Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    LaLa 22
    Is anyone starting from scratch???
    • 8th Jul 12, 11:55 AM
    Is anyone starting from scratch??? 8th Jul 12 at 11:55 AM
    Heya,

I've been reading a lot of savings diaries on here over the weekend but it has daunted me a little....as a lot of them already have a large amount of savings to start with!

Is anyone starting saving from scratch, literally 0? Because thats where I am at the moment and I feel a little useless now haha!

Im 23 and rent with my boyfriend so I'm not left with a huge amount after bills etc...

Would love to hear anyone thats in a similar situation

Thanks guys!

xx

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 21-12-2012 at 1:32 PM.
    Saving plan #1 : CAR

300/ 4850

Page 17
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th May 15, 4:43 PM
    • 14,023 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hi.

I'm 20 and am a fairly regular saver but overtime has dried up at work just when I need it - during summer hols from uni. My problem is, almost all my basic wage is eaten up by flat bills and my car finance and insurance. This means getting to Septembers loan payment may be a struggle!!

However, I did get 2000 inheritance when a relative passed last year, however I'd like to use that as my base rather than dipping into it. I currently have 2 TSB Class Plus accounts at their max but obviously will be reduced over the tight summer.

Any ideas on what I can do to make some money between now and Sept?

Great thread btw, very encouraging stories!
    Originally posted by dontdothatagain

Hi welcome. Have you thought of a Saturday job (lots of places recruit in the summer) or maybe bar work if you have the time?
    Christmas Fund 168
    Reminder: summer is about making money
    • dontdothatagain
    • By dontdothatagain 17th May 15, 2:22 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    dontdothatagain
    Hi savingwannabe

I have been looking at other jobs (to go alongside my current one) and cant find any at the moment however a member of staff has just left my department so hopefully I can take his hours on.
    May Overtime - 76.23
    June - 176.05 (so far)

Long way to go!!
    • davenport151
    • By davenport151 1st Jun 15, 5:53 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    davenport151
    dontdothatagain -ain't that the way with overtime!
    Until my hours increased with another regular day I relied on this when my colleague was off sick or on leave. Then it got to the point that I was not always asked to cover.
    Hope you can pick up those extra hours.

Still building up the pot a little before I start tackling those bigger home jobs.
    Self employed after redundancy

• dontdothatagain
    • By dontdothatagain 2nd Jun 15, 10:40 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    dontdothatagain
    davenport - It appears to be the way! I have no been given 4 hours extra onto my contract (c. 29/week more!) so things should be improving over the summer. The financial results were good and it seems the staffing budgets have increased so maybe some overtime is on the cards!

Good thing as I've just came back from a pretty expensive holiday!
    May Overtime - 76.23
    June - 176.05 (so far)

Long way to go!!
    • blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 4th Jun 15, 12:02 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    blue_mango
    Oh nooo...here I am again, starting from scratch!!!

Been out of work for over two months, haven't claimed any benefits therefore have completely used up my emergency fund... Starting my new job next week, only a part time role so will have to be good at budgeting in order to save! Will try to put a thousand aside as soon as possible and then 100 monthly.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 9th Jun 15, 8:49 AM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 15,032 Thanks
    oldtractor
    shows the need to have a savings pot blue mango.
    • dontdothatagain
    • By dontdothatagain 16th Jun 15, 12:05 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    dontdothatagain
    Just been given some more hours for this month so hopefully next months wage will be decent. Also getting a bonus of 80 from work so July's pay is looking better than forecast!
    May Overtime - 76.23
    June - 176.05 (so far)

Long way to go!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,336Posts Today

7,971Users online

Martin's Twitter