Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Fudgelet2222
    • By Fudgelet2222 15th Jun 19, 9:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Alternative accommodation and out of pocket costs.
    • #1
    • 15th Jun 19, 9:50 AM
    Alternative accommodation and out of pocket costs. 15th Jun 19 at 9:50 AM

    Over 5 weeks ago now we had a flood under the floorboards. A loss adjuster was sent by the insurance and weve been put into alternative accommodation some 12 miles from home.

    At first we were just grateful to be somewhere habitable and whilst we still are the travel costs are now adding up. Weve asked the loss adjuster if were entitled to any fuel costs as were covering an extra 48 miles per day now to get the children to and from school. (We do two round trips a day.) weve been offered 10p a mile. Although its better than nothing it wont go a huge way towards our fuel costs and weve been absorbing these costs in the short term, however no work has started and were fearing this could go on for many months to come.

    My question is are we expecting too much to have all out fuel costs covered as the location of the accommodation is out of our control or should we be happy with this token sum of mileage or should we ask them if we can negotiate a slightly higher price. We dont want to make a profit or have anything were not entitled to, we just dont want to be out of pocket for too long as the money has got to come from somewhere so ultimately will effect our day to day quality of living. The insurance policy is very vague and just lists reasonable costs.
Page 1
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 14th Jul 19, 2:38 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Jul 19, 2:38 PM
    • #2
    • 14th Jul 19, 2:38 PM
    10p is not enough IMHO... They should be paying for both the fuel and the additional wear and tear. Use as a guide when discussing this with your Insurers. (Other mileage rate guides may be out there, too).

    Consider advising your vehicle insurers of your temporary address and additional miles. Both may affect your premium.

    If the Insurers are also paying a daily 'disruption allowance' in addition to the accommodation, though, they may consider that covers some of the extra travel costs?

    Depending on what has happened at your home you'll likely find that nothing much will happen before a 'drying certificate' is issued. We had "an escape of water" that needed ceilings tearing down to find and fix the multiple leaks. We then had many weeks of industrial dehumidifiers running before it was dry enough to replace, plaster, redecorate and re-carpet. They use hour meters to recompense the electricity used.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

  • Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the?

  • Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot?

  • Follow Martin