Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrpunk50
    • By mrpunk50 23rd Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 11Thanks
    mrpunk50
    Toilet flush parts - where to purchase??
    • 23rd Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    Toilet flush parts - where to purchase?? 23rd Jun 19 at 4:44 PM
    Hi all,

I have what a think is called "a flexi mount" dual flush on my toilet. There's a dual button on top, then inside the cistern lid a little white box attached to the cable, with the cable attached to flush valve itself.

I've managed to break the little white box which is responsible for pulling the cable. Specifically, I've snapped the little black lever inside, which the cable clips into.

I'm not allowed to post links, but I've uploaded an image of the broken part here: i.imgur*com/J40V90S.jpg

Does anyone know anywhere online or "bricks & mortar" which sells a replacement? All I can find are entire replacements for the whole flush valve system.

We've just bought our first house, so I've never had to do much DIY before. Changing the whole valve system is a bit intimidating...

Thanks!!
Page 1
    • mrpunk50
    • By mrpunk50 23rd Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mrpunk50
    • 23rd Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    In case anyone fancies a laugh here is how I broke it:

We've got an issue with the water pressure going into the inlet, which I'm still trying to fix. I lifted up the cistern lid to see how it was refilling, and managed to knock the top off the refill valve, spraying a constant stream of water into my face. At this point, I dropped the cistern lid onto the floor with the cable still attached.

I had to go and use the stopcock, so at least we now know the stopcock works in our new house...
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 23rd Jun 19, 4:59 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 23rd Jun 19, 4:59 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 4:59 PM
    Funnily enough, I did the very same thing last week and couldn't see a way to take the thing apart to reattach the cable. A new flush valve complete was 4.49 from Screwfix and took less than an hour to fit. I had to sponge out the water as the flush was broken, undo the fill-valve connection & the pan connectors, lift the cistern off, remove the flush valve and refit it all.
    The valve came with everything I needed (Flowmasta)
    If it's your only toilet it may be best to get a friend or a pro to do it this time round if you're not feeling confident.
    It's not beyond the abilities of most DIYers though with bit of patience
    On the water pressure issue, is there a in-line valve to control the toilet fill - check it's fully open, or even possibly blocked/broken - they're really cheap to replace if needed.

Edit to add, if you think the fill valve maybe faulty, may as well fit a new one at same time as the flush valve
    Last edited by flashg67; 23-06-2019 at 5:03 PM.
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 23rd Jun 19, 5:22 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    • 23rd Jun 19, 5:22 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 5:22 PM
    I turned my single flush toilet into a dual flush with a kit I got from B & M. I'm an experienced DIY so didn't take long to fit, but if you're not feeling confident about it ask a mate in your peer group if they've done something like this.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 23rd Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 23rd Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    Plumbers' merchants are the place to buy plumbing parts, although I doubt they stock parts of parts like that.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 23rd Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 12,416 Posts
    • 14,110 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 23rd Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    OP's link: http://i.imgur.com/J40V90S.jpg
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 24th Jun 19, 8:53 PM
    • 5,652 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 24th Jun 19, 8:53 PM
    • 24th Jun 19, 8:53 PM
    Post up the pic of the syphon inside the cistern
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,038Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Short lived promo from Virgin - 100mb broadband (that's seriously fast) AND line for equiv of £19/mth - that's les? https://t.co/QqEwbcvsRN

• Follow Martin