Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bloke91
    • By bloke91 23rd Jun 19, 8:40 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bloke91
    Double Glazing Replacement Quote
    • 23rd Jun 19, 8:40 PM
    Double Glazing Replacement Quote 23rd Jun 19 at 8:40 PM
    Hi

I recently had a local company provide a quote to replace my windows and a couple of doors. They use Liniar as the window manufacture.

It came to £9778 and they are apparently providing a discount and it should be £16255. Not convinced about the £16225 think that's a sales technique but there was no pressure selling though, they are advising 40% discount at there showroom.

Do you think this is a reasonable price?

10 Windows white UPVC and widow sill boards replaced.
    1 bay window that is 4 window panels wide.
    1 Composite door
    1 UPVC door.
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 24th Jun 19, 7:25 AM
    • 26,233 Posts
    • 69,344 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:25 AM
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:25 AM
    Why not just get a number of quotations, using local firms as far as possible?

That's what we did for our replacement windows and, later, for a conservatory.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 24th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 24th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    • 24th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    As above get 3 more like for like quotations and work references if possible.

You will soon know if you are getting ripped off or in the right ball park.
    • John.Wright
    • By John.Wright 25th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John.Wright
    • 25th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    I've looked at the homeowner guides on this website and they've come in handy. They seem to be some kind of compare the market which also offer "funding" might be worth trying them out as a benchmark. Here's the link https://www.doubleglazingfunding.co.uk/
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 25th Jun 19, 2:24 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:24 PM
    • 25th Jun 19, 2:24 PM
    "Funding" for replacement windows is a load of bølløcks. It is just a sales pitch starting off with massively overinflated prices and then "discounted" to make look like you are getting a bargain.

Had a bunch of charlatans from a company up north (Eco Frames) who initially cold called claiming to do a "free energy survey". This turned in to a sales pitch for uPVC windows with the carrot of "funding". Initial quote was for some £14,000 and with "funding" would come down to £7,000 - I would need to pay a £250 non-refundable deposit to see if I qualified for "funding".

The whole sales pitch screams scam, scam, and con.

A local company has quoted me £5,000 for the same job without any hard sell, bogus claims of funding or any other bullshıt.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 26th Jun 19, 12:49 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    madlyn
    • 26th Jun 19, 12:49 PM
    • 26th Jun 19, 12:49 PM
    Find local tradesmen and get 3/4 quotes, steer clear of the big national companies, don't you ever watch Watchdog? they are all well know for their sales patter and B/S.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,779Posts Today

9,251Users online

Martin's Twitter