Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion
    • 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion 4th Nov 16 at 4:02 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss

Best Sim-only Deals

Click reply to discuss or ask a question about this article click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-11-2018 at 1:33 PM.
Page 18
    • VARoberts
    • By VARoberts 12th Jun 19, 11:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    VARoberts
    I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THREE.

I get the following for £20 per month Unlimited, Unlimited texts, unlimited data (i use my hotspot for my childrens 2 phones, 1 tablet, 1 PC, firestick all while using my phone) service has never dipped.
    No need for land line or internet provider saves ££'s
    • atlantis187
    • By atlantis187 12th Jun 19, 10:26 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    atlantis187

I get the following for £20 per month Unlimited, Unlimited texts, unlimited data (i use my hotspot for my childrens 2 phones, 1 tablet, 1 PC, firestick all while using my phone) service has never dipped.
    Originally posted by VARoberts
    how does rest of the family use the internet when your out of the house with your phone then?
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 16th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    Virgin Mobile are doing 10gb for £10 pm (12 month contract). Cashback of £30 available from QC and TCB. Are either of these cashback providers preferred at the moment ?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 20th Jun 19, 6:56 AM
    • 3,997 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    adindas
    ID Mobile Data rolled over
    ID mobile Sim only deal is available here
    https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals

It says data roll over. But it is not clear whether the previous motnhs data will keep adding until the cotract is cancelled or only the last month data.

So for example Someone is on monthly £5 a month with 1GB data rolling over, 500 min, unlimited text

June no data used Left over 1GB
    July no data used Left over 1GB
    August no data used Left over 1GB
    September no data used Left over 1GB
    October no data used Left over 1GB

In November does it mean that a person on this contract will have

5x1GB GB to be used (keep adding with all of the previous unused data are rolled over, like 1p Mobile Mobile) OR

just 2x1GB (just the last month allowance is rolled over)?

Thanks
    Last edited by adindas; 20-06-2019 at 6:58 AM.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 20th Jun 19, 7:17 AM
    • 16,278 Posts
    • 133,834 Thanks
    zagubov
    ID mobile Sim only deal is available here
    https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals

It says data roll over. But it is not clear whether the previous motnhs data will keep adding until the cotract is cancelled or only the last month data.

So for example Someone is on monthly £5 a month with 1GB data rolling over, 500 min, unlimited text

June no data used Left over 1GB
    July no data used Left over 1GB
    August no data used Left over 1GB
    September no data used Left over 1GB
    October no data used Left over 1GB

In November does it mean that a person on this contract will have

5x1GB GB to be used (keep adding with all of the previous unused data are rolled over, like 1p Mobile Mobile) OR

just 2x1GB (just the last month allowance is rolled over)?

Thanks
    Originally posted by adindas
    It's only the previous months data that rolls over.

Be very careful of buying add-ons. They only get used AFTER you use your normal data allowance and they expire after a month.

I spent a tenner on 3Gb while abroad and worried about running out.

It'll expire next week, I've not touched it yet and I'm running low on my monthly amount again.

If you do buy a data add-on with them, you might want to buy the cheapest possible until you learn your usage rate.

Having said that they have some very cheap contracts (I'm on 240 mins, 2500 texts and 2.25 Gb for £5, and that's better than most current contracts).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • adindas
    • By adindas 20th Jun 19, 8:06 AM
    • 3,997 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    adindas
    It's only the previous months data that rolls over.

Be very careful of buying add-ons. They only get used AFTER you use your normal data allowance and they expire after a month.

I spent a tenner on 3Gb while abroad and worried about running out.

It'll expire next week, I've not touched it yet and I'm running low on my monthly amount again.

If you do buy a data add-on with them, you might want to buy the cheapest possible until you learn your usage rate.

Having said that they have some very cheap contracts (I'm on 240 mins, 2500 texts and 2.25 Gb for £5, and that's better than most current contracts).
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Thanks for clarification.
    Like You I will just be using mostly mostly as a data back up for roamig in the EU Country abroad 1-2 days. So I prefer the pne like 1p mpbile where they keep adding until ypu terminate the contract.

How did you get 240 mins, 2500 texts and 2.25 Gb for £5, Is it an contract ot it is still available for new customer ??

Thanks again
    Last edited by adindas; 20-06-2019 at 8:09 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th Jun 19, 8:23 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thanks for clarification.
    Like You I will just be using mostly mostly as a data back up for roamig in the EU Country abroad 1-2 days. So I prefer the pne like 1p mpbile where they keep adding until ypu terminate the contract.

How did you get 240 mins, 2500 texts and 2.25 Gb for £5, Is it an contract ot it is still available for new customer ??

Thanks again
    Sky have a £6 a month 2GB deal with UL minutes & texts, all of the unused data rolls overs for up to 3(?) years.
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 20th Jun 19, 10:52 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    richardc1983

Originally posted by VARoberts
    I am looking to move away from three, horrendous data speeds in Edinburgh, Leeds, Skegness, Manchester, Birmingham.

When I have been abroad in a feel at home country I cant even stream spotify or play youtube they throttle it that much.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 20th Jun 19, 7:05 PM
    • 16,278 Posts
    • 133,834 Thanks
    zagubov

Thanks again
    I saw it online a couple of years ago but they seem to have different deals now with more mins and texts but less data.

You have to move fast with their deals, they seem to change them frequently.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 26th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Hey guys,

I see a lot of people in this forum asking advice on the best place to get SIM card deals.

I'd like to suggest SimsForFree.couk

Currently stocking free O2 Sim Cards, including free same day delivery.

Various deals available, plus 'Double Up' Get x2 data, minutes & texts for 12 months
    Originally posted by joepuntor
    New member promoting a website on 2 different threads.

I smell fritter's for tea.
    • Ministry of Crab
    • By Ministry of Crab 28th Jun 19, 8:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ministry of Crab
    I'm on a £7 a month sim only deal with EE and I get 500MB data, 500mins and unllimited texts. The only limit I get close to hitting is the data limit. EE's upgrade options seem seriously overpriced (£16 per month for 1GB!). I'm a bit reluctant to change because I've been paying £7 p/m (peanuts) for as long as I can remember and I don't want to pay a whole lot more.

I'm thinking of switching to Virgin for either £10 p/m for 10GB or £7 p/m for 2GB but I'm concerned that my monthly price will increase when the 12month contract ends. I can't see in the small print what it might change to.

Can anyone advise? Also, if anyone has any wider comments about Virgin Mobile. I understand they piggyback on EE network which is partly why I might move to them.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 28th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 8,168 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Forget price increases; they ALL do it (including EE). You're already paying too much. Get a better deal and switch again at the end of that one.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Jun 19, 11:15 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I'm on a £7 a month sim only deal with EE and I get 500MB data, 500mins and unllimited texts. The only limit I get close to hitting is the data limit. EE's upgrade options seem seriously overpriced (£16 per month for 1GB!). I'm a bit reluctant to change because I've been paying £7 p/m (peanuts) for as long as I can remember and I don't want to pay a whole lot more.

I'm thinking of switching to Virgin for either £10 p/m for 10GB or £7 p/m for 2GB but I'm concerned that my monthly price will increase when the 12month contract ends. I can't see in the small print what it might change to.

Can anyone advise? Also, if anyone has any wider comments about Virgin Mobile. I understand they piggyback on EE network which is partly why I might move to them.
    Originally posted by Ministry of Crab
    Phone them and explain you just need a bit more data without a price rise, if it's a no go (I'd be surprised if so) then simply ask for your PAC. If you want a comparison then Sky do UL minutes & texts plus 2GB of data for just £6 a month and you don't need to be a Sky TV or BB customer anymore. Sky use the O2 network BTW.
    • Ministry of Crab
    • By Ministry of Crab 28th Jun 19, 2:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ministry of Crab
    Phone them and explain you just need a bit more data without a price rise, if it's a no go (I'd be surprised if so) then simply ask for your PAC. If you want a comparison then Sky do UL minutes & texts plus 2GB of data for just £6 a month and you don't need to be a Sky TV or BB customer anymore. Sky use the O2 network BTW.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks so much! I just did this and they quadrupled my data to 2GB for no extra charge. They basically price matched Virgin mobile but also took the cap off my minutes which I hardly use anyway.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 28th Jun 19, 5:23 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    I am with E.E £8 per month all calls unlimited and texts 2 gbt data which is ample for me
    • TomQ
    • By TomQ 3rd Jul 19, 3:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TomQ
    Latest tip (2019-07-03) there is a Three deal (blagged by MSE), but on MSE it says only for New Customers.

The link takes you to a Three shopping basket with a new sim. £9 for 8GB, Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and importantly the "Personal Hotspot"
    and "Go Roam Around the World". On the Three website it doesn't mention a New Customers restriction. Called the "Advanced" plan.

As a current customer, I have the "Essentials" plan, £9.22 (22p inflation since I moved to them a few years ago - was £9) for 4GB, Unl Mins, Unl Texts, but not the Hotspot or Roaming. I can see an option to "Upgrade" from this to "Essentials" 8GB but still not the Hotspot or Roaming.

Has anyone experience in doing this upgrade as I can not see "Essentials" as an option anymore from Three in there store, all seem to be the "Advanced" plan but at a higher price than upgrading through my account or the MSE link (if that will work for me?)?
    • d123
    • By d123 3rd Jul 19, 4:18 PM
    • 7,902 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    d123
    Latest tip (2019-07-03) there is a Three deal (blagged by MSE), but on MSE it says only for New Customers.

The link takes you to a Three shopping basket with a new sim. £9 for 8GB, Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and importantly the "Personal Hotspot"
    and "Go Roam Around the World". On the Three website it doesn't mention a New Customers restriction. Called the "Advanced" plan.

As a current customer, I have the "Essentials" plan, £9.22 (22p inflation since I moved to them a few years ago - was £9) for 4GB, Unl Mins, Unl Texts, but not the Hotspot or Roaming. I can see an option to "Upgrade" from this to "Essentials" 8GB but still not the Hotspot or Roaming.

Has anyone experience in doing this upgrade as I can not see "Essentials" as an option anymore from Three in there store, all seem to be the "Advanced" plan but at a higher price than upgrading through my account or the MSE link (if that will work for me?)?
    Originally posted by TomQ
    Three dropped the Essential plans in December 2018, even existing Essential plan customers were allowed to use hotspot from that date.

Here’s one of the articles about it:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/three-uk-quietly-removes-tethering-caps-from-4g-mobile-plans.html
    Last edited by d123; 03-07-2019 at 4:21 PM.
    ====
    • psul
    • By psul 3rd Jul 19, 7:10 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    psul
    My Wife is on the same 4gb essential plan and has just had a letter and an email informing her that she will be moved to the equivalent advance plan for £14 per month unless she contacts them!
    Don't think we'll bother with negotiating as she can get a similar tariff cheaper than she's already paying from Vodafone and ID.
    • d123
    • By d123 3rd Jul 19, 8:52 PM
    • 7,902 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    d123
    My Wife is on the same 4gb essential plan and has just had a letter and an email informing her that she will be moved to the equivalent advance plan for £14 per month unless she contacts them!
    Don't think we'll bother with negotiating as she can get a similar tariff cheaper than she's already paying from Vodafone and ID.
    Originally posted by psul
    Chances are she’ll get offered a plan at or just under the current plan if she rings up to leave.
    ====
    • TomQ
    • By TomQ 4th Jul 19, 12:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TomQ
    So. Speaking to Three via the rubbish chat (breaks after a few messages - use a pc if you’re doing this) and a phone call. Three think that the £9 contract is with Money Saving Expert. Not with Three
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

7,233Users online

Martin's Twitter