilers have to have a hot water tank? because I don't have one as I have a combination boiler... I wouldnt know where to put one now. Plus I have a gas power shower which works off the combination boiler too. I think warmfront only instal condensing boilers so not sure if they did say I needed a new boiler how how that would be effected.
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 1st Sep 06, 9:32 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    Hi Lady-K no they dont have a hot water tank it takes me around 5 secs to have hot water via tap a lot quicker than our old combi boiler did with no hot water tak there either. Theres steam that comes out of the boiler which is sent outside, there meant to be very efficent. I will compare next Winters heating with last years when it comes.

I am not sure about gas power showers it might be best to ask in diy forum as there some plumber that reside there and kindly offer help

As far as I am ware due to the change in law only condensing boilers can now be fitted.
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 2nd Sep 06, 10:55 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Rebob
    Condensing boilers come in two types, the one with a hot water tank and another that is a combi boiler. The condensing name means the boiler reuses its own heat ie condensation and so it can use less than half the amount of gas than the older style of boiler.

Lady K - I would ring them back up, ask for the name of the person so you can ring the same one back, and tell them about the fire in the back room being unsafe. Part of the grant can be used to repair existing faults so this might be done quicker. Worth a try anyway.

We too are expecting it to take up to 6 months but if we borrowed the money it would take longer than that to pay it off! Until very recently we have just been above the level of income for help and even though we have had a big drop in income we have been no worse off this year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin