Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,442Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 10:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 1:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1247
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Oct 18, 11:02 AM
    • 24,764 Posts
    • 52,144 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Agreed.

I found that out with this house - as I was told to choose what style (ie colour etc) of brick I wanted for something and duly thought "The photo shows that type of brick used to build a home - must be sturdy etc".

To subsequently think - "Those bricks he used don't look that great quality to me. How can that be - when they've been used to build a house there?"

Then I found out that there is this concept of "seconds" bricks and I'd be willing to bet that's what he used. Well - we didn't agree "seconds bricks" - we agreed "bricks". There was no mention anywhere of them being seconds
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Another example of 'Perfidious Cambria'?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 11:05 AM
    • 28,711 Posts
    • 100,667 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Ah, but it was much worse in the old days.....(Click on page 163)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PRoGuF1Ju_0C&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=Perfid %20%20ious+Cambria&source=bl&ots=eSrtG3WV2m&sig=Do ju3w78%20%2072shQLAnHp-sOuYxC8M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4mO7E4IDeAhVqB8AKH %20%20eAyBHYQ6AEwB3oECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=Perfidious %20Cam%20%20bria&f=true

...and they hadn't even invented bricks then!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 12-10-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 12th Oct 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    WOW!!! MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!
    I wonder if the estate agent was drunk when they wrote this one.
    Originally posted by julicorn
    Maybe the EA is going for the dodgy ebay seller technique of marketing. Not quite all the way there though, they should have stared the listing with "L@@K!!!!!" for the full effect.
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 14th Oct 18, 11:32 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Mardle
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67705006.html

The local paper got pictures before the house clearance.
    https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/inside-amazing-time-capsule-cottage-2097953
    • dirty_magic
    • By dirty_magic 14th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    dirty_magic
    Two year old egg on the stove?!
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 14th Oct 18, 12:03 PM
    • 2,597 Posts
    • 72,200 Thanks
    D_M_E
    On the righthand side of the Rightmove listing it shows one property in the area sold on 28th September 2019 will it be something converted out of the 4-bed place?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Oct 18, 12:07 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Off topic, but regional newspaper websites seem to be universally shockingly bad. Pretty much unusable due to the assault of pop ups and ads. My local, the Sheffield Star, is the same. I get they need the revenue, but there can't be much revenue if no one visits the sites.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 18, 1:28 PM
    • 28,711 Posts
    • 100,667 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Off topic, but regional newspaper websites seem to be universally shockingly bad. Pretty much unusable due to the assault of pop ups and ads.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Didn't see anything much ad-wise on the Grimsby site, but I use a pop up blocker.

Paper was dire though! Not a very sensitive report.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 14th Oct 18, 4:41 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 7,131 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Really difficult to load that site in. But seeing as it's modern auction, listed and in need of major refurb, that's me out. I can't even be bothered to work out what a desolate window is.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Oct 18, 7:50 AM
    • 8,206 Posts
    • 14,917 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Off topic, but regional newspaper websites seem to be universally shockingly bad. Pretty much unusable due to the assault of pop ups and ads. My local, the Sheffield Star, is the same. I get they need the revenue, but there can't be much revenue if no one visits the sites.
    They aren't getting the readership figures as well. Leicester Mercury is 80p a day and 85p on Saturdays. It was 25p for many years.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Oct 18, 7:51 AM
    • 8,206 Posts
    • 14,917 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    How long did it take the house clearance company to clear the property?
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 18th Oct 18, 7:55 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 2,268 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    The bath. Why?
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76491962.html
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 18th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Loads of local papers are owned by a small group of companies so it's not a surprise they are often similarly poor.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Oct 18, 6:56 AM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 49,211 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    There are worse local newspapers than poor quality/loads of adverts.

There are ones that are extremely biased to (a particular group of) local people.....instead of actually being a "proper newspaper"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Oct 18, 7:09 AM
    • 28,711 Posts
    • 100,667 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Used to bath children.....costs less to heat a given depth of water....house owned by midgets... are a few possibles.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 19th Oct 18, 9:33 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    cloo
    Done quite well for a basement flat, but one bedroom and the bathroom only accessible through the kitchen?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56812698.html
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 19th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    I've checked back a couple of pages to see if this had been posted already
    https://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/49284625

I'd buy it if the decking was from the same era.

Highlight for me: Left of the kitchen sink, the thing consuming Xmas decorations.
    Originally posted by LisbonLaura
    It's all a bit "Colin Hunt", for me.

• LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 19th Oct 18, 10:25 AM
    • 24,764 Posts
    • 52,144 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    There are worse local newspapers than poor quality/loads of adverts.

There are ones that are extremely biased to (a particular group of) local people.....instead of actually being a "proper newspaper"
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It's a local paper for local people. There's nothing in it for the likes of you.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Oct 18, 3:01 PM
    • 8,206 Posts
    • 14,917 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Done quite well for a basement flat, but one bedroom and the bathroom only accessible through the kitchen?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56812698.html
    Originally posted by cloo
    There are two bedrooms, master off the kitchen which as very narrow en-suite wetroom (same width as a toilet with 6 inch gap. The other bedroom - pic 4 is off the living room.

No external photos.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 19th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Not what I would call a 'HIGHLY EXECUTIVE FINISH' as the estate agent calls it, but then again it does have a Large brick paved DIVE (albeit full of weeds) and a LAW area at the back (which probably hasn't seen a mower this year.
    However it does have an exceedingly high wall cupboard in the kitchen and the Gym really has wow factor.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76025909.html
    Originally posted by swingaloo
    This property listing:
    This GORGEOUS property has been finished to an exceptionally high standard
    Also this property listing:

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin