Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SG27
    • By SG27 21st Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 2,716Posts
    • 1,914Thanks
    SG27
    Constantly straining one leg after running.
    • 21st Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    Constantly straining one leg after running. 21st Apr 19 at 9:08 AM
    I've been running for years and never had any sort of injury from running before.

Last year in June I injured my back and couldnt run for about 9 months until it got better. Since then, I have strained my right hamstring after every run. It hurt for about week after running a 10km. I tried resting for a couple of months but as soon as I run the same thing happens again. I also noticed that my whole right leg is actually been overworked as it can sometimes take a full day more for my right leg to fully recover than it does for my left.

For example friday I ran 10km, today my left leg is fully recovered but my right still aches, including my calf and hamstring which again feels strained.

Anyone what I can do to fix this? I am obviously running and overworking my right side but dont how to stop!
Page 1
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 21st Apr 19, 10:49 AM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 2,548 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 21st Apr 19, 10:49 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 10:49 AM
    You need an assessment from a physio, we cannot tell you whats wrong over the internet. There is a wide range of potential causes. At a guess based on what you have said I would say your hamstring is compensating because your back never fully recovered and eventually breaks down as a result. But I cannot tell you where exactly and to what extent.

If you are not fixing the cause then all you are doing is waiting for the hamstring to get better and then putting it through exactly the same and it will just get injured again. Get it checked out by an expert, who can then tell you what the problem is and how to fix it.

For the time being stop running.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 22nd Apr 19, 11:12 AM
    • 7,754 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    • 22nd Apr 19, 11:12 AM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 11:12 AM
    Agree with the above, you are somehow running in a way that’s causing a problem in your right leg, most likely to protect the part of yourself that you injured previously. Actually you’re kind of lucky that your body is telling you so clearly there’s a problem - often you don’t know until years later when the habit is ingrained. Totally agree you need to see a good sports physio to figure out what is going on, and then most likely a programme of stretches or some kind of running exercises to retrain your body into the correct gait.

Good luck!

• Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 22nd Apr 19, 6:16 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 22nd Apr 19, 6:16 PM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 6:16 PM
    Not saying a physio won't help, but if it's a gait problem I would want to see a podiatrist, not a physio.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 23rd Apr 19, 11:08 AM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    SG27
    • 23rd Apr 19, 11:08 AM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 11:08 AM
    I think you are right I need to bite the bullet and see a physiotherapist. I have been stretching my back and legs everyday and I have seen and improvement but its still causing my problems and stopping me running as much or as fast as I want to.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 24th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 24th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    • 24th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    I once had achilles tendonitis in one leg from playing football and it turned out that my pelvic girdle was out significantly (don't know why) but the physio manipulated it, gave me an exercise to correct it and with a bit of rest too I've never had a reoccurrence.

There are quite a number of potential reasons so off to the expert you should go!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 25th Apr 19, 2:04 AM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 25th Apr 19, 2:04 AM
    • 25th Apr 19, 2:04 AM
    Hamstring problemss are most often a glute/ pelvic stability issue.

Nine months from June is March .... It is only April. You should not be running 10K, let alone aiming to run further and faster. Ligaments and tendons take much longer to strengthen in response to high impact exercise than muscles. Hence beginners programmes are run-walk with rest days.

Daily stretching can do more harm than good, depending what and how and when you are stretching. Sports massage/ self myofascial release may be more appropriate given the history of an injury. Have a proper movement assessment.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 19th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 19th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 19th May 19, 9:18 AM
    Start going to some Pilates classes. It will help if you strengthen your core and postural muscles which will then help you with any injuries you’re getting from strength imbalance and muscle imbalance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,928Users online

Martin's Twitter