Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 10:00PM
    I went back to work on Tuesday and have taken breakfast and a packed lunch both days this week. :)

After work today I did a trip to the tip with a car full of junk. The tip is just round the corner from work so I saved a trip by going on the way home :)

New water bill arrived going up to £13.14 July then £13.15 for 7 months increased from £12.79. :(

My birthday card refund £5.98 has gone through back onto my credit card :)

Added DS's gf to home insurance cost £2.24 :(

I got a fathers day card in Tesco today £1 for a lovely hallmark card & bought 6 first class stamps, will pay for these from birthday etc fund. :)

It poured with rain when I came out of Tesco and I got soaked :(
    but it gave the car a wash :)

DS & gf walked puppy dog twice today so I didn't have to :)

A good day, more :) than :(

:D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    It was a lovely sunny afternoon yesterday. DS gf walked puppy dog. I met with a friend after work and we went for lunch in the local pub. 2 for £9.99 and a drink each £3.20 = £8.20 from entertainment fund. Had a lovely chilled afternoon.

When I got home I hoovered the dog carpet and kitchen tiled floor and cut the grass. Then had a snooze with the dog :D

Its a sunny breezy morning today. not sure if it will rain later. "Rent" from DS and gf will be due in next few days, they get paid on 15th, so I can then sort out my credit card payments & savings.

Next Saturday I am out for a friends birthday we are going for high tea at a local place £10 which will come from birthday fund and I already have a card in my stash which I bought a few months ago.

DF has gone to my sister for fathers day so I am glad he is not home alone. I have sent him a card and already buy him a magazine subscription for birthday/xmas/fathers day.

More decluttering to do today! DS has gone to work. Puppy dog has been fed and is snoozing. I think I will walk her this morning and then DS & gf can walk her this afternoon/evening when DS gets home. Time is now 6.35, just off back to bed for a few hours :p
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hope your meal was good yesterday and that you had a good rest this weekend.

I hope your father had a good Father's Day too.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    I walked puppy dog before the rain yesterday. It brightened up around 2pm so I put some washing out. It was quite windy so it dried in around an hour before it rained again. I cleared another kitchen cupboard, cleaned the bathroom and did a bit of gardening when the sun appeared around 6pm. Am hoping to meet up with a friend later today depending on the weather, the forecast was raining all morning and sunny periods this afternoon.

Decluttering week 24 - w/e sun 16 June - 9 tins of paint dried up / dregs left. old hoover no longer working & not needed now I have my vax blade & shark. 8 old baking tins/cake tins inherited years ago and never used. Old flan/quiche dish with crack in side not used for years. Why oh why do I keep all this stuff !!

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    I hope you had a good day and were able to meet up with your friend. Well done on decluttering - As to your question, apart from my spare room my house is tidy but I have so many posh tins. I don't want to get rid of them even if they are empty they might come in useful one day.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Have a good day tomorrow.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 17 June 2019 at 9:34PM
    I helped DS's girlfriend sort some of her stuff yesterday and walked puppy dog in the morning before the rain.

My friend came round about 4pm last night when it brightened up and we went to the pub but it was very busy and noisy so we picked up an indian and went back to her house. spends £2.70 and £6.00 from entertainment budget.

I went shopping after work today total spend around £19 (haven't got receipt to hand at the moment) Food this week

Breakfasts
    porridge & banana & honey
    scrambled egg

Lunches
    pulled pork, cheese & onion, egg mayo roll & crisps

Dinners
    fajitas
    chilli chicken stir fry & noodles
    pulled pork chips & sweetcorn
    pulled pork. jacket potato & veg & gravy
    spag bol
    chilli & rice
    Red thai curry chicken
    Fish pie

in stores already = 1/2 tin beans put in chilli, wraps, noodles, porridge, honey mince beef, kidney beans in freezer, passata, peppers corgettes, onions, rice, thai red curry paste & coconut milk in freezer, spaghetti, herbs, spices, butter, olive oil, gravy granuals.

I had spag bol for tea & one portion left for the freezer along with 2 portions of chilli made this afternoon. Also helped DS's gf to build a wardrobe from IKEA, the instructions were awful !!! but we got it sorted and put together :D

Am shattered am in bed now for an early night zzzzzz

Living off savings diary
  • So I found my receipt shopping on Monday came to £19.26. I have paid £50 to my 0% credit card plus £6 fee for transfer of vet fees, £100 into emergency fund, £100 into annual bills account and £50 into birthdays / Xmas account this month.

I have £45.73 to last till payday. I need £10 petrol and shopping should be minimal as I have leftovers in freezer. I am out Saturday for a friends birthday which will be £10 for high tea at local cafe and £10 for drinks on the walk back, apparently we have 2 pubs to call in ! It's supposed to be sunny so I am looking forward to it :beer:

If I need a bit extra I can take Saturday spends out of the birthdays account. I already have a card in my stash bought months ago.:cool:

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 22 June 2019 at 6:28AM
    Hurrah for the weekend :T

I have made a list of the food left in stores/freezer and I should have enough to last till payday apart from bread rolls, ham, bananas and crisps which I will get from aldi on Monday. I went to asda yesterday and got a new bath mat £5 paid from household fund. My car service plan refund arrived, £322 so I have put £300 into a separate car fund and left £22 in my current account in case I overspend before payday ! :o If its still there then, I will either overpay on my credit card or put it with the other car money.

Me and puppy dog had a lovely afternoon walk yesterday, but it was very hot so I didn't let her run around for long. When I got back I scrubbed down the patio and rinsed out and refilled her paddling pool, so she was jumping in and out of that all afternoon :) Also hoovered the carpet in puppy dog room and tiled kitchen floor and got 2 loads of washing all dried outside :T DS's girlfriend hung one load of towels out in the morning while I was at work and I did my clothes when I got home.

Last night I had red thai curry for tea. I defrosted the coconut milk and it was perfect. I remember now it was the lower fat version tin I bought so maybe that had something to do with why it didn't split, but I would definitely get that again.

Today I am out at 11.30am, hence the reason I did all my jobs yesterday :cool:. We are going to a friends house for pre-lunch drinks then walking to the caf!. After lunch we are walking home, calling off at a few local pubs :p Should hopefully walk off some of the calories from high tea /cakes etc ;) I have £20 to spend, so hope to keep in budget.

I will walk puppy dog a bit later before I go out. Have just fed her. DS got in around midnight and his gf finished work at 3am so they can have a lie in. I fed puppy dog at 5.30am and DS gf had tidied up and loaded the dishwasher when she got in, she's very tidy so she's a keeper :A

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Hurrah for car money coming back! Your curry sounds great. Well done on walking in the hot weather. You are v disciplined. I just ate at Andy's mum's barbeque and we just sat all day!

I am so glad DS girlfriend is so nice and helpful. Have a fabulous day today.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 24 June 2019 at 9:09PM
    Had a lovely day on Saturday. The weather was glorious with a nice breeze. Afternoon tea was lovely £10 and sat in pub garden after. £10 into kitty each so £50 between 5 of us. Had a couple of glasses of prosecco then went onto diet coke. Slapped on loads of factor 30 so didn't burn :D & short walk home so no taxi fare.

Sunday I had a lie in :o DS and his gf walked the dog. I did a bit of gardening and cut the lawn in the afternoon, it was very hot and muggy but cloudy. One load of washing done and dried on the line.

Today I went got petrol after work £10 and went to aldi and got a few things to last the week. Total spend £9.71. With the food left from weeks 1-3 the menu this week is

breakfast - porridge & banana with honey. or
    Scrambled egg.
    lunch - ham or cheese or egg or pulled pork roll & crisps

dinners-
    fajhitas
    pulled pork & chips & tinned sweetcorn/salad
    spag bol
    fish pie (aldi 69p) & green veg
    Cajun pork chops, new potatoes & salad
    korma chicken & chips or rice

snacks/dessert - mini choc roll, tinned pineapple, yoghurt

I have managed to stick within my £25 a week budget for food & cleaning products so am really pleased. Hoping to do the same next month.

Had a lovely walk with the dog after unpacking the shopping. Lots of wildflowers and bees and birds and she was chasing butterflies. It was warm with a nice breeze, but we have thunderstorms and rain forecast for tonight/tomorrow and 30 degree heat by the end of the week .. too hot for me & the dog.

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback