Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 13th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 167Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Usage increased 50% in a year - how to track it dow
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:24 PM
    Usage increased 50% in a year - how to track it dow 13th Jun 19 at 1:24 PM
    Hi

I've determined our electricity usage has increased 50% year on year. Heating is gas so we can exclude that from the equation.

May June last year we used 680 units
    May June this year we used 978 units

Nothing has changed in the house in real terms.

One 4K TV has been replaced with an OLED and an extra TV installed in the guest room (switched off)

We've added an extra pump to the pond - but that alone wont be using that much power as its the same as two others we have.

Other than that, nothing has changed electrically.

How on earth do we go about working out which device has malfunctioned!
Page 2
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 16th Jun 19, 12:43 PM
    • 4,532 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    matelodave
    even a cheap and cheerful pond pump will consume around 25-30 watts. Something a bit more meaty would be 50 plus.

50watts for 24hrs is 1.2kwh x 365 = 438kwh. At 13p/kwh = 57 a year so it's worthwhile checking how much each item uses. Putting them on a timeswitch and only running them for 12 hours a day instead of 24 would halve their consumption

We were horrified when we found tha tthe transformers for our electrically operated recliner chairs took a continuous 15watts each even when the chair wasn't operating.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 16th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Talldave
    even a cheap and cheerful pond pump will consume around 25-30 watts. Something a bit more meaty would be 50 plus.

50watts for 24hrs is 1.2kwh x 365 = 438kwh. At 13p/kwh = 57 a year so it's worthwhile checking how much each item uses. Putting them on a timeswitch and only running them for 12 hours a day instead of 24 would halve their consumption

We were horrified when we found tha tthe transformers for our electrically operated recliner chairs took a continuous 15watts each even when the chair wasn't operating.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    That reminds me of a treadmill I once encountered that consumed 40W when "off", but plugged in.

The pumps are a definite likely suspect.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 8,294 Posts
    • 7,179 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I've worked out the old TV cost us 4.44 per day and the new one 9.20
    Originally posted by woolythoughts
    Based on what? The ratings given on the tv will be maximums given to prevent socket overloading. My tv is rated at 60 watts but in use uses 28 watts.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 7:50 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Based on what? The ratings given on the tv will be maximums given to prevent socket overloading. My tv is rated at 60 watts but in use uses 28 watts.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Well if that is the maximum then its less of an increase.
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 7:52 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Pond pumps:

We have koi so we can't switch them off for 12 hours or we would have dead koi.

We have always had three pond pumps.

The issue isn't our high usage - I'm happy with that as that is what we use.

The issue is in April almost overnight we went from circa 600kw per month to circa 1000kW per month - whilst the TV might account for 10% of that, there literally was nothing else new added.

husband has been off since last June and hasn't suddenly been mainlining tea (we have quooker so no kettles meaning shouldn't have any peak)
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 17th Jun 19, 8:07 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Talldave
    Ok, slightly confused because you referred to an additional pump. Doubly confused as I misunderstood your "May June" figures as for two months, not monthly. So my guesstimates on the TV are wrong. Sorry!

Does your smart meter have a pulsing LED? If so, get a Geo Minim+ and monitor live consumption as you kill circuits on the consumer unit, in order to see where the consumption is going. If there is no flashing LED on the meter, you desperately need a working IHD.

Getting back to dodgy maths, you appear to have gained a 500W load running 24/7 (like a security floodlight left on 24/7?), or it could be a 3kW load running 10 minutes an hour (immersion heater??).

You'll only find it by doing some live monitoring.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Jun 19, 8:08 AM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Robin9

husband has been off since last June and hasn't suddenly been mainlining tea (we have quooker so no kettles meaning shouldn't have any peak)

I have to go back to the fact that your husband has been at home.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Originally posted by Robin9
    He was at home June 2018 - June 2019

the electricity only spiked April 2019
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 17th Jun 19, 8:13 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Talldave
    But he was at home for 8 months before consumption suddenly leapt by 400kWh per month?

Perhaps he was reading "How to set up your own cannabis farm at home"?......
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Ok, slightly confused because you referred to an additional pump. Doubly confused as I misunderstood your "May June" figures as for two months, not monthly. So my guesstimates on the TV are wrong. Sorry!

Does your smart meter have a pulsing LED? If so, get a Geo Minim+ and monitor live consumption as you kill circuits on the consumer unit, in order to see where the consumption is going. If there is no flashing LED on the meter, you desperately need a working IHD.

Getting back to dodgy maths, you appear to have gained a 500W load running 24/7 (like a security floodlight left on 24/7?), or it could be a 3kW load running 10 minutes an hour (immersion heater??).

You'll only find it by doing some live monitoring.
    Originally posted by Talldave
    I was working on what I could see previously but yesterday I put all the usage into a spreadsheet and now have pinpointed it to sometime in April.

Ovo are sending me an IHD so when we get back from holiday, this is exactly what I'll be doing!
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 17th Jun 19, 8:16 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Talldave
    I was working on what I could see previously but yesterday I put all the usage into a spreadsheet and now have pinpointed it to sometime in April.

Ovo are sending me an IHD so when we get back from holiday, this is exactly what I'll be doing!
    Good luck! Do come back and let us know the outcome.
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 8:26 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    I think I know why some people are confused. Its the way I was explaining it.

The reason I compare year on year is because of the fallacy of comparing January consumption with say June consumption - one will almost certainly higher than the other.

For June 2018-Aprilish 2019 the usage was typically the same as June 2018-April 2018

In April/May our bill usually comes down about 50 quid a month - and it didn't this year which is why I looked into it.

April-June our usage is consistently 400kW'ish more than April-June last year and is running almost the same as it was in January!
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    The spreadsheet

The grey values were pre-hottub

The blue are two periods we were on holiday

The red values are what I'm concerned about (June is a projection based on having used 490kW by the 15th)
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Jun 19, 8:34 AM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Robin9
    I think I know why some people are confused. Its the way I was explaining it.
    April-June our usage is consistently 400kW'ish more than April-June last year and is running almost the same as it was in January!
    Still a little confused when you say "April -June" do you mean that in April and May and June ie every month your consumption in 400 kwh more than it was in the same months last year ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th Jun 19, 8:50 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Still a little confused when you say "April -June" do you mean that in April and May and June ie every month your consumption in 400 kwh more than it was in the same months last year ?
    Yes - but the previous months were consistent with the previous year,
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 6,180 Posts
    • 35,779 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Perhaps he is having lots of toast!

no I cannot help, but you should monitor what is on! we saved 15% on our electric sue by installing LED lighting around our house.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 18th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    brianposter
    Why did your consumption decrease so much between September 2016 and September 2018 ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,156Posts Today

6,561Users online

Martin's Twitter